The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

The third annual Gathering event is gonna take place in the Kelvin Hall a week on Saturday. Of course, I plan on making the trip to the show and the card is absolutely stacked.

NWA Scottish Heavyweight Championship

Lionheart © vs. Wolfgang

One of the best fueds in Scottish wrestling in recent years finally finds itself in a main event slot, and on the biggest stage in Scottish wrestling as well. These two guys earned standing ovations for their work with ladders in the past, but they had a blinder of a match in their first meeting in East Kilbride which has probably been forgotten about. With them getting the main event slot, I can see this being an absolute belter. Not sure on a prediction. When it was Scott Renwick that had been the opponent, I could have banked on him winning the belt, but now with Wolfy being the man on the other side of the ring, I can see Lionheart retaining.

SWA Laird of the Ring Championship

Chris Renfrew © vs. Damien O'Conor

It's good to see that Chris Renfrew is gonna get a chance to shine on this show. It was beginning to look like he might not be on the show, but he's wrestling a man who he has faced off against several times before, both in singles and tag team action. Damien O'Conor is more of a tag guy as he and his partner, collectively known as BMW ( Britain's Most Wanted ), but he can certainly go in a singles environment. I expect this will be a hard hitting affair as both guys like to put a bit of beef behind their moves. I don't forsee anything other than a successful defence of the title.

Career Match

Majik vs. Conscience

I'm not sure how this match ended up being both careers on the line, but there you are. These guys have faced off countless times in the past in all sorts of matches. The most memorable one was probably their mega-violent casket match which had all sorts of madness including a Powerbomb THROUGH a casket. This won't be such a match, but both guys are more than capable when it comes to taking it to the mat. It's fitting that one of these guys is going to end the career of the other, and I honestly have no idea how this one is going to go. I think it might well be Conscience that loses here with Majik to lose his career shortly after.

Money in the Bank Scramble Match

Darkside vs. Kid Fite vs. Liam Thompson vs. Jason Rotanda vs. ???

There's a bit of speculation about the fifth man being "The Butcher" Scott Renwick and then he can get his slot back in the main event. I think that this sounds about right. If that happens he'll win the title I reckon, but I have to assume that the main event is as it is at the moment. This match is going to be all sorts of fun. The talent is certainly good enough to make this match great fun. If Butcher is the fifth man then this match is STACKED. I'm going to predict a win for Scott Renwick for this one.

Ladder Match

Micken vs. BT Gunn

The year of the Booty should continue with another belting match here. He has been involved in pretty much every really good Scottish match that's happened this year, with the exception of Darkside vs. Kris Travis in Kilmarnock. Only Saturday, he was involved in another cracker. Micken can be a bit sloppy at times so him in a ladder match is a bit of an iffy prospect, but I have no doubts that he can pull off the right performance on a stage this big. BT Gunn has shown in the past that he's more than willing to take the big risks in normal matches, and this will be surely reflected in this one. I predict Micken to win and make BT Gunn's next 12 months unbearable.

Special Ladies Challenge

Jetta vs. Nikki Storm

Jetta is recognized as the top woman in the UK at the moment, and Nikki Storm has been involved in some good stuff this year, so if there's going to be a showcase for women's wrestling in Scotland, I guess this is as good a match to put together as any. It really doesn't make any sense to have Jetta win this one, so for that reason alone, I am going to predict Nikki Storm.

Falcon vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Oh man, this is one spicy meatball. Zack Sabre Jr. is definately the hot new thing on the UK scene, and his stock was increased when he had a genuine classic with Bryan Danielson. He has been in Scotland once before for a magnificent match with Kid Fite. He is now coming up against one of the most consistant and reliable names on the Scottish scene at the moment. Falcon is someone who gets talked up even when he isn't really doing much. I expect Zack Sabre Jr. to come out on top here.

