Safe Mode

Can someone please tell me how to start my pc in safe mode? I have a trojan(Spelling?) virus and i am running a virus check just now,but my pc keeps switching itself off. Thank you for your help.

Do you not hold down F8 when the PC is restarting

Thank you for your help. :D Will try that next time the pc decides to switch itself off.

Another problem i am having just now is i ran an anti vrius check with norton after that was running it said that i had a virus and to check my AVG anti virus,i did that and ran that for a check for the virus,but it came back with nothing! Is there anything i should be running any other programme to find the firus?

I have just run norton again and it came back with the same warning again. :angry:

Is your anti-virus up-to-date?

Why do you have avg and Norton?

If its a new virus download the lasted stinger from mcafee HERE

This is what it says in the prompt box. Torjan horse. startup page .9.BV

C:\documents and settings\james\local settings\temp internet files\content.IES\HEP9LMMV\fave[1].exe

I have AVG and norton cause norton doesn't allways detect viruses. And yeah i did an up-date on both this morning. I also have no-adwear programme running to.

EDIT: Thank you for the link.

My pc is still shutting itself down. :( And i have run all the virus checkers ect i have and have been given links to,still comming back with nothing. :blink:

I started the pc in safe mode and did all the checks while on that,still nothing. Could it be the RAM that was installed that is causeing the problems?

I have also been on the windows update web site and they have nothing new on there to download.

Any help would be great,thanks.

Edit: Another thing the other half took out one block of the old ram to make room for the new one,would that have caused the problem?

Have a look at this, and see if it helps

Recovery Settings

One of the things that is quite different about Windows XP compared to Windows 9x (9x is shorthand for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me in all their various versions), is that one can control how it responds to certain critical errors—those that cause the infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. If that fatal error only occurs when you're shutting down, the system reboots automatically.

If you haven't changed any of the system failure settings, you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. But a better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens—chances are it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot

My pc is still shutting itself down. :(  And i have run all the virus checkers ect i have and have been given links to,still comming back with nothing. :blink:

I started the pc in safe mode and did all the checks while on that,still nothing. Could it be the RAM that was installed that is causeing the problems? 

I have also been on the windows update web site and they have nothing new on there to download.

Any help would be great,thanks.

Edit: Another thing the other half took out one block of the old ram to make room for the new one,would that have caused the problem?

OK mate i think you need to look at what you are doing when your PC shuts down.....for instance if watching a DVD or playing a game then your gfx card is overheating and is ....well goosed!

So if you post what you are doing then we can maybe help you, i would also run a complete spyware check using both ad-aware and Spybot

OK mate i think you need to look at what you are doing when your PC shuts down.....for instance if watching a DVD or playing a game then your gfx card is overheating and is ....well goosed!

So if you post what you are doing then we can maybe help you, i would also run a complete spyware check using both ad-aware and Spybot

It happend at first when i was playing the sims2,but i dont think it is cause of that as i haven't been playing that game today and it was still happening.

Also it's not the graphics card,as i checked that,and i have updated the drivers for that. And i have run all spy wear,anti virus checks ect,in safe mode and normaly. It still comes back with nothing.

Ruggy Bairn,thanks for the info,it has helped so far(Keeping everything crossed) Thank you again. :D

This is what it said when i got the blue screen telling me to shut my pc down.

Begining dump of physical memory. Is that anything to worry about?

Also started in safe mode again and putting the settings back to when the pc worked. And surprise surprise the virus warning came up. :angry:

Can i get a link to pest patrol,please. Thank you.

Thank you all for your help with this problem. I have run a hijackthis programme,and have sent my log to Web User Forums to see if anyone can find anything that shouldn't be in there. :D

Guest falkirk fan

i dont know any link, i dont have it , my pal has it and i think he had to pay for it, but its supposed to be really good

Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to make the icons smaller,and my screen to strech to fit the screen? I just installed new drivers for my graphics card,and when i restarted my pc the icons and screen are all over the place.

Archived