Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah can see him being our top goal scorer. Great seeing Pitts scoring goals again too, he's excellent getting onto balls played across the 6 yard box, but showed on Saturday there he has a good shot on him scoring from the edge of the box.

Maybe you could clear up something for me, as you're good at analysing games and tactics. Often wondered the advantages between having all 10 outfield players back defending set plays, to leaving a man up the pitch, and why we keep doing it. I mean there has to be stats showing it has merits, but from a layman's point of view (mine) i just don't see it being better than having an out ball, that also gives us a better chance to break up the pitch.

Breaking it down, when defending with everyone back we've 11 v 9, with their 9 having the GK (normally) and set piece taker, out of the numbers in the box. And the opposition prob leave 2 players outside the box to pick up clearances from us defending it, so that leaves 11 v 7 in the box.

Us leaving a player up the pitch takes 2 of their players up with him, which leaves 10 v 7, but we've now got an out ball, and someone to challenge for the ball being cleared, so it isn't casually picked up by them and played back in.

So basically all i see is an 11 v 7 to a 10 v 7, which still gives us a 3 man advantage. The crux of it for me is the out ball, defending with everyone back means we usually have to defend balls into our box at least twice before we get control of the ball to break from our box v only having to clear it once, and having an out ball to boot it up the pitch to counter from the halfway line. 

Long wnided post, and the short version would be, is it really that much of a defensive advantage having 1 extra man back, and worth it to tale away the out ball with leaving a player up the pitch.

Your guess is as good as mine. I assume Martindale must just think that the less space in the box, the better, when it comes to defending set pieces. The more dense the crowd, the less likely an attacking player can get a clean strike at any bouncing ball. Something like that. 

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Maybe you could clear up something for me, as you're good at analysing games and tactics. Often wondered the advantages between having all 10 outfield players back defending set plays, to leaving a man up the pitch, and why we keep doing it. I mean there has to be stats showing it has merits, but from a layman's point of view (mine) i just don't see it being better than having an out ball, that also gives us a better chance to break up the pitch.

2 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I assume Martindale must just think that the less space in the box, the better, when it comes to defending set pieces. The more dense the crowd, the less likely an attacking player can get a clean strike at any bouncing ball. Something like that.

It's simply statistics from my knowledge. From memory I think Callum Carson may have asked the question a while back and basically stats say you're less likely to concede from a corner/set piece with everybody back. 

Would love to know if someone has worked out what how much more likely it makes you to concede from the phase of play after the corner though as for me it invites unnecessary pressure.

I haven't come across a single person who doesn't want us to leave someone up top. It noticeably infuriates the crowd around me at games.