The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

My own meandering thoughts on Wrestle Kingdom:

Spoiler

Rambo matches are always going to awkward affairs, seems like something that's better experienced live.

The botched ending of the six man vet tag match was real awkward. Kojima getting to do Icchauzo bakayaro with chanting allowed to a large crowd was cool at least.

Junior tag title was a fun & fluid break neck speed affair. Ending on a roll up pin was a refreshing finish. The Lio Rush bump on the ramp set established the ramp being dangerous & foreshadowed bumps in other matches to come. Akira is impressive for a wrestler of just 23 & hopefully get to see more more of Rush in NJPW as I've been impressed with him during his stint teaming with. Yoh continues his upward ascent post-3K.

The IWGP women's title match being only five minutes is a big oof. A lot was packed in but overall it felt like KAIRI squashing Nakano which is hardly a showcase for Stardom with the eye's of the world on it & the match felt secondary to Sasha Banks introduction which of course is a big deal & should bring more attention to Stardom.

I'd of preferred the IWGP tag title match to be a bit longer but the length was understandable given Wrestle Kingdom's return to a one day format. Excellent match with good chemistry & action packed into it's ten minute run time with the crowd super into it. I'm not as familar with FTR as other posters but someone else can weigh in on how this match stacks up in their body of work. Also read something about a narrative of FTR dropping all their belts but again someone is better placed

Sabre JR finally wins a singles best just under seven years into his NJPW career. Good match technical & strike heavy match showcasing what can be done within the 15 minute time limit constraint of the TV title, belt is ugly as sin though. Will be interesting to see what happens with Narita in 2023 as one of the guys earmarked as  NJPW's future.

The outcome of the NEVER Openweight was predictable given Anderson being under contract with WWE & served as payoff for Tonga after his osuting from Bullet Club & the subsequent feud. Match was ok but I'm biased as I'm not particulary much into either wrestler. That botched gunstun to end was pretty oof. 

Trying not to be too harsh on Muto's send off as the dude's 60 with two artificial knees & was fan service galore. Tanahashi stopping old man Mutoh from going for a moonsault & SANDA hitting a moonsault on Mutoh were nice spots. The Muta vs Nakumra from NOAH's New Year show probably clouding my judgement as while that wasn't a stellar match it was a spectacle. Also Naito being in this match on NJPW's biggest show of the year is a reminder of NJPW continuing to do him dirty.

Multi man matches are awkward to do as they are somewhat constrained by having to do formulaic things like wrestlers cycling in & out of the ring plus breaking up pins & the like but this match was well done within the constraints. Wato who at times in his career thus far has been prone to awkwardness & minor botches put on the best match of his career to date thus far & while not winning the near pinfalls added to the drama that the he could do it & sets him up well going forward. Zero complaints from me about Takahashi winning as Takahashi is one of my favourites in NJPW & anything that allows for more Takahashi vs Despy banger title matches is ok in my book.

The US title Omega vs Ospreay was easily match of the night. A near 35 minute war with both giving their all battering the ever daylights of each other. Good structure, pacing, storytelling, psychology, selling, drama & spots this match checked every box. The DDT turnbuckle spot by Omega on Ospreay was a a hell of a spot. I haven't gotten as far back in the NJPW archives to see Omega's previous NJPW run but based on this match I can see why Omega is held in such high regard & I'm sure I'll have plenty of bangers to sink my teeth into. Jim Cornette will still find an excuse to complain about Omega ofc. Go watch this match if you can.

The IWGP Heavyweight main event between Okada & White was a great match but it had the unenvious task of following up Omega vs Ospreay. Okada coming out on the top was very predictable however more so as this was the first Wrestle Kingdom post-passing of Inoki who Okada is very much the heir to. Gedo's constant interference shtick is tiresome. Takagi being the next challenger is fine by me as Takagi is another of my NJPW favourites.

