The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/The...VD-3-Discs.html

Tempted to buy this when it comes out - though some of the selections are debatable. I'm glad they've got the 9/11 tribute show in there, but I don't think they should have billed it as the Greatest Moment in Smackdown History Ever.

Was just reading in this month's FSM that Mr Kennedy (Kennedy!) has been fired my the WWE. Pretty shocked about that as I reckon he had what it took to be a top player and could have brought some much needed freshness to the title scence. How long till he's in TNA you reckon?

Also read that TNA have hired Elijah Burke, Raven, Victoria and Shane Douglas.

Dragon Gate are now confirmed for the UK and they'll be heading for Oxford at The Regal Theatre on Sunday November 1st.

Names confirmed early are ...

Shingo Takagi

CIMA

PAC

Tickets go on sale on the 4th of July, and will be priced between 25 and 45 quid. Pretty cheap for a most expensive ticket, but 25 for cheapest is pretty steep. That's the only stumbling block for me.

As with Pro Wrestling Noah's event, Dragon Gate want to give you the most action packed show they can possibly give you and with their hectic schedule in Japan, they will be presenting a show on this date in Japan as well but have given the UK all of the top stars we requested as their commitment to making these shows a true reflection of Dragon Gate. The card has been discussed back and forth and will feature 10 Japanese Stars from Dragon Gate, 3 us based Dragon Gate Regulars, and 3 members of the UK Wrestling Scene.

We have still to decide 2 options on the Card, the main event will either be a Dragon Gate 6 Man (Giving 5 matches) or a main event singles contest (Giving 6 Matches in total)

So it's going to be very much a full Dragon Gate experience. One of the 3 UK guys is a Dragon Gate regular and that's Pac. You can rest assured that El Ligero and Bubblegum will probably be the other two. I can see them challenging for the Twin Gate ( Tag Titles ) on this show to give the home fans something to go nuts over.

Sounds promising anyways. I might well shell out for this.

I know, but I think he's already been out for a spell, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to suggest he might be back. If he's not then I can't imagine many others who can fit with the Dragon Gate style of things. Bubblegum is still an obvious choice, but I don't think there's anyone else as blatanty fast and mental.

Akitoshi Saito, the guy who did the move which basically killed Mitsuharu Misawa, has had his house attacked by fans, and he has tried to kill himself and he's now on suicide watch.

It's an absolutely horrible situation and Saito had no idea about how unfit Misawa was going into their match. I can only hope that the entire Japanese wrestling scene are showing Saito their 100% support through what must be an absolutely horrible time for him.

Steve Austin and Triple H vs. Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit - WWE RAW 21/05/2001

This was the match which seen the first of a couple of major injuries to the quad of HHH. This match used every trick in the awesome tag team book, as the heels just did everything behind the ref's back and had the referee tied up constantly, with Austin's shenanigans being a real highlights. The close comebacks of Benoit were right up there with the classic Ricky Morton style. The match ended up as hot as hell and was just absolutely fantastic. ****1/2

An absolute classic. I'm not really into this shit anymore but I watched this on Youtube a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, again. JR on truly fantastic form.

Sorry to keep harping on about this thing, but things have gotten interesting. Fast. Remember how Benoit's death was supposed to have massive implications on wrestling in the US ? Well, it didn't really. That's not what's going to happen in Japan though. There have been meetings between the top guns all over Japanese wrestling and it'd seem they're all in agreement that something like this isn't going to happen again.

Hiroshi Hase (former pro-wrestler) and others in the LDP have invited the major players in pro-wrestling (Ryu Nakata of NOAH, New Japan’s President, a famous medical trainer, Keiji Mutoh, and a fifth person) to a political committee meeting to talk about Mitsuharu Misawa’s death. One person is being quoted in the press as saying that Misawa’s death is now a turning point

and then ...

Regarding yesterday's meeting, it appears that everyone was in agreement about forming a union and there will be a push to introduce a license system. There was also a lot of talk about preventing such accidents in the future, including training for refs and wrestlers about how to observe the physical condition of their opponent, ring doctors, yearly medical checks, mandatory retirement age and so on.

Anyways, onto better matters.

Candice Michelle has been released

Hopefully this means a cull of the bad divas. The goodness of the Maryse vs. Mickie fued has actually been a highlight of RAW and an example of what can happen when you have two capable women in WWE fueding.

