The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

But even when Jericho was throwing out insults he was much more entertaining as a heel.

Agreed. The WCW heel persona was amazing. I loved it to bits. I didn't say I thought he was better now, but he is clearly more effective now, as is evidenced by the crowd reactions he's getting.

I completely agree with the Santino point, but even before the Vickie thing ended. It was decent until he started making the pig noises, which seemed (and was) a blatant WWE anger issue at Vickie leaving.

I'm not sure it was an anger thing. I think it was more of a chance to let the WWE fans see Vickie get everything she deserved and more. She was a monster heel and, in WWE terms "had it coming". I would have been disappointed had her WWE run ended in any other way.

I just wish a less stale character got a chance to put the boot in.

I still think the HBK coming back as a mystery tag partner thing would be a bit of a let down. You would think they would hype HBK coming back. Not merely as a mystery partner. It could lead to other things, but it just seems awfully un-WWE. Like I say, mystery tag partners are almost always a let down, so prepare for Kama or Rikishi and we might get a pleasant surprise. That said, if it is The Miz and it means him and Maryse hanging out more and saying how they both have gold, only for Jericho to scold him for taking his eye off the prize...

Maryse and The Miz hanging out more can only be good for RAW. The awesome might just make my TV explode.

I didn't really take the hype factor into consideration when I said HBK, so you might well be right about that. The WWE might wanna really throw a curveball out there though. They're really pumping up this mystery tag partner thing. I'd burst out laughing if it was Edge. "HAHA ! You got worked !".

What about Matt Hardy ?

Really can't see Jerichos partner being HBK. Announcing his return would get more PPV buys and you know Vinnie Mac. I'm sure they wouldnt bring him back unannounced. I have a feeling that it will be Christian which would finally turn him heel. That would be the best optionin my book as his face character is shit.

Oh and this is Santinos best ever momoent. And you thought The Rock sold a stunner :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMHMYf2kDI...laynext_from=PL

Beth Phoenix has been MIA from RAW for the past few weeks now, and now we can confirm that Beth Phoenix has taken time off as she and her husband, Joey Knight, are now expecting their first child. It has been said that Beth has been given a minimum of a year of work, with her expected to take at least a year an a half off, however, Backstage officials are unsure if Beth will return to WWE after her pregnancy.

Source- Wrestling Observer.

Would be a shame to lose Beth Phoenix as she has been a highlight of the Divas of WWE. That being said, there are a number of them showing signs of improvement and with the addition of Gail Kim, I suppose they can do without.

Is he saluting on his way through the air?

Aye. :D

TNA Classic Matches Collection Part 3

If you haven't gotten onto YouTube to watch this stuff, get on there. It's been great fun so far.

#17 - Queen of the Cage Match - TNA Lockdown 2008

This is bound to be a drop in standards. You have to get into the cage and the two ladies who get into the cage then battle for the victory. I don't understand the inclusion of this match in this collection. It's not very good, it's not very historic and it's just generally an excuse to get the knockouts on here, but if they wanted that, why not just put Gail Kim vs. Awesome Kong from Final Resolution 2008 on ? *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCz6CfqvaGo

#18 - Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle - TNA Lockdown 2008

Kurt Angle went into this match wearing the full MMA garb, which made sense considering the way the match was booked. Some nice little inclusion of MMA in this match and was done much better than the idiotic Styles/Trigg crap that they did. The Crossface/Angle Lock stuff would have been cool if we hadn't seen it done before, and done better from Benoit and Angle, but credit at least for doing it with some credibility. This was a really good match with all sorts of cool stuff going on, but it suffers from the usual Angle problems. ***1/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGnlHvK_7uE

#19 - Christian Cage vs. Rhino vs. Robert Roode vs. Booker T. vs. Samoa Joe, King of the Mountain Match - TNA Slammiversary 2008

Incase you aren't familiar with this, the rules of this match is like a reverse Ladder Match. You have to hang the title up to win. There's also a penalty box and stuff and pinfalls but if you want to learn more about that, watch the match as I can't be bothered explaining. This match went along swimmingly, and the entire thing had a nice flow and didn't really feel like stopping, but it never kicked into another gear of drama which took away from it somewhat. ***1/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8XE-1m5ZXw