The backstage LIJ Kongo shenanigans indicate an inter-promotional NJPW & NOAH feud between the two factions which I am fully on board with as the likes of Takagi, Naito, Kenoh & Nakajima are some of the best in the world & both factions are my favourites in their respective promotions. Take my money already bookers.

Edited by GNU_Linux

58 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think it's time for Stephanie to take Old Yeller out the back.

He'd be more likely to put her down than allow that to happen.

Not a lot anyone can do to stop Vince.

This was always, always on the cards.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

And ultimately, the shareholders seem to want this as their stock has risen by 10% already:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/01/05/vince-mcmahon-stages-wwe-comeback.html

They want the sale. Any sale price would exceed whatever the current stock price is, so it's a bet to buy low and sell high.

HHH's cardiologist blanking out his calendar.  Have to feel for the guy after the few years he's had.  Looked like he'd finally landed on his feet, and had got the company really trending in the right direction, and now you've got a mad old leather purse with an HGH habit just not wanting to let go.  It would be absolutely catastrophic if he came back in any position of power.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Surely the relevant folk could leak certain alleged things to prevent his return?

Think it's to the point that he's now saying leak what you want, you'll just harm the company rather than me.

He's reported as saying if he doesn't come back in charge the he's not going to approve ANY media rights sales or potential sale of the company.

He's got much more leverage over every one than individuals would have in most public companies.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Surely the relevant folk could leak certain alleged things to prevent his return?

That's what's kind of happening. The rumours of this started end of last year. There was then the news about the 80s ref and massage parlor manager potentially seeking action due to a change in the law around historical cases. NY is lifting the statute of limitations for a year and elsewhere might have been a permanent change.

Maybe he's paid them off or they're not going to pursue anything. Maybe he's just taking the approach of "The vultures are circling. I've done nothing wrong! I'm Vince McMahon dammit!"

29 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Looking forward to Matt Riddle going back to just Riddle and Austin Theory going back to just Theory. 

Brock to win the Rumble and face Reigns at Mania again.

Half the roster fired again. Zayn smashed by Reigns and punted way down the card. Austin Theory to be universal champ later this year.

That's Vince officially back and three directors have instantly been removed. George Barrios and Michelle Wilson also return to the board - two former co president's of the company and very much Vince McMahon people.

This is the TV show Succession playing out in real life.

If AEW wanted to be slaves to patter, they bring CM Punk back next week and tell him he's allowed to say whatever he wants, just so both companies can have their moment in the bin.

Remains to be seen just what this will mean, but sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he's angling to basically get his old job back and be in charge of absolutely everything.  If he was a sane (lol) and reasonable (double lol) man he would let the company be run how it has been previously, because clearly you can see it's a better product, then just sit with overall control in a hands-off manner.  But that's just not him really, is it?  I expect he'll end up slipping back to his old self, and we'll be back pretty much waiting for the guy to die in his chair in gorilla position.  What a mess.

31 minutes ago, forameus said:

If AEW wanted to be slaves to patter, they bring CM Punk back next week and tell him he's allowed to say whatever he wants, just so both companies can have their moment in the bin.

Remains to be seen just what this will mean, but sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he's angling to basically get his old job back and be in charge of absolutely everything.  If he was a sane (lol) and reasonable (double lol) man he would let the company be run how it has been previously, because clearly you can see it's a better product, then just sit with overall control in a hands-off manner.  But that's just not him really, is it?  I expect he'll end up slipping back to his old self, and we'll be back pretty much waiting for the guy to die in his chair in gorilla position.  What a mess.

I'd say there's 2 options on the go:

1) Inspired by Elon Musk. He's selling to himself and takes the company private again. That way he can do what he wants. Still line his pockets with other investors (Saudis).

2) He's leading the sale so that he can be in charge post-sale. All that institutional knowledge, who better than him to be the Kevin Feige of WWE 😉

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Whilst I agree, has it not continued to slide ratings, demo and stock price wise whilst he's been away? He probably believes that the company is fucked without him whilst completely ignoring that this trajectory all started whilst he was in charge.