Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

One of my pals was at the Threave Rovers game last weekend and got talking to some old boy who was asking a few questions. Seemingly the old boy was there to complete visiting every ground in the WOSFL. He can't drive and used public transport to every game. Now that is a few random games.

Dunbar United 0 Cumbernauld Colts 1 HT. South Challenge Cup Fourth Round.

In an attempt to avoid frozen pitches, waterlogged pitches, plastic pitches and caravan pitches I ended up here in the ever sunny Dunbar.

The most interesting thing that’s happened so far was in the pub before the game. There was a guy talking about “taking on a whole village (Crieff) in 1992, 1993 or 1994” for which he ended up with a criminal record but apparently grew up really quickly thereafter. I was rapt. 

I’ve not lived a quiet life, but even I would shy away from taking on all of Crieff at once. Look forward to reading his memoir.

Anyway, game here is rather pedestrian. Cumbernauld scored from a counter attack off a Dunbar corner, and that’s about all that has happened of note.

Trains spotted: 

CrossCountry x2

Scotrail

Lumo

LNER x3

TGV

IMG_9830.jpeg

IMG_9827.jpeg

IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_9844.jpeg

Carluke Rovers 2-1 Saltcoats Victoria 

Not just the Scottish Cup this weekend by the way. Full card in the lower tiers (weather notwithstanding) and we were in South Lanarkshire for the West 4th division match between Carluke and Saltcoats

The visitors garnered a fair but of public attention early on with some memorable moments such as 13-0 loses and playing 16 year old goalkeeper's outfield. Things seem to be settling down now though with a new management team and committee.

The hosts have been at the John Cumming stadium since 2011 and, take note Meadowbank, this is how you do football in an athletics stadium. Raised stand and plenty room round the sides. To remind Edinburgh Council, this is tenth tier. Speaking to the Carluke Committee man they themselves have several new recruits, and I am reliably informed that all the paperwork is in order!

Not a huge amount of quality on show but a magnificent strike opened the scoring for the hosts. The Vics level after a questionable offside call but Rovers are back in front at half time. A quiet second half sees the points stay with the hosts.

Enjoyed this. Good stadium, for what it is, people from both clubs came and said hello. £27 for the Premiership or £6 for the tenth tier. You decide

20240120_133024.jpg

20240120_150415.jpg

20240120_141013.jpg

Broughty Athletic 5 Montrose Roselea 1

Crowd clearly boosted by the other postponements as there were a few coats/hats for other Midlands League clubs visible.

Broughty were the better team in the 1st half, but didn't capitalise on their chances and only led 1-0 at the break. They scored again early in the 2nd half but Roselea got a goal back almost immediately. A crazy spell began when a Broughty shot came of the bar and looked as though it had gone in. No goal was given but they did get awarded a penalty and Roselea were reduced to 10 men. After converting the penalty, their further 2 goals also came from penalties, the first just 2 minutes later and the other one 7 minutes after that. Some Roselea fans were not happy about all the penalty awards but they did look fair.

20240120_192747.jpg

20240120_192804.jpg

20240120_192829.jpg

Edited by forfarton

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Dunbar United 0 Cumbernauld Colts 1 HT. South Challenge Cup Fourth Round.

In an attempt to avoid frozen pitches, waterlogged pitches, plastic pitches and caravan pitches I ended up here in the ever sunny Dunbar.

The most interesting thing that’s happened so far was in the pub before the game. There was a guy talking about “taking on a whole village (Crieff) in 1992, 1993 or 1994” for which he ended up with a criminal record but apparently grew up really quickly thereafter. I was rapt. 

I’ve not lived a quiet life, but even I would shy away from taking on all of Crieff at once. Look forward to reading his memoir.

Anyway, game here is rather pedestrian. Cumbernauld scored from a counter attack off a Dunbar corner, and that’s about all that has happened of note.

Trains spotted: 

CrossCountry x2

Scotrail

Lumo

LNER x3

TGV

IMG_9830.jpeg

IMG_9827.jpeg

IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_9844.jpeg

I hope you had a pie or sausage roll at the ground. Certainly the best I've had. Wasn't there today, but at a pre season game.

30 minutes ago, philpy said:

I hope you had a pie or sausage roll at the ground. Certainly the best I've had. Wasn't there today, but at a pre season game.

I had a steak pie. It was good, very good in fact, but I would suggest none so fine as a Dalkeith Thistle pie!

Cliftonville 3 v 0 Ballymena

Decent game, better standard than I thought it would be, 3rd goal an absolute cracker. Nice to see a wee cameo from former Morton player Conor Pepper. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

Padiham 5-1 Ramsbottom United (3-0 HT) @ The Ruby Civil Arena 🌱. North West Counties League, Premier Division. Boxing Day🎄 3pm. The home side opened the scoring after 12 minutes and never looked back to move clear of the visitors and up ⬆️ the table. Crowd 337.

