Pregnancy And Parenting

That's why part of me is delighted I opted for redundancy now, I'd hate to go through this whilst working. Hopefully by the time I'm back into it, she'll be sleeping longer at nights.

Watch out for growth spurts SD, the first one will be starting soon, where the kid basically wants fed around every hour or so, that can last around 2-3 days, and it's not great fun.

Those days I basically sat on my bet with the West Wing in the DVD player and child latched on! Thank god I had a good box set. Anyone recommend another good series to get for when I have sprog 2?!

That's why part of me is delighted I opted for redundancy now, I'd hate to go through this whilst working. Hopefully by the time I'm back into it, she'll be sleeping longer at nights.

Watch out for growth spurts SD, the first one will be starting soon, where the kid basically wants fed around every hour or so, that can last around 2-3 days, and it's not great fun.

Yes, I think in your position, as long as your relatively sure you can find work again in six months or something and don't get completely out of the way of working, that's worked out really well for you.

My employers have been brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Take as much time as you need, don't worry about anything and they haven't considered dropping me to paternity pay rates either. But at the end of the day I have a job to do and whilst the timing of the birth couldn't have been much better in terms of work commitments, a new month means a pile of work rolling round again that I need to move on. A lot of what I do isn't done by anyone else in the firm either and, whilst it obviously could be if I was long term unavailable, I can't afford to leave things to pile up long. So I intend to go back full time on Monday and see how we get on unless anything changes radically between now and then. I will try to minimise the late nights though (I tend to still be at the office after 6pm frequently) for the time being. I have every confidence Maureen will cope on her own (and my mother lives about 30 yards away if needs be and hers is retiring next week too albeit she lives 12 miles away) but I want to help as much as I can.

Growth spurts, eh? No-one's mentioned that yet. :unsure:

Yes, I think in your position, as long as your relatively sure you can find work again in six months or something and don't get completely out of the way of working, that's worked out really well for you.

My employers have been brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Take as much time as you need, don't worry about anything and they haven't considered dropping me to paternity pay rates either. But at the end of the day I have a job to do and whilst the timing of the birth couldn't have been much better in terms of work commitments, a new month means a pile of work rolling round again that I need to move on. A lot of what I do isn't done by anyone else in the firm either and, whilst it obviously could be if I was long term unavailable, I can't afford to leave things to pile up long. So I intend to go back full time on Monday and see how we get on unless anything changes radically between now and then. I will try to minimise the late nights though (I tend to still be at the office after 6pm frequently) for the time being. I have every confidence Maureen will cope on her own (and my mother lives about 30 yards away if needs be and hers is retiring next week too albeit she lives 12 miles away) but I want to help as much as I can.

Growth spurts, eh? No-one's mentioned that yet. :unsure:

There are all sorts of things no one mentions to you and you find out and cope along the way!

Trapped wind is a right pain I know already thanks.

Non-parents and midwives look away now - Is it normal for him not to 'poo' for a good many hours? :unsure: He's been eating and pooing for Scotland up to yesterday but hasn't had a number 2 since 8pm last night. He's not moaning or crying and still eating fine but as he's gone four nappy changes without any sign "mum" is starting to panic. I think he's most likely fine though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Non-parents and midwives look away now - Is it normal for him not to 'poo' for a good many hours? :unsure:

I was panicking about that in the first week too.

Don't worry though, some newborns only 'poo' once every two or three days. Kirtsy was like that for the first week or so then she became more regular, so it's normal. You'd only need to be concerned if Thomas was showing obvious signs of discomfort (ie constipation).

I think formula fed babies poo more regularly than breastfed ones, but once a day is still normal at that age.

StewartyMac, baby expert in three weeks :lol:

Don't worry though, some newborns only 'poo' once every two or three days. Kirtsy was like that for the first week or so then she became more regular, so it's normal. You'd only need to be concerned if Thomas was showing obvious signs of discomfort (ie constipation).

I think formula fed babies poo more regularly than breastfed ones, but once a day is still normal at that age.

Yeah, that's what I said. He's vocal when he wants to be and wouldn't be slow to let us know if he wasn't comfortable. Mum panics though and he has been "frequent" since birth. He is formula fed.

Yeah, that's what I said. He's vocal when he wants to be and wouldn't be slow to let us know if he wasn't comfortable. Mum panics though and he has been "frequent" since birth. He is formula fed.

No rushing out to Tescos in the dead of night for savoy cabbages for you, or calls of 'look at my nipple is that right ?'

I've held my tongue for as long as I can, and I just have to say, what a bunch of jessies. You'd think noone had ever had a baby before.

I could have had a boat, but no! Weans. :angry:

Aw this greetin' and moanin'. Get oan wey it. Ma maw wis back in the fields twa oors efter. :angry:

Oh aye, and gentlemen, don't think you get away with this pain free.

When she says "snip" after your second or third be afraid. Be very afraid. :o

This rant was brought to you courtesy of "no you can't go out tonight, I need to study and someone has to look after Ewan". :angry:

Non-parents and midwives look away now - Is it normal for him not to 'poo' for a good many hours? :unsure: He's been eating and pooing for Scotland up to yesterday but hasn't had a number 2 since 8pm last night. He's not moaning or crying and still eating fine but as he's gone four nappy changes without any sign "mum" is starting to panic. I think he's most likely fine though.