Adam Shame vs. Johnny Moss

Mossy is just pure intensity. People compare him to Chris Benoit, although the fact that he does most of Benoit's moves might have something to do with that. Both of these guys are muscle bound bruisers, and they also like a fast pace, so I can only imagine that they're going to absolutely murder each other in this one. I can see Adam Shame winning this match because he is one of the top dogs in SWA. Mossy isn't always around and I'd go as far as to call this an upset if Mossy wins.

Red Lightning vs. Jack Jester

These two guys had a fued a while back, but they haven't faced off in a while. This match feels kinda tacked onto the card. I can see it being alright, but I can also see it not being up to the standard of the card that surrounds it. I'm going to predict a Jack Jester win for the hell of it.

It's an amazing looking card, and one that I can't wait for.

Lionheart © vs. Wolfgang

One of the best fueds in Scottish wrestling in recent years finally finds itself in a main event slot, and on the biggest stage in Scottish wrestling as well. These two guys earned standing ovations for their work with ladders in the past, but they had a blinder of a match in their first meeting in East Kilbride which has probably been forgotten about. With them getting the main event slot, I can see this being an absolute belter. Not sure on a prediction. When it was Scott Renwick that had been the opponent, I could have banked on him winning the belt, but now with Wolfy being the man on the other side of the ring, I can see Lionheart retaining.

SWA Laird of the Ring Championship

Chris Renfrew © vs. Damien O'Conor

It's good to see that Chris Renfrew is gonna get a chance to shine on this show. It was beginning to look like he might not be on the show, but he's wrestling a man who he has faced off against several times before, both in singles and tag team action. Damien O'Conor is more of a tag guy as he and his partner, collectively known as BMW ( Britain's Most Wanted ), but he can certainly go in a singles environment. I expect this will be a hard hitting affair as both guys like to put a bit of beef behind their moves. I don't forsee anything other than a successful defence of the title.

Money in the Bank Scramble Match

Darkside vs. Kid Fite vs. Liam Thompson vs. Jason Rotanda vs. ???

There's a bit of speculation about the fifth man being "The Butcher" Scott Renwick and then he can get his slot back in the main event. I think that this sounds about right. If that happens he'll win the title I reckon, but I have to assume that the main event is as it is at the moment. This match is going to be all sorts of fun. The talent is certainly good enough to make this match great fun. If Butcher is the fifth man then this match is STACKED. I'm going to predict a win for Scott Renwick for this one.

Was considering going, these 3 matches are worth the entry fee alone.

Lionheart © vs. Wolfgang

I wish they would stop with that. It's been done to death. I remember a few years ago it was happening more or less every month in BCW, and they'd be having matches against each other in all the other promotions as well.

In my opinion it got old after a few months.

Dragon Gate USA : Enter The Dragon

This would be the PPV debut of Dragon Gate in the United States. A decent mix of US and DG regulars in this one.

Dawn Marie is hosting the show, and a HUUUUUUUUGE "Dragon Gate" chant gets going. We're in the ECW Arena.

YAMATO vs. BxB Hulk

BxB Hulk gets a riduculous pop from the crowd. His entrance is in full gear with dancers and everything, which only serves to nuke the crowd even more. If you haven't seen this man's entrance, find it. I've posted it in here I think in the past. If he does it in Oxford, I won't shut up about it. YAMATO gets zero reaction, because nobody gives a shit about him. Seriously flawed selling of the leg from Hulk, but you don't really expect perfect selling from a Dragon Gate show. Thought the match was a bit long for what they were going for. Some of Hulk's offense is absolutely breathtaking. An exciting opening match which did it's job. ***1/4

Dawn Marie is a shit MC.