IMG_3240.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

IMG_3241.jpeg

Burnley 0-2 Liverpool (0-1 HT) @ Turf Moor 🌱. Premier League. Boxing Day🎄 5.30pm. Nunez with a brilliant opener as Liverpool dominated for an hour but after 2 VAR 📺 disallowed goals made hard work of it until Jota sealed it in injury time. Crowd 21,624.

IMG_3243.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

IMG_3245.jpeg

Hibernian 0-1 Heart of Midlothian (0-0 HT) @ Easter Road Stadium 🌱. 27.12.23. 8pm. Both sides missed penalties following handballs inside the first 15 minutes and it was a tight one until Lawrence Shankland 🚀 won it in added time. Scenes in the away end 💥. Crowd 20,150.

IMG_3246.jpeg

IMG_3247.jpeg

IMG_3248.jpeg

Heart of Midlothian 2-2 Ross County (0-1 HT) @ Tynecastle Park 🌱. 3pm. With the weather ❄️ wiping out the local non league card stayed local. A good game with County impressive (Yan Dhanda 🔥) and led 2-0 until a late comeback from Hearts earned them a point. Crowd 18,288.

IMG_3249.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell (1-1 HT) @ Easter Road Stadium 🌱. cinch SPFL Premiership. 02.01.24. ⏰ 3pm. Hibs well on top for half an hour but the visitors levelled and looked to have won it before an injury time equaliser ⚽️ for Hibs. Crowd 16,796.

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_3253.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

Heart of Midlothian B 12-0 Edinburgh University (7-0 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. Friday night Lowland League action ⚽️. 7.45pm. The impressive young Hearts ran out huge winners and even saw a penalty saved 🧤 just before half time. Crowd 225.

IMG_3255.jpeg

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg

Falkirk 1-0 Queen of the South (0-0 HT) @ Falkirk Stadium ❄️. cinch League One. 3pm. The Doonhamers frustrated the league leaders for 45 minutes but conceded ⚽️ just after the restart and never threatened an equaliser. The home side now unbeaten in 24 games 🔥. Crowd 4769.

IMG_3258.jpeg

IMG_3259.jpeg

IMG_3260.jpeg

Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool (0-0 HT) @ Emirates Stadium 🏟. FA Cup Round 3. 4.30pm. The home side well on top in the 1st half but don’t take their chances. Jurgen Klopp changed it at the break and Liverpool won it with 2 late strikes. Crowd 58,538.

IMG_3261.jpeg

Hutchison Vale 1-2 Broxburn Athletic 💥 (0-1 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. 7.45pm. Brilliant game at the top of the EOSFL Premier Division. The visitors 2-0 up from the spot and long range but the home side fought back and just couldn’t find an equaliser. Crowd 336. 

IMG_3262.jpeg

IMG_3264.jpeg

IMG_3263.jpeg

Vale of Leithen 1-6 Newtongrange Star (0-2 HT) @ Victoria Park 🌱. 2.30pm. Bottom 🆚 Top in the EOSFL 1st Division and some clinical finishing saw the Star ⭐️ run out convincing winners. Vale had their chances but could only manage a consolation at 0-4. Crowd 101.

IMG_3265.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg

IMG_3266.jpeg

Rangers 2-2 FC Copenhagen 🇩🇰 (1-0 HT) @ Ibrox Stadium 🌱. 8pm. The home side twice ahead but the visitors levelled twice both times heading ⚽️ in from corners at the near post. Decent game for a friendly. Crowd of around 20,000.

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3270.jpeg

IMG_3269.jpeg

Spartans 1-2 Heart of Midlothian (0-1 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. Scottish Cup 🏆 R4. 12:15pm. Hearts ahead early on but Spartans stunned 💥 them with a brilliant James Craigen equaliser before a stoppage time winner. Sell out crowd of 3500 brilliantly hosted by Spartans 🇦🇹.

IMG_3273.jpeg

IMG_3274.jpeg

IMG_3272.jpeg

Bonnyrigg Rose 2-1 Falkirk (1-1 HT) @ New Dundas Park 🌱. Scottish Cup 🏆 R4. Brilliant cup tie which passed a morning pitch inspection. The home side 🌹 ahead early on but the 26 game unbeaten visitors levelled. With ET looming Rose won it in 90th minute. Scenes 💥. Crowd 1801.

IMG_3276.jpeg

IMG_3277.jpeg

IMG_3275.jpeg