Liverpool

BerwickMad

Liverpool have certainly fallen behind the Big Three, mainly due to pash signings over the past few years. If the current side didn't have Steven Gerrard they would be fecked big style. I read in the papers the other day that Carlsberg are unlikely to renegotiate the £6m/year sponsorship deal as they don't think Liverpool are a 'global brand' as well, which could hurt them financially.

My favourite team in the Premiership are probably Everton (wouldn't call myself a 'fan' by any manner of means) but it is sad that a club like Chelsea, who haven't won the league in 50 years and have spent the majority of the time since scrabbling about being shyte, are considered a bigger club than Liverpool simply because of money. When I first started watching/taking an interest in football Chelsea were rubbish and were perenial relegation strugglers. Also, when the Premiership was formed the Big Five were Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton :blink:

I think the big lesson is that to stay at the top in football you need to work well in the transfer market - Arsenal under Wenger being a prime example. I think that Wenger has actually made money in the transfer market since taking over at Highbury, and he still managed to bring in Campbell, Viera, Henry etc. The clubs who don't (Spurs and Everton from the original Big Five) and Liverpool recently slip back.

Well Wenger hasn't made money in the transfer market, but he certainly got some great bargains.

Liverpool are a big club, but they are not going to be challenging for a league title in the next few years as there current squad is very average to say the least (especially if you take Gerrard out).

Guest BullyWee1878
Liverpool have certainly fallen behind the Big Three, mainly due to pash signings over the past few years. If the current side didn't have Steven Gerrard they would be fecked big style. I read in the papers the other day that Carlsberg are unlikely to renegotiate the £6m/year sponsorship deal as they don't think Liverpool are a 'global brand' as well, which could hurt them financially.

I doubt that as Carlsberg signed a big contract with Liverpool only a couple of years ago and even if Carlsberg did leave at the end of the contract Liverpool would have sponsers dying to get their name on the famous shirt.

I doubt that as Carlsberg signed a big contract with Liverpool only a couple of years ago and even if Carlsberg did leave at the end of the contract Liverpool would have sponsers dying to get their name on the famous shirt.

What famous shirt? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Unless you are Man Utd or Arsenal (and even their O2 contract runs out next season) shirt sponsorship usually only lasts 3 years at the most.

Frankly it's going to take Benitez or whoever years to undo the chronic mismanagement of the Houllier regime. Liverpool don't have the pulling power, the appeal or the cash to challenge the big three and it will take a serious amount of investment to redress the imbalance. In the meantime, their only truely decen player, Gerrard patently wants out, and the defence is absolutely honking. They don't have any real quality strikers either, although Morientes would change that. You can't rely on a flash in the pan gimpy striker for an entire season.

Archived