A New Pc - Transferring Data To It

I'm still considering buying a new PC. Obviously I have a load of data I want transferred, and that's easy enough.

However, what about things like all my emails, etc, that aren't just as easy as writing to a CD then copying onto the new pc?

Or is there an easier way than that?

Basically what I am asking is, how easy is it to buy a new PC, and then transfer everything you need from your old one to your new one?

Cheers in advance! :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my old hard drive put into my new machine. It only took a couple of minutes keeps me new hard drive free from the old shite I never need these days as well. ;)

Yes, I've got a separate hard drive, and intended to do that. Is it easy?

It's more emails, and applications like Mozilla and all my printer, broadband etc drivers.

Do I need to reinstall everything, or whit? :blink:

Naw. All my programmes etc still run from my old hard drive.

The only thing I did was reinstall all my music as I upgraded my Real Player to the most up to date version as my old machine couldnt handle that.

I spent two days putting all my CD's back into my jukebox as for some reason they wouldnt transfer over. :blink:

Edit - As for installing the drive I got my IT guy in here to do it, it only took him a couple of minutes as new machines all seem to have a slot and a spare cable for old hard drives he said.

Edit - As for installing the drive I got my IT guy in here to do it, it only took him a couple of minutes as new machines all seem to have a slot and a spare cable for old hard drives he said.

Yep, I've installed a hard drive myself once, it's really easy.

I didn't even consider swapping over the original hard drive from my old PC too, that could probably solve everything.... :blink:

F'ked if I know. It just does. :lol:

Well get tae f'k then and let someone who knows what they're talking about answer! :lol:

I was thinking, "It must be easy if that numpty's done it", but I now realise you quite obviously had a lot of help in the matter. :P

When yer computer boots up, hit f2 and you can choose which hard drive it'll load windows etc from ;)

alternatively, emails can be copied across dead easily, you just drag them out of Outlook/Outlook Express/whatever you use onto your desktop/a folder. To put them into your mail software at the other end you just drag them back in ;)

When you install the old hard drive in your new machine you'll set it as a slave - little jumper switch on the back of the hard disk, the hard disk in the new machine will be the master. This will then boot the system from the new hard disk with new operating system et al.

For stuff like bookmarks/emails etc you can usually export these and then import them into a new installation of the appropriate program which is what I'd do. I'd then copy everything off the old disk - format it to get rid of the old operating system then just use it for backup purposes (using drive imaging software) or just use for data storage, e.g all your music.

When you install the old hard drive in your new machine you'll set it as a slave - little jumper switch on the back of the hard disk, the hard disk in the new machine will be the master. This will then boot the system from the new hard disk with new operating system et al.

For stuff like bookmarks/emails etc you can usually export these and then import them into a new installation of the appropriate program which is what I'd do. I'd then copy everything off the old disk - format it to get rid of the old operating system then just use it for backup purposes (using drive imaging software) or just use for data storage, e.g all your music.

Thanks Donaldo, that's helpful.

I have a slight problem, in that I have Word, Access, Powerpoint, Excel etc, on my computer in the house, but have no disc to re-install them :ph34r:

Anyway of copying those over, or do I just need to use the old hard disk?

Thanks Donaldo, that's helpful.

I have a slight problem, in that I have Word, Access, Powerpoint, Excel etc, on my computer in the house, but have no disc to re-install them :ph34r:

Anyway of copying those over, or do I just need to use the old hard disk?

Robert, there was an article in Computer Buyer magazine recently telling you how to clone your old HD onto your nice new shiny FASTER HD.

I'm going back out to work just now but I'll dig it out later and post the details.

Robert, there was an article in Computer Buyer magazine recently telling you how to clone your old HD onto your nice new shiny FASTER HD.

I'm going back out to work just now but I'll dig it out later and post the details.

Thanks Tom, I'd really appreciate that. I've found a base unit now, just need to wait until payday to get it :rolleyes:

Ruggy - the best thing to do is get one of the hard drive copier programs, such as partionmagic - if you put your old hard drive into your pc - you can then copy across.

What you have to bear in mind though, is if you are not using the same chipset - you might have problems (for instance if you are going from a pentium system to an athlon system, the chipset drivers are different and you may end up blue screening).

If your using mozilla, you should be able to backup your emails to a file which you then reimport - and then just copy across the files from your old hard drive that you want to your new one.

Chances are your new hard drive in your pc will be SATA and not IDE, so you wont need to worry about changing master and slaves on these, just keep your old one on a different ide channel from your cd/dvd drive/s.

Id be happy to give you a hand if you find it a bit much, the only thing really you have to watch out for is the chipset drivers, you would be wiser to stick to a fresh install of windows, emails is gonna be your only moderately tricky bit (if mozilla dosent allow you to back them up, but im sure it does).

Ruggy - the best thing to do is get one of the hard drive copier programs, such as partionmagic - if you put your old hard drive into your pc - you can then copy across.

What you have to bear in mind though, is if you are not using the same chipset - you might have problems (for instance if you are going from a pentium system to an athlon system, the chipset drivers are different and you may end up blue screening).

If your using mozilla, you should be able to backup your emails to a file which you then reimport - and then just copy across the files from your old hard drive that you want to your new one.

Chances are your new hard drive in your pc will be SATA and not IDE, so you wont need to worry about changing master and slaves on these, just keep your old one on a different ide channel from your cd/dvd drive/s.

Id be happy to give you a hand if you find it a bit much, the only thing really you have to watch out for is the chipset drivers, you would be wiser to stick to a fresh install of windows, emails is gonna be your only moderately tricky bit (if mozilla dosent allow you to back them up, but im sure it does).

THanks Marrez, I think I'm sorted. I have managed to "source" disks for XP Pro again, and Office if required, and it's looking good. As for emails, although I use Mozilla for browsing, I actually use Outlook for my email package. I've found a step by step guide as to how to back those up too. I don't think I'm going to lose anything. :)

Bottom line is, if I lose what's on my primary hard drive, it's no great shakes. I'll back my emails up to CD if necessary. My secondary hard drive has all my music and, ahem, video files, on it and I can just lift that out and stick it in the new comp (Which will mean I'll have 200GB :o:D )

soory Robert, can't find that magazine, must have thrown it out

No probs Tom, I think I'm sorted anyway. Thanks :)

Found an excellent article Tom:

CLONING

Very good. :)

you bought a new HD but your combined capacity is only 200 GB? :rolleyes:

THe Hard drive on my home PC at the moment is 5 gig :lol: So I bought a 120gb drive. The HD on this new PC is 80GB.

Archived