Who's Going To Uni?

There are 6s leagues at Glasgow but not 7s. One of my friends at Strathclyde told me they have 5s leagues there but I've got no idea about 7s. The Powerleague run student leagues as well - we used to play 5s there but they might run 7s leagues as well.

There are 6s leagues at Glasgow but not 7s. One of my friends at Strathclyde told me they have 5s leagues there but I've got no idea about 7s. The Powerleague run student leagues as well - we used to play 5s there but they might run 7s leagues as well.

What size of pitch is 6's played on?

I played in the powerleague 5's last year but 7's is just so much better IMO. It's actually a decent sized pitch where people can hold positions, which I much prefer. And the powerleague 7's pitch is pretty small too unfortunately. Guess I'll just stick with the Glasgow Uni Medics 7's league then, cheers anyway!

The 6s pitches are pretty big actually - a lot bigger than the 7s pitch at the Powerleague. They divide the 11s pitch at Garscube into 4 rather than it being actual dedicated 6s pitches, but the 11s pitch is so wide that there's plenty of space on each 6s pitch. I'd recommend the 6s league - this is our first time playing in it but it's been really good so far. The teams at the Powerleague seemed to be made up of guys who played competitively but so far this has mostly just been guys that are looking for a kickabout at a reasonable standard, which is much preferable for us since we're in the same boat.

The 6s pitches are pretty big actually - a lot bigger than the 7s pitch at the Powerleague. They divide the 11s pitch at Garscube into 4 rather than it being actual dedicated 6s pitches, but the 11s pitch is so wide that there's plenty of space on each 6s pitch. I'd recommend the 6s league - this is our first time playing in it but it's been really good so far. The teams at the Powerleague seemed to be made up of guys who played competitively but so far this has mostly just been guys that are looking for a kickabout at a reasonable standard, which is much preferable for us since we're in the same boat.

Yeah that sounds good actually. The 7's is just the 11's pitch split into 3. Wonder why they do 6's instead of 7's then, pretty unusual.

Just get into Oil and Gas.

Nae a good time. Oil price is tanking.

Just found out that the Aldi graduate scheme has a starting salary of £41,000 rising to £67,750 after four years. You also get a fully expensed Audi A4 from day 1 and private healthcare.

Seriously considering it.

The Adli graduate scheme is infamous. The more you look into it, the less you want to apply.

Although it's following a formula that Accountancy Firms, Consultancies, Law Firms and Banks have been using for decades. Get smart people (or at least people showing good potential) work them extremely hard and pay them comparatively very little, certainly a lot less than what they are contributing. In the case of most, and Aldi especially, this is combined with a pretty ruthless up or out policy to keep everyone in line.

I had an interview with a company that does the same thing, their "joke" in the assessment centre was that some of our consultants thought they wouldn't be working weekends...

Of course, not only do older workers cost a lot more, they're also far less willing to take the culture and atmosphere such firms force on their young workers.

I could not be arsed whatsoever applying for a job like this. Imagine the utter wankers you would come up against should you get to the assessment centre stage.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Although I'm pretty sure you've made this point before, probably on this thread. Have you ever considered maybe they are just people looking for jobs, and they are not inherently worse than every other jobseeker on the planet?

The odds are enormously stacked against graduates these days, I'm not surprised they make the application process so onerous, but those who try to better themselves should hardly be derided.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Although I'm pretty sure you've made this point before, probably on this thread. Have you ever considered maybe they are just people looking for jobs, and they are not inherently worse than every other jobseeker on the planet?

The odds are enormously stacked against graduates these days, I'm not surprised they make the application process so onerous, but those who try to better themselves should hardly be derided.

Most likely, but experience has shown me that it is just such a cut throat process, one which I probably am not cut out for.

I'm in a graduate job just now funnily enough, and whilst it is a pretty stressful role at times, I didn't need to go through nine steps before being offered the job.

Most likely, but experience has shown me that it is just such a cut throat process, one which I probably am not cut out for.

I'm in a graduate job just now funnily enough, and whilst it is a pretty stressful role at times, I didn't need to go through nine steps before being offered the job.

The number of steps is commensurate to the number of applicants, and in some cases, the employers perceived sense of its own importance. McKinsey and Goldman Sachs make you go through a crazy amount of interviews, although the extent to which this is finding the right candidate, or just reinforcing the perception of elitism, is up for significant debate.

