From Dusk till Dawn: The Series

King Kebab

Starting March 11th, really, really not sure how to take this, love the movie, it is a classic after all, but for me at least, I really think that this series is going to go one of two ways, it's either going to suck big time, or it's going to be excellent!!!

I do get the impression that those involved are just trying to junp on the True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Twilight thing going on just now and are willing to churn this out, and risk the standing of the Cult Classic that they have on their hands, in order to just hitch their cart to the rolling undead bandwagon!!!

Apparently the show will explore and expand on the characters and basic story from the film, providing a wider scope for the characters and a richer Aztec mythology, while expanding on the chronicles of the Gecko Brothers: Seth and Ritchie, The Fuller family and Santanico Pandemonium!!!

It is going to be broadcast by Robert Rodriguez's newly-launched channel El Rey in association with Miramax and will be executive produced by Rodriguez himself, perhaps this is the only thing in it's favour so far, and probably the only thing that will make longtime fans watch it, is this involvement by one of the franchise's creator, Robert Rodrieguez!!!!

As long as the Gecko Brothers end up in a undead Stripclub fighting Vampire Whores at some point then I'm in, but I'm not holding my breath just incase!!!

I'll give it a good few episodes, probably the whole season and see how it is.

The film is obviously fantastic, I'm not sure how the actors will stack up to their original counterparts. The guy playing Richie is probably got it alright, Tarantino's not the best but Clooney was great and Michael Parks is terrific in the role of Earl McGraw (throughout the films), it'll be tough.

Big Kahuna Burger in that trailer though!

• 1 month later...

So is anyone watching this? I came across it on Netflix yesterday, it's being marketed as a Netflix original over here so the episodes are released as they air in in the US.

I thought the first couple of episodes were decent, it's been a bit different from the film so far but that's probably a good thing.

I am actually enjoying it, much to my surprise!!!

They really are expanding the story, I'll have to watch the film again, but I reckon that the first two episodes have only covered the first 10 to 15 minutes of the film, the backstory that was only hinted at for the Gecko Brothers in the original film is certainly beginning to be told indepth as well, as off Episode 2, the Fullers!!!

The guy playing Seth, is playing it pretty much like Clooney, and I'm fairly happy with his portrayal but I'm having a harder time taking to the guy playing Richie, probably because he's actually very good and playing the mental Gecko as it should be done, Tarantino is such a Bombscare of a performer, that he can make any part his own as his inherant shiteyness as an actor really makes any parts he plays really become oneoffs and perhaps a bit unplayable by any other actor!!!

They're still not at the Titty Twister yet and the Vampire element of the story is only now being hinted at, but it's still worth keeping with!!!

If Chet isn't there though, I am going to be awfy upset!!!

wussiest-vampires-chet.png

Yeah, I'm digging it too. I'm disappointed Earl got killed, Don Johnson was playing him very well.

Richie and Seth are quality. I wonder how they'll extend it because it looks like they'll meet up with the family soon enough.

Wilmer Valderrama is a great addition though.

The first two episodes were certainly great and I'll be with it till the end of the season so hopefully it keeps up.

Yeah, I'm digging it too. I'm disappointed Earl got killed, Don Johnson was playing him very well.

Richie and Seth are quality. I wonder how they'll extend it because it looks like they'll meet up with the family soon enough.

Wilmer Valderrama is a great addition though.

The first two episodes were certainly great and I'll be with it till the end of the season so hopefully it keeps up.

Yeah, it's good to see him in something again. I loved him in That 70s Show but he's not really been in anything of note since.

Tbh I think they've done well with the cast. The Geckos are both really good, like you said Don Johnson played Earl nicely, I'd say even better than the original guy from the film, and I think Robert Patrick will be good as Jacob. The only iffy ones could be the Fuller kids.

I like that we're seeing more of Richie's insanity and it will be interesting to see it how it plays out with the Aztec stuff.

like you said Don Johnson played Earl nicely, I'd say even better than the original guy from the film

I think I'll need to rewatch the film, I totally can't remember Earl McGraw being in From Dusk Till Dawn. I remember him in Grindhouse and Kill Bill but not this.

I'm not sure I'd say he was better than Earl in those films I do remember him from though. Michael Parks is tremendous.

Unwritten rules and all that???