#20 - Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Roderick Strong and Alex Shelley vs. Matt Bentley, Austin Aries, Sonjay Dutt and Chris Sabin, Elimination X Match - TNA Genesis 2005

I'd love to see how good this match would have been if they shaved 10 minutes and took Bentley and Daniels out of it. As it is itself, this match is all sorts of good. By this time, the stuff wasn't as innovative as it was before, but they managed to get around that by telling great stories, and didn't allow the matches to be handicap for too long and drag the match down. They did terrific sequences between all of the guys which clicked absolutely brilliantly. Unfortunately, the inclusion of Matt Bentley proved to be it's downfall, but this is still well worth watching. ****1/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jz5svO5IPY

#21 - The James Gang vs. The Naturals vs. America's Most Wanted vs. Team 3D - TNA Bound For Glory 2006

This match is going to be pretty horrible. Two past it teams, one green team and one decent team does NOT make for a good match. Thankfully, it doesn't look like it's going to last very long. This was actually an action packed match thanks to the length of it. Every guy was constantly in and out of the ring and doing big moves and dropping the bombs untill the very end. **1/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIkIps_22nk

#22 - Chris Sabin vs. Senshi - TNA Bound For Glory 2006

This was a pretty spectacular match between these two guys. Senshi always brings some big kicks and stomps so you knew you were gonna get flashes of awesome from these two guys. Sabin had some amazing comebacks as well. It always feels weird watching someone as small as Senshi being so dominating though. That aside, this was a big hard hitting really good match. ***3/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm07BLY2Uk

#23 - Kurt Angle vs. Yuji Nagata - TNA Global Impact January 2008

Don't know if the episode was show in January 2008, but it was filmed then for the annual NJPW 4th January show. This had yet again more of the blatant flaws from an Angle match against anyone who uses a Crossface. He manages to kill the credibility of his own Angle Lock and Nagata's Nagata Lock #2 in the same sequence and he does this with submission finishers all of the time, and this is the reason he'll never be an all time great. This was still amusing stuff for some of the time though as Angle worked well with the NJPW style a lot of the way. ***1/2

#24 - Jeff Jarrett vs. Jeff Hardy - TNA November 2004 Weekly PPV

This will be my last recap of this selection of matches. I honestly have no idea how this match is going to turn out. I know that the hate between the two guys was well built so it COULD be a well booked match. So much for well booked. Before and during the intros, they had a heated brawl and then the bell rings and it's almost forgotten about. Idiotic booking from idiots. The usual overbooked JJ match with ref bumps and interference and all sorts. Didn't work here as Jeff Hardy clearly wasn't at his best at this point and JJ wasn't the man to drag a good match out of him. They used a lot of smoke and mirrors to hide the obvious weaknesses and to be fair to them, it wasn't a bad match as a result, but not a classic by any means. **1/4

Watched 'The Condemned' for the 1st time tonight and have to say it was rather shit, nowhere near as shit as 'The Marine' mind you, that film is fcukin' appalling. The only WWE film i've watched and quite enjoyed was Kane's film 'See No Evil'.

Edit to add; I can't believe the've made a sequel 'The Marine 2' starring Ted Dibiase Jnr in the leading role. No surprises though that it won't be a cinema release and will be relesed directly to DVD. Sounds great! :lol:

Edited by YER SISTERS YER MAW

What's everyones view on who Jericho's tag-partner will be at NOC? I have a sneaky feeling it could be HBK.

I think there's only three possibilities,

1) Christian - Turns heel after destroying Dreamer because he defeated him for the ECW Championship and Jericho told Edge that he'll find someone who is much better in every way, it couldn't be more personal than choosing his brother, i reckon he has the most chance of becoming Jericho's partner.

2) Chris Masters - He signed with WWE a while ago but has yet to appear and has tag team experience, he's in with a good shout.