Personally i think WWE are running out of ideas and are banking on Orton for ratings.

They're aiming for kids and they want Orton for ratings ? Nope. If you want anyone for the age group they're aiming for, it has to be John Cena. Lets face it, Orton only appeals to the older fans because of how amazing his character was at the turn of the year. He still gets more cheers than boos, which sort of cements that point.

An absolute classic. I'm not really into this shit anymore but I watched this on Youtube a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, again. JR on truly fantastic form.

JR can make a match better with his commentary. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. His commentary during the Jeff/Taker Ladder Match was fabulous and had me thinking that Jeff could pull it off.

Akitoshi Saito, the guy who did the move which basically killed Mitsuharu Misawa, has had his house attacked by fans, and he has tried to kill himself and he's now on suicide watch.

It's an absolutely horrible situation and Saito had no idea about how unfit Misawa was going into their match. I can only hope that the entire Japanese wrestling scene are showing Saito their 100% support through what must be an absolutely horrible time for him.?

You gotta feel sorry for Saito. By the sounds of things, some fans are complete morons. I've always felt that there is a percentage of wrestling fans that are dicks but there is no excuse for treating Saito this way after an unfortunate tradgic accident. Hope he gets over it eventually because by all accounts it really wasn't his fault and it's a shame that such a tradgedy has driven a man to the brink of suicide. I'm not sure how it works, but since Saito was the one to deliver the move which ultimately killed Misawa, does he face any charges over it?

Also. Did anyone else notice the shockingly bad edit on Smackdown last night. Jericho was cutting a promo when the camera cut to the crowd and there was a piece of audio played of Jericho calling the fans paracites or something :lol: . It was clearly recorded afterward, y only guess is that Jericho forgot part of the promo or they just didnt think it wa sgod enough. By WWE production standards it was shocking :lol: .

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

I'm not sure how it works, but since Saito was the one to deliver the move which ultimately killed Misawa, does he face any charges over it?

You have to assume that, because of the nature of the business and how this sort of thing can happen, that there won't be any charges.

You have to assume that, because of the nature of the business and how this sort of thing can happen, that there won't be any charges.

I hope not. I'd feel really, really sorry for him there were charges. It was more to do with 25 odd years of taking bumps and Misawas poor health than it was a mistake by Saito.

More random goodness ... or badness ... or whatever comes my way really.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Booker T. - WCW Bash at the Beach 2000

This main event came as a result of Hogan getting sacked and Russo cutting a promo putting over the guys in the back that make an effort. The Russo promo is pretty famous and is worth looking for. Apart from the extra-long Sleeper Hold, this pretty much made the point that it was supposed to. Two guys stepping up to the plate and putting everything on the line for the title. ***1/2

Batista, Ric Flair and Triple H vs. Shelton Benjamin, Randy Orton and Chris Benoit - WWE RAW 20/09/2004

This was after the blown face turn of Randy Orton. What followed was the complete burial of Randy Orton from Evolution, which was a shame. This was a brilliant formula handicap match for the most part as Orton was taken out early in the match, and the pace was as constant as you'd want. The interaction between Flair and Benoit was brilliant and left anyone watching wanting more. ***1/4

MVP, Gregory Helms and Chavo Guerrero vs. The Hardy Boys and Chris Benoit - WWE Smackdown 20/04/2007

I'm not certain on that date. That heel team was the pinnacle of boring at the time, so we really needed the face team to step things up, but with Chavo and Matt spending most of the time in the ring, that was not going to happen. Disappointing tag match is what most people would be thinking, but I seen the boredom coming a mile off. Not sure why I watched this. **

Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin and The Rock - WWE RAW 19/02/2001

This was setting up for Wrestlemania X-7, as both of these teams would end up taking on each other in one on one competition. I mean the actual team mates. Too much control from the faces in this one, and when you disturb the formula too much in a tag match, you don't get the right amount of fun. **1/4

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rob Van Dam - WWE Backlash 2002

Considering the one sided nature of this match, this was actually really good stuff, as Eddie Guerrero comes in and basically dismantles Rob Van Dam from start to finish, and he didn't even need to cheat to do so, but he cheats anyways just because he CAN cheat. That's just being a complete cretin, but hey, it's the Eddie way. Rob Van Dam did his own bit by selling every move like death and was also willing to take some dangerous stuff. ****