Remember you got upset when I put up an image that perhaps showed that the Governer had a moustache!!! ;)

Agree about Wilmer Valderrama though, have only seen him in Awake, but I did think he was good in that!!!

And now you come to mention it, I can't see why they have written out McGraw's usual partner, which is always his son and introduced Freddie, perhaps Rodriguez's wants a more Hispanic bent in this series than perhaps he was allowed earlier in his career, but do you not think that perhaps Freddie's now obssesive revenge mission may have carried more weight if his partner was still his actual son Edgar as opposed to someone who just looked up to him as a Father-figure???

But then again was Edgar not an idiot in the films or am I thinking of Smokey and the Bandit???

Unwritten rules and all that???

Remember you got upset when I put up an image that perhaps showed that the Governer had a moustache!!! ;)

This is on Netflix here, so when it gets put up on Netflix then that's it technically "aired" here.

It should only be spoilered if it's either not aired anywhere (like your photo of the Governor) or if it's aired in the States but not here yet.

I broke neither.

This is on Netflix here, so when it gets put up on Netflix then that's it technically "aired" here.

It should only be spoilered if it's either not aired anywhere (like your photo of the Governor) or if it's aired in the States but not here yet.

I broke neither.

Think the Netflix Argument is a bit tenuous, not everybody has or uses it, but then again not everybody has SKY!!!

Think we need a hard and fast rule regarding it!!!

Anyway I know you were just upset because Danny Trejo never got the part of The Governor, so we let it slide then, so lets just gloss over it again!!! ;)

Anyway have you watched the third one yet??/

Might as well keep the Thread alive, as it appears only the three of us are watching it!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching it. They have just reached the Titty Twister..... still to watch this weeks episode.

Loved the movie, so had to give this a go. I thought I would hate a new Seth and Ritchie, but both actors have done extremely well. Also, love how certain bits have been pretty much remade scene for scene. The meeting in the store is quite similar, and Seth walking in front of the RV at the Motel. wtc.

I do like the backstories being expanded, and there now being a link between Ritchie and the lure of the Vampire women....

BUT. My favourite thing of the whole film was how this all happened by accident. The Titty Twister meeting was arranged by an idiotic Carlos, who had no idea what the place was like! And I did like how Ritchie was originally just a fucked up sex pest instead of this "inside information".

But still, it all works well. Still waiting for DARK NIGHT getting played, that would make my day.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok four of us watching it now!!!

I have to admit contrary to the initial trepidations that I had about this show, I am really, really enjoying it, if only more people would watch it and comment!!!

Also to say that it has been signed up for a second season, so it's obviously ticking the right boxes of those that matter and make such desicions!!!

Where's Chet???

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it too.

I'm slightly disappointed they've not thrown in as many references or direct translations from the film (like Chet's pussy monologue or something like the band playing Dark Night) but at the same time, it means that each thing is more separate and they can be enjoyed on their own.

The guys playing the Geckos are fantastic, they've improved week on week. I don't think any of the other cast are really a patch on their film counterparts though, maybe Earl McGraw but I'd probably lean Michael Parks on that one, too.

I'm not really sure where it'll go after the Titty Twister though, I guess it can literally go anywhere. I wonder if they survivors will be the same as in the film.

Lovin this series - how fuckin hot is santanico

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3302481664/nm2555462

Nowhere near as hot as the original.

I've been watching it since the start and was a bit meh to it, though given the decent performances and the people behind it have stuck with it. As it's went on it's got better, particularly where it has began to move away from the movie. The original had too many classic scenes that when they try and recreate it just didn't live up to expectations. Episodes 7 and 8 where they've began to really build up the newer elements of the story in terms of the mythos have been a great improvement.

Lovin this series - how fuckin hot is santanico

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3302481664/nm2555462

That's not even a great picture of her, tbh, any time you see her in the show she looks absolutely tremendous.

It's certainly picked up in the last few episodes. The army guy just felt weird in the most recent episode, a bit too random and unnecessary. Looking forward to the last two episodes.

Episode 9 was really mixed for me. Enjoyed some of the concepts they brought up and some decent performances (particularly from the Geckos) but sadly let down by some very old school TV directing. The twists in particular were sign posted a mile off and took the edge from them, compare that against what you get in shows such as Game of Thrones and it's light years behind.

• 7 months later...

Archived