3) THE WILDCARD, Undertaker - What a way for the Deadman to return, also Jericho was shown talking on Smackdown to Kane to create the impression that Jericho was asking him to be his tag team partner but maybe Kane was passing on a message from Taker?

Who is everyone predicting for match winners at Night of Champions then?

Here's mine...

WWE Title - John Cena

World Heavyweight Championship - CM Punk

ECW Championship - Tommy Dreamer

Intercontiental Title - Rey Mysterio

United States Champion - Jack Swagger

Tag Titles - Chris Jericho + Christian

Women's Title - Michelle McCool

Diva's Championship - Mickie James

I think there's only three possibilities,

1) Christian - Turns heel after destroying Dreamer because he defeated him for the ECW Championship and Jericho told Edge that he'll find someone who is much better in every way, it couldn't be more personal than choosing his brother, i reckon he has the most chance of becoming Jericho's partner.

2) Chris Masters - He signed with WWE a while ago but has yet to appear and has tag team experience, he's in with a good shout.

3) THE WILDCARD, Undertaker - What a way for the Deadman to return, also Jericho was shown talking on Smackdown to Kane to create the impression that Jericho was asking him to be his tag team partner but maybe Kane was passing on a message from Taker?

Who is everyone predicting for match winners at Night of Champions then?

Here's mine...

WWE Title - John Cena

World Heavyweight Championship - CM Punk

Intercontiental Title - Rey Mysterio

United States Champion - Jack Swagger

Tag Titles - Chris Jericho + Christian

Diva's Championship - Mickie James

God please no! Don't let it be that annoying wee cnut Brian Kendrick either. If I were to draw up a shortlist, it would be between HBK, Christian, Mark Henry or The Big Show. But in all honesty, I really don't know.

I can see The Undertaker returning after Wrestlemania. The reason I've been mentioning HBK is that he's a bound return for Summerslam at this point and a couple of places are now advertising him.

WWE Title - Triple H

World Title - CM Punk

Intercontinental Title - Rey Mysterio

US Title - Kofi Kingston

Tag Titles - Chris Jericho and whoever

Diva's Title - Mickie James

Triple H wants to break a record for title reigns so it would make sense to have him win the title again. I'm wondering if Vinny will really be willing to take the title away from the new main event scene of Orton/Cena though. Time will tell on that count, but I can see HHH getting a couple more reigns under him.

Triple H wants to break a record for title reigns so it would make sense to have him win the title again. I'm wondering if Vinny will really be willing to take the title away from the new main event scene of Orton/Cena though. Time will tell on that count, but I can see HHH getting a couple more reigns under him.

Definately agree with you that it's almost inevitable that Triple H will break the record for title reigns, although if Triple H wins the title at Night of Champions that means his fued with Randy Orton will continue and i honestly couldn't stand another match between these two, their fued is boring beyond belief.

Out of the three i really only like Orton so i obviously would want him to retain although Cena winning the belt would probably lead to Orton vs Cena, meaning Triple H out of the title picture which also works for me.

However the outcome of that match finishes up, I really hope they put an end to the HHH/Orton fued. It's dragged on for far too long now and it's getting really boring. I think HHH has plenty time yet to break 'Naitch's record so hopefully it's Orton or Cena.

Jerichos partner may very well be Masters. Orton has a lot of pull these days and Masters is a good friend of Ortons. After all it was Orton who managed to seal Mr.Kennedys fate.

I'm kinda hoping either Trips or Orton wins. I can see them ending up in Hell in a Cell which would spell the end of their feud.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

After all it was Orton who managed to seal Mr.Kennedys fate.

I think that had more to do with Orton being about the 20th opponent that Kennedy has almost hurt. With him being so important when that one happened, it was a last straw. Mr. Kennedy was sloppy as hell. How he kept a job with WWE for so long, I'll never know.

I agree that Kennedy was a worthless piece of shit. But i don' think it's any coincidence that Kennedy almost injured Orton in amatch, they then had words backstage and the next day Kennedy gets fired. I'm not saying Orton was the only reason he got punted but as the companies top guy he's got to have some kind of pull woth McMahon.