I think for my job there was something stupid like 300 applicants for one position. Going through a long process is better than just sticking a pin in the wall.

The number of steps is commensurate to the number of applicants, and in some cases, the employers perceived sense of its own importance. McKinsey and Goldman Sachs make you go through a crazy amount of interviews, although the extent to which this is finding the right candidate, or just reinforcing the perception of elitism, is up for significant debate.

I think for my job there was something stupid like 300 applicants for one position. Going through a long process is better than just sticking a pin in the wall.

Yes, this is the main point I was trying to make. Obviously if you have a lot of applicants for a small number of posts, there is a need to weed out those deemed unsuitable for the job, but I really struggle to think of a role where nine steps is necessary.

Applications for graduate positions I've went for in the past have included -

1. Application
  2. Telephone interview
  3. Face-to-face interview over Skype
  4. One-to-one interview
  5. Assessment centre
  6. Panel interview

For me, that's absolutely plenty. Any other step, in my opinion, is unnecessary.

How have your team been getting on in the league so far?

How have your team been getting on in the league so far?

We're doing alright I suppose. In the three games I've played in so far we beat the girls 26-1 or something ridiculous like that and have lost by one goal in the other two. We lost 9-8 to the guys in the green kits today which was probably a bit unlucky but we're hamstrung by having a couple of particularly mince players.

How are your team getting on?

Edited by Meathead

We're doing alright I suppose. In the three games I've played in so far we beat the girls 26-1 or something ridiculous like that and have lost by one goal in the other two. We lost 9-8 to the guys in the green kits today which was probably a bit unlucky but we're hamstrung by having a couple of particularly mince players.

How are your team getting on?

:lol:

That's the team I play for - I didn't realise that was your team. I was horrendously gash yesterday but my excuse is that I'm injured and so haven't been playing at all... I was wearing the orange boots though.

We've actually managed to win the first four games, although the girls didn't turn up against us for some reason. Was a decent game yesterday, and yeah probably was a bit lucky. Not having a proper keeper is a bit shite tbh.

Anyone managed to get into some sort of 5s/6s/7s league at Aberdeen/RGU? Not had a proper game of football in months, missing it badly.

I'd be up for it. Main deterrent though is work and having to travel for an hour and a half to and from Uni.

Haven't played football in forever though and I literally have no stamina. Got a pair of the green, red & black Nike T90 Laser III in my closet that I've never used

That's the team I play for - I didn't realise that was your team. I was horrendously gash yesterday but my excuse is that I'm injured and so haven't been playing at all... I was wearing the orange boots though.

We've actually managed to win the first four games, although the girls didn't turn up against us for some reason. Was a decent game yesterday, and yeah probably was a bit lucky. Not having a proper keeper is a bit shite tbh.

Yeah I think I can picture you. I was the one wearing the half black half white Ayr top and blue shorts. Yeah it was the best game we've had so far, and a few of the guys in our team were genuinely gutted at the end. We're in the same boat with not having a keeper and this is the first week we've had more than 6, which kind of ended up working against us since we had two complete diddies. Can't wait to play those Asian guys, just to see them celebrate up close.

Guest honestrae95

I was the other guy in an Ayr top having a meltdown every 3 mins or so. I scored the opener though. :D

Yeah I think I can picture you. I was the one wearing the half black half white Ayr top and blue shorts. Yeah it was the best game we've had so far, and a few of the guys in our team were genuinely gutted at the end. We're in the same boat with not having a keeper and this is the first week we've had more than 6, which kind of ended up working against us since we had two complete diddies. Can't wait to play those Asian guys, just to see them celebrate up close.

The Asian guys are terrible but they're really sound (unlike most of the teams in the leagues). We had a decent game with them.

I was the other guy in an Ayr top having a meltdown every 3 mins or so. I scored the opener though. :D

Aye think I remember you kept running into folk from other pitches who were getting in the way? If so, you came dressed as a referee and I stupidly assumed Garscube had provided one so asked you about it...

Guest honestrae95

The Asian guys are terrible but they're really sound (unlike most of the teams in the leagues). We had a decent game with them.

Aye think I remember you kept running into folk from other pitches who were getting in the way? If so, you came dressed as a referee and I stupidly assumed Garscube had provided one so asked you about it...

That was me, I had an SFA jumper on. I think I called some guy retrieving a ball a c**t because rather than stopping and letting our game go on, he just walked right through everyone where the play was.

Fucking c**t.