The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Heavy rumour for the final Download headliner is Kiss/Motley Crue/Slash, tweeted by Gene Simmons a few days ago. AC replied said GS was trolling, I know GS is a bit daft sometimes but I doubt he was trolling. I fully expect this will be confirmed tomorrow morning. If that is the final headliner then my stag do is sorted.

It's absolutely stone cold certain that KISS are the headliners, and Motley Crue are behind them. Have no idea what the other parts of the lineup are for the Sunday, but you can take KISS and the Crue to the bank.

Edited by NewDomDom

KISS alone are probably enough to sway me to Download. Need to wait for more of the undercard to fill up - if there are hardly any bands I want to see I might just day ticket it if possible for the Sunday then do all of Hellfest - but this is looking positive.

Really need to hope that if not in the cinema in the campsite, at least a pub in Donington will show the Scotland v Ireland game which kicks off at 5 on the Saturday. Hopefully leaving just enough time to make it back for Faith No More.

Kiss put on an amazing show. Saw them in 2010 and they were great. Think that day may coincide with Scotland Ireland at Aviva though so might have to give it a miss.

The Ireland game's the Saturday at 5. I'm hoping it'll be shown somewhere that allows enough time to make it back for the start of Faith No More.

Day tickets have been made available for Download if anyone wants to get in there for the Sunday.

What are we talking about roughly in terms of doing hellfest/other foreign festivals compared to a uk festival? Is it much more costly? How does the experience differ?

Tickets tend to be a good bit cheaper but obviously you've got higher travelling costs which usually balance it out to make the cost of ticket/travel combined about the same.

I've only done Hellfest so others could be a different but on my experience there, from a security perspective the rules are a lot more relaxed which makes it cheaper while you're there and gives you less hassle getting to and from the arena. None of the UK festival pish of having to worry about smuggling drink into the arena or pay £4 a pint, at Hellfest you can buy a drink when you arrive along with a jug, then for the rest of the weekend you can fill up the jug with your own drink and saunter in no questions asked.

Hellfest has six stages, three running at one time, then there's generally just a crossover of five or ten minutes for the other three to start up. This means you're never sat about with nothing to watch as you can be at some UK festivals and means that bands low on the bill always get a decent length of set, no four songs and you're off pish, but on the downside means it's far worse for clashes in the undercard. It would also be nice to be able to sit about for a while and not feel like you're missing something in such a ridiculously warm place, and considering the heat there's where I do feel it compares badly to the UK festivals: not anywhere near enough water points for somewhere with our climate never mind theirs, not enough places for food, not enough toilets. All in all though, I found it to be a much more laid back atmosphere where everyone's friendly and you're treated considerably less like cattle than you are in the UK.

Edited by Dunning1874