Amasis, Gran Akuma, Icarus and Hallowicked vs. The Colony, Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw - CHIKARA Showcase Match

I've seen loads of this kind of match. This series of guys don't normally disappoint with their action. Quack gets a standing ovation. Well earned if you ask me. Fans of lucha and Arm Drags will love this match. The action in this match is just so quick and so smooth. In a couple of places, the action is a little too smooth and it feels more like a ballet than a wrestling match. That's a minor complaint though as this was a super way to spend 15 minutes. ***1/2

After the match, Mike Quackenbush points out that CHIKARA and Dragon Gate is a great combination. He also talks about the links between the two promotions. We then see a video of Skyade, who was a major influence for everyone in Dragon Gate. Quack then gives an open challenge for anyone from DG to challenge anyone from CHIKARA. YAMATO then heads for the ring. He speaks some Japanese before kicking Quack in the balls. HA ! Jigsaw makes the save. Akuma then attacks Jigsaw. Loads of CHIKARA guys come out and Akuma and YAMATO get the hell out of there. Storyline development !

Masato Yoshino vs. Dragon Kid

Dragon Kid is the man responsible for the Dragon Rana. Yoshino is the fastest wrestler on the planet. Well, that I've seen anyways. He has Naruki Doi with him. That's an awesome tag team actually. Dragon Kid has Shingo Takagi with him. Oooohhhh. Tension. A good little match even if it didn't quite come up to the standards of what came before it. They went for a more technical match which might have worked had it gone on a bit longer, but the final stretch kinda felt tacked on. Some impressive stuff from both men though. ***

The Young Bucks vs. CIMA and Susumu Yokosuka

Nick and Matt Jackson make up the Young Bucks. They're the indy darlings at the moment thanks to their awesome crisp tag team stuff. They've earned the reputation that they have gotten at the moment. CIMA is pretty much the daddy in Dragon Gate. This match should be pretty hectic stuff. f**k me sideways, that was utterly magic. This is the typical Dragon Gate style sprint and if you can find any way of watching this match, I suggest that you do it. The Young Bucks have some ridiculously amazing tag team stuff and the finishing sequence to this match has to be seen to be believed, although there are many similar moments. ****1/2

Shingo Takagi vs. Naruki Doi

These two men have had some fued in Japan, so giving this main event to the fans in the USA PPV probably made sense. The match is non-title though. Naruki Doi is a champion in Dragon Gate but I can't remember the name of the title that he is holding. Shingo pulls out the 30 second delayed Vertical Suplex. Excellent Dragon Gate style main event here, as they sort of went for the singles match version of a sprint, which is fine by me. ****1/4

OVERALL

Two hours. Five matches. Two of them over 4* and none of them under 3*. This might well be the PPV of the year. It's a great showcase of the big Dragon Gate names and the US guys definately held their own.

anyone else think WWE should drop the whole guest host pish and break the bank to bring in Paul Heyman (figure of speech btw, it would take a hell of a lot for vinny mac to break the bank)

Money's not the issue with Paul E staying away from the WWE. It was that he was frustrated by Vince's pigheadedness that lead to the new ECW becoming Tuesday Night Heat. I could see him going to TNA if they're willing to be a tad more open to his way of doing things, though.

Anyone any idea of ticket prices for The Gathering?

Anyone any idea of ticket prices for The Gathering?

20 quid ringside.

15 quid floor.

10 quid tiers.

I go for the cheap seats usually, since floor seats can lead to restricted view and I think 20 quid is steep for a Scottish show.

Get to the front of the tiers and you have a magnificent view.

I have been trying to think who Chris Masters reminds me of for months now. Well I was just watching Vintage Collection and it turns out that it is this man:

masters2.jpg

Paul Roma

paul-roma.jpg

It was during the same show that I thought that these two looked similar:

Marty Jannetty

025Jannetty.jpg

Batista

94237.jpg

Theres nobody else that can see the similarity between Jannetty and Dave. :lol: My mates think I'm mental for seeing it.

Anybody think of any others, without mentioning the Briscoes or The Bushwackers. :lol:

Cool. Just about convinced my weegie-based mate to come along; what time does the show start? I'll be coming from the United/'Well game, so probably leaving Dundee at 5.30ish by train, any chance of making it on time?

They're going for a 6.30pm start, and SWA are good at running on time, unless it's a show at the Sports Cafe and the ring hasn't turned up yet. :P