The Tightest League Title Race In Europe?

Baggio

Within 10 games to go, Milan and Juve are locked together on 63 points and the same goal difference. Milan are top having scored 1 solitary goal more.

A controversial win at the weekend for Juve against Chievo has kept things as tight as they can possibly be.

Who do you think will be the strongest when it comes to the crunch?

Will the Champions league performances have an effect on the eventual outcome?

How are your team doing?

Serie A table

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Geordie_Elvis

I follow Roma's results and they are having a crap season!

Some big names at the bottom of the league tho?? Fallen giants..Parma,Lazio,Fiorentina?

Some big names at the bottom of the league tho?? Fallen giants..Parma,Lazio,Fiorentina?

Wouldn't exactly call Fiorentina fallen giants. I mean they have been promoted twice in recent seasons after they went bankrupt in 2001.

Guest Geordie_Elvis
Wouldn't exactly call Fiorentina fallen giants. I mean they have been promoted twice in recent seasons after they went bankrupt in 2001.

yeah but what i was saying was when i was growing up they were always one of the big teams.....you had Milan,Inter,Juve,Parma,Roma,Sampdoria,Lazio and Fiorentina and even at the age of 8 or 9 you could name all these foreign sides. Now half of them are still at the top whilst the others have fallen from grace.

yeah but what i was saying was when i was growing up they were always one of the big teams.....you had Milan,Inter,Juve,Parma,Roma,Sampdoria,Lazio and Fiorentina and even at the age of 8 or 9 you could name all these foreign sides. Now half of them are still at the top whilst the others have fallen from grace.

Roma and Lazio are just having bad seasons. Parma are in a massive financial hole following the collapse of Parmalat (which is a major case of fraud) and the rest of them are doing not too badly now (as Milan are top, Juve are second, Inter are third and Sampdoria are 4th).

Guest Geordie_Elvis
Roma and Lazio are just having bad seasons. Parma are in a massive financial hole following the collapse of Parmalat (which is a major case of fraud) and the rest of them are doing not too badly now (as Milan are top, Juve are second, Inter are third and Sampdoria are 4th).

aye, wots the crack with the Parma situation, I seen something in the serie A magazine the other day but didnt get the chance to read right thru it????

How are your team doing?

I've always had a wee fancy for Inter, dunno why, just have?

They are off the pace again this season, mind you when you have Materazzi as your centre half you are going to have problems.

I really miss Channel 4's coverage of Italian football, Sunday afternoon use to be magic, whatever happened to James Richardson, I thought he was an excellent presenter.

AC look very strong, I'll plump for them with a Serie A / Champions League double.

Guest Geordie_Elvis
AC look very strong, I'll plump for them with a Serie A / Champions League double.

Milan have got a hell of a squad, people go on about Real, Chelsea, Barca etc but if you look throughout the squad, every position is taken by a top class player. Even the older boys like Cafu,Maldini,Costacurta can still play at the highest level, then you have got the likes of Kaka, Shevchenko,Rui Costa,Seedorf,Pirlo etc etc Oh yeah and one time toon flop Jon Dahl Tomasson!!!!

Milan have got a hell of a squad, people go on about Real, Chelsea, Barca etc but if you look throughout the squad, every position is taken by a top class player. Even the older boys like Cafu,Maldini,Costacurta can still play at the highest level, then you have got the likes of Kaka, Shevchenko,Rui Costa,Seedorf,Pirlo etc etc Oh yeah and one time toon flop Jon Dahl Tomasson!!!!

Agreed, real strength in depth, Cafu & Maldini look as fit as ever, Costacurta lives off his experience.

I've always thought Rui Costa is a fantastic player, he has consistently been in the top 5 players in the world over the last 10 years.

Attacking midfielders, great defenders and goals in abundance.

They also have a fantastic manager (forgotten his name?).

I've always had a wee fancy for Inter, dunno why, just have?

They are off the pace again this season, mind you when you have Materazzi as your centre half you are going to have problems.

I really miss Channel 4's coverage of Italian football, Sunday afternoon use to be magic, whatever happened to James Richardson, I thought he was an excellent presenter.

I've got a soft spot for Juve ever since I first saw Roberto Baggio play. They always seem to be there or thereabouts. Was very impressed with their performance in extra time against Real. I think one will win in Europe and one will win the league.

Inter have had some amount of draws though have they not? A few more wins and things would have looked much rosier.

I miss James Richardson on a Sunday too. I think he is on Eurosport now :(

Guest Geordie_Elvis

Spanish footy is crap man, theres only 3 teams worth watching and sky show real or barca every sat/sun night.

Serie A has at least 8 good teams and its a lot better standard of footy as well, you just need to look at the top of the league.......proper old fashioned 'down to the wire' end of the season with 2 teams almost identical. Its a shame its a rareity nowadays, the leagues are generally won with 3 or 4 games still to go.

aye, wots the crack with the Parma situation, I seen something in the serie A magazine the other day but didnt get the chance to read right thru it????

I know quite a lot about it as I did a project on it for Uni (I am doing Economics and Finance at Uni). The basic jist is that Parma are owned by milk and dairy product giant Parmalat who are in administration (and are about to go bankrupt) due to severe financial mismanagement. This is because they stated in there financial accounts they had $4.5bn in a Bank of America account that didn't exist, with BoA originally saying they had the account only to later say it din't exists.

For this many of the directors are either currently on trial or in jail.

This situation has caused Parma to have to sell any players that are of any value. Furthermore if they get relegated this season then they will likely go to the wall.

Sad situation. :(

Guest Pompey
This is because they stated in there financial accounts they had $4.5bn in a Bank of America account that didn't exist, with BoA originally saying they had the account only to later say it din't exists.

I'm going to do that :D

How the f**k did they get away with that?? Well, clearly they didn't, but they must've done for a good while!

:o I went off Roma when Totti acted like a total arse against the Toon trying to get Solano sent off.

I prefere Juve as they play in Black and white and helped keep us in the Champions League by beating Kiev.

Have to say i prefere Serie A as well. Im sick of the Barca, Real Madrid thing and the way they go on over there. More bigger clubs in Italy.

I'm going to do that :D

How the f**k did they get away with that?? Well, clearly they didn't, but they must've done for a good while!

They got away with it because Bank of America confirmed that the account existed for some reason (i.e. probably a bribe). Only to change there mind 6 months later and deny the account existed.

Nothing would surprise me about Parmalat, I mean there CEO Calisto Tanzi has claimed in prison to have siphoned about $500m off Parmalat over the years.

Guest Pompey

I think you should get time off your sentence proportional to how well you executed the crime.

Example: yon Tanzi chap did fantastically well. If his prison sentence would have been 5 years, I'd reduce it to 4.

If you get away with something that's on active investigation for more than 10 years, you should also be free from trial.

It's time this country started rewarding the clever.

By the way, what was that film where a bank teller was taking $0,01 from every account, every week? That was cracking. I mean, who'd notice a cent going missing?

i'm a milan man! :D Loved them since the early 90's and have a video tape from the 92/93 season - van basten's last. :(

think they will edge the league, Juve have bottled a decent lead and they are struggling i reckon!

Fiorentina are sort of fallen giants as they used to be massive (one of the seven sisters) before going bust. Glad to see them back in the top flight. :D

Parma on the other hand are a wee team that were only projected to the dizzy heights of the serie A due to Parmalat's success as a business in the early 90's.

Think AC Milan will win it.

Used to support Sampdoria as a kid, mainly because i played them in some football game for Megadrive when i first got it, around the time Italian Football started to become popular. Didnt really watch much however, as was always playing/coaching sunday afternoons.

Archived