The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Pretty meh PPV IMO.

The World title match was as good as it could be when you consider Big Show is fat and useless and Henry should be nowhere near a ring with the injuries he has.

Kane vs Cena was boring went on far too long, this must be one of the worst feuds in recent years.

Divas match was ok, Beth Phoenix impressed as always.

Brodus Clay has had the exact same match about 10 times in the last fortnight, this gimmick has jumped the shark already. At least Drew is getting some TV time.

The WWE title match was good, although the ref shenanigans were a bit much at the end, Ziggler looks like a genuine star now though.

The Rumble match was poor compared to recent years, they went overboard with the amount of 'surprise' entrants - 8 of them aren't even on the active roster and 1 is a Diva FFS! Talented guys like Trent Baretta and Yoshi Tatsu are nowhere to be seen so Michael Cole and The Great Khali can get in? I liked the ending sequence though, Jericho's dentist will be getting another payday out of it! Sheamus is a good choice for winner, he has gotten much more over as a face than I thought he ever would.

Overall this PPV just felt like the prelude to Elimination Chamber, which is arguably now a more important and exciting event than the Rumble. I can see Jericho winning at the Chamber to set up a match with Punk at 'Mania. I think the World Heavyweight match will end up as a triple threat with Bryan/Sheamus/Orton. I'd imagine the build to HHH/Taker, Ryder/Jane and Beth/Kharma will also gather pace in the coming weeks

The daftest moment of the night has to be Big Show plugging Pepperamis for the troops, while wearing merchandise emblazened with the letters 'W.M.D' :lol:

The only thing that I didn't like was the lack of surprise entrants. Usually there are a few that have me going mental, the only one was Road Dogg. I said last week the winner would come from Jericho, Sheamus or Barrett......just a pity I went for the wrong one. Some noteable abscentees who werent there yet some amount of shit was. Primo, Epico, Hunico, Uso etc yet no McIntyre, Clay, Ryan, HHH, Taker, Henry.

The WHC match was shite.

The WWE title match was my favourite of the night. I really good match that decended into a bit of a cluster f**k. Too many ref bumps and why did

Laurinitis jump in at the end to only do a 2 count before leaving again?

Kane vs Cena was meh.......could see the double count out coming a mile off.

I watched it with my mates who claim its the worst Rumble PPV ever. I thought it was ok, but being the Rumble I expected much more.

PS. Kofi is the man.

Any thoughts on what the Elimination Chamber line ups will look like?

Right now i'm thinking...

Raw

CM Punk © v Dolph Ziggler v Chris Jericho v Kane v John Cena v The Miz

Smackdown

Daniel Bryan © v Big Show v Randy Orton v Wade Barrett v Cody Rhodes/Christian/Mark Henry (2 of these 3)

The WWE title match was my favourite of the night. I really good match that decended into a bit of a cluster f**k. Too many ref bumps and why did

Laurinitis jump in at the end to only do a 2 count before leaving again?

It annoyed me that Ziggler didn't get to do much. The 'fame asser' is the only thing I can remember him doing.

Jesus, wrestling is that bad now they need to wheel out a tired, broke and drug wrecked Road Dogg?! I bet he still got a much bigger pop than half the useless diddies in the ring currently there.

Edited by MTJ

Jesus, wrestling is that bad now they need to wheel out a tired, broke and drug wrecked Road Dogg?! I bet he still got a much bigger pop than half the useless diddies in the ring currently there.

It's just tradition to bring back some of these guys. It's been a common occurance for a while.

Oh, and talented guys like Trent fucking Baretta? Jesus.

Barreta is a fine wrestler who always puts on good matches. Just beacause creative have chosen to dump him on Superstars doesn't mean he isn't talented.

There is no hope for the future of the WWE if they choose to put long forgotten relics like Jim Duggan and Road Dogg on PPV while leaving the young guys to rot in obscurity.

Just strikes me as pure desperation. Its only when business has been down they bring back these old guys at every opportunity and with regularity. Road Dogg is in an awful state too, hes been to rehab countless times and totally run down. Fair play to him for probably getting a decent payoff for it though.

Barreta is a fine wrestler who always puts on good matches. Just beacause

creative have chosen to dump him on Superstars doesn't mean he isn't

talented.

His problem isn't creative. There's only so much they can do with a guy with zero character and who isn't very good.

There is no hope for the future of the WWE if they choose to put long forgotten

relics like Jim Duggan and Road Dogg on PPV while leaving the young guys to rot

in obscurity.

There's plenty of guys for the future in WWE, and more will come too. That's a huge over-reaction right there. As for "long forgotten", tell the people in the crowd that who were all over it. Duggan especially was loved.

Just strikes me as pure desperation. Its only when business has been down they

bring back these old guys at every opportunity and with regularity. Road Dogg is

in an awful state too, hes been to rehab countless times and totally run

down.

It was certainly an odd choice, but it was fun for what it was. As for desperation, would it be a rumble without the nostalgia kicks in there? It's not desperation. It's pretty much tradition these days.

Thinking about it now, I'm gutted about the way Barrett was booked. He has been made to look like a legit bad ass the last 6 weeks or so then in the Rumble he is eliminated relatively quickly.

Aye, that was one of the oddities coming out of last night, along with the Ziggler treatment and the Jericho non-payoff. Didn't make much sense having The Big Show out there either. They did make some nice strides, like having Cody Rhodes and The Miz look VERY strong coming out of it.

As a match the Rumble was ok, but it did seem to lack a bit of star quality towards the end. I think once it gets past number 20 I don't expect guys like Jey Uso and David Otunga to be involved. Also Big Show being at 30 was a huge disappointment as I really can't stand him. Had some good moments though (Kofi's handstand, Ricardo Rodriguez and Road Dogg for me) and I think the right guy won but overall it was lacking some good surprises that past rumbles have had.

WWE is almost entitely built on nostalgia. How often do you hear about the 'legacy' of a belt or a wrestlers family? It's only natural that when it comes to gimmick matches, like the Rumble, that they take the nostalgia to the next level.

His problem isn't creative. There's only so much they can do with a guy with zero character and who isn't very good.

There's plenty of guys for the future in WWE, and more will come too. That's a huge over-reaction right there. As for "long forgotten", tell the people in the crowd that who were all over it. Duggan especially was loved.

It was certainly an odd choice, but it was fun for what it was. As for desperation, would it be a rumble without the nostalgia kicks in there? It's not desperation. It's pretty much tradition these days.

Aye, that was one of the oddities coming out of last night, along with the Ziggler treatment and the Jericho non-payoff. Didn't make much sense having The Big Show out there either. They did make some nice strides, like having Cody Rhodes and The Miz look VERY strong coming out of it.

Couldn't agree more with this post.

Jim Duggan's 2x4 has more personality and charisma than Barreta.

Not that odd a choice. He's a WWE employee, it was the easy/cheap option that got all of us cheering. It did its job.

Any thoughts on what the Elimination Chamber line ups will look like?

Right now i'm thinking...

Raw

CM Punk © v Dolph Ziggler v Chris Jericho v Kane v John Cena v The Miz

Smackdown

Daniel Bryan © v Big Show v Randy Orton v Wade Barrett v Cody Rhodes/Christian/Mark Henry (2 of these 3)

I think Mason Ryan could be in one of them.