Me and my partner where just having the same worry yesterday.

We started breastfeeding but only lasted half a day. I was sent to Asda at 4 in the morning to get formula. Means I get to muck in at feeding time though.

I've held my tongue for as long as I can, and I just have to say, what a bunch of jessies. You'd think noone had ever had a baby before.

I could have had a boat, but no! Weans. :angry:

Aw this greetin' and moanin'. Get oan wey it. Ma maw wis back in the fields twa oors efter. :angry:

Oh aye, and gentlemen, don't think you get away with this pain free.

When she says "snip" after your second or third be afraid. Be very afraid. :o

This rant was brought to you courtesy of "no you can't go out tonight, I need to study and someone has to look after Ewan". :angry:

If SD isn't old enough to look after himself then how the hell is he managing to look after a baby too!?

SD I called the health visitor after Ruairidh didn't poo for 18 hours-she said if she had a £1 for everytime she'd been asked that then she wouldn't have to worry. And formula fed babies don't poo as much.

Baby massage is great for trapped wind and colic.

If SD isn't old enough to look after himself then how the hell is he managing to look after a baby too!?

SD I called the health visitor after Ruairidh didn't poo for 18 hours-she said if she had a £1 for everytime she'd been asked that then she wouldn't have to worry. And formula fed babies don't poo as much.

Baby massage is great for trapped wind and colic.

I suspect you've quoted the wrong post. SD isn't my concern. I've got two of my own. And I still don't have a boat. :angry:

Scan photos?

Did people laminate them? haha when in the hospital there were alot of signs saying do not do this, i was unsure why until i found out that if you laminate the scan photo the photo will go all black.

Did people keep there scan photos in a photo album?

I don't even know where ours are! I expect the wife has put them somewhere. I'm pretty sure she won't have thrown them out but fundamentally we didn't do anything with them. We were far too scared to tempt fate and show them to anyone else. I doubt anyone other than the two of us ever saw them. I know my mother mentioned the other day we'd never shown them to her.

Mmm, one of those can go wrong, will go wrong kind of days. <_<

Despite the refreshingness of a better night's sleep the morning started with the fecking door falling off the washing machine. That'll mean a phone call to the repairman tomorrow first thing and potentially a new washing machine. Great timing! My mother's having to do all our washing just now.

And then we finally got around to trying out the car seat in the wife's car. Uh-oh :angry:

The fecking thing is completely impractical in a two door Toyota Yaris. I did suggest weeks ago that we should pick the thing up in advance and test these things but no, that's "unlucky". So now she's stuck in the house unable to realistically go anywhere with the wee man until we can change her car. And that'll be more fecking expense. :angry::angry:

It will physically go in but it can't go in the front seat because of the airbag and will only go in the back by squeezing it diagonally over the seat which is hopeless if the baby is actually in the thing. And even then, the seat belt turns out to be one of those annoying buggers that locks in position if it extends fully and then slips back a little so it's a complete nightmare to try to fit round a car seat. My VW doesn't do that.

Which means in the meantime either my dad will have to be on standby if Maureen needs to go anywhere when I'm not around or we'll need to swap cars which, even if it means I'm going to work in a hairdresser's car, I can cope with but Maureen doesn't want to drive a big car around. Magic! <_<

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Mmm, one of those can go wrong, will go wrong kind of days. <_<

Despite the refreshingness of a better night's sleep the morning started with the fecking door falling off the washing machine. That'll mean a phone call to the repairman tomorrow first thing and potentially a new washing machine. Great timing! My mother's having to do all our washing just now.

And then we finally got around to trying out the car seat in the wife's car. Uh-oh :angry:

The fecking thing is completely impractical in a two door Toyota Yaris. I did suggest weeks ago that we should pick the thing up in advance and test these things but no, that's "unlucky". So now she's stuck in the house unable to realistically go anywhere with the wee man until we can change her car. And that'll be more fecking expense. :angry::angry:

It will physically go in but it can't go in the front seat because of the airbag and will only go in the back by squeezing it diagonally over the seat which is hopeless if the baby is actually in the thing. And even then, the seat belt turns out to be one of those annoying buggers that locks in position if it extends fully and then slips back a little so it's a complete nightmare to try to fit round a car seat. My VW doesn't do that.

Which means in the meantime either my dad will have to be on standby if Maureen needs to go anywhere when I'm not around or we'll need to swap cars which, even if it means I'm going to work in a hairdresser's car, I can cope with but Maureen doesn't want to drive a big car around. Magic! <_<

That's the problem we had with the Ignis, we could barely get the car seat in the car. So we swapped it for a Volvo, you know the car that never breaks down, it broke down today.

How is the wee one?

That's the problem we had with the Ignis, we could barely get the car seat in the car. So we swapped it for a Volvo, you know the car that never breaks down, it broke down today.

How is the wee one?

What the Hell is an Ignis? :huh: I've never even heard of that!

I'll have to see what I can source. I have a few contacts in the car trade but it would have been a lot easier if I'd had notice of it.

Thomas seems fine. A more settled night last night.