Homeland

Quentin Taranbino

Sundays episode was great, for a couple of episodes there I thought it was drifting a little and fears were growing that it could go the way of Lost,Prison Break,Heroes etc.... great start but all falls away halfway through season 2 , looks like I was wrong.......PLEASING!biggrin.gif

we are far into the realms of nonsense now.

Jumped the shark big time this sunday.

Aye, I'm willing to suspend disbelief up to a point but it's just been far too silly. There's been a massive drop in quality from the first season, and I'm now only barely hanging in there to see how it all pans out. For all it's ludicrousness, the swines are still adept at including the occasional scene which effectively ramps up the tension though. Tense but nonsensical.

the cia not bothering to watch brody or tap his phone is beyond stupid.

The most glaring one is the terrorists stopping Saul on the way back to America to take the memory card with Brody's suicide tape on it off him.

They done this knowing full well that the CIA had seen it and knew he was a terrorist, yet they still continue to tell him sensitive information.

I can see this going very similarly to the early 24 series. Season 1 was tightly plotted, a fairly small threat centered around a small cast of characters - very similar to Season 1 of Homeland (within reason). Season 2 grew the threat and turned up a bit of the ridiculousness as a result. Homeland seems to be following this pattern.

Having said that though, it's still brilliant. The acting for the most part has been fantastic - Brody, Carrie and Saul all deserve massive credit. The former because, like well fan said, you're now rooting for the terrorist. Wouldn't be possible without the believable performance. Danes has been brilliant too, and always plays the character just right. She could easily stray away from straddling between sane/crazy, but she manages to keep it just on that line - makes it all the better performance. The scene where she stole the guy's phone in the last C4 episode and ended up running down the road with him chasing her struck me as oddly hilarious given her mental state. The one unsung hero in the show though for me is Saul. Some may say he's a pretty boring character as he very rarely shows his emotions, but there have been a few times where he's been able to show that he's actually a very good actor. One of my favourite characters on the show.

Anyway, I'm still on Channel 4 time, although with Sports Personality of the Year on Sunday, I may watch the finale a little earlier. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it - they've certainly sprung some surprises along the way. I imagined this would be the episode they uncovered Brody, but to do that way back in episode 3 was a ballsy move. Now it looks as though Nazir is out there on his own, and the way they left the last episode seems to suggest Carrie will be back in the firing line. With season 3 on the horizon, I can't see them capturing Nazir. I would much prefer a third season to wrap up the two that have gone before rather than bring in a whole new plotline.

One thing I do hope for though - please make the third series the last. Please don't overplay this. It's been great, but if it goes into latter-stages-of-24 levels of lunacy, it'll be a big shame.

The most glaring one is the terrorists stopping Saul on the way back to America to take the memory card with Brody's suicide tape on it off him.

They done this knowing full well that the CIA had seen it and knew he was a terrorist, yet they still continue to tell him sensitive information.

But it wasn't the terrorists directly though, or it was never stated. He was leaving Lebanon, so it would have been the Palestinian Security Forces that confiscated the tape. They may not have known what was on it either, and couldn't have assumed that Saul would have watched it either. They could have thought that with the tape in their possession, they would have nothing to go on, and no proof of Brody being a terrorist. All conjecture though.

The bigger plothole around that is how the tape actually got to Lebanon. Brody buries it somewhere in suburban Washington D.C., fast forward a year or so to Season 2 and its suddenly in Lebanon? I hope they explain that in the finale because it's a pretty big plot point.

One thing I do hope for though - please make the third series the last. Please don't overplay this. It's been great, but if it goes into latter-stages-of-24 levels of lunacy, it'll be a big shame.

Dunno, i reckon they can wrap up the Nazir threat and go into a third series with the politics at the CIA the focus. Estes and Quinn's involvement etc.

Edit to say: Dunno where they write Brodie into this though as he's soon gonna have no job.

Edited by Christophe

I can see this going very similarly to the early 24 series. Season 1 was tightly plotted, a fairly small threat centered around a small cast of characters - very similar to Season 1 of Homeland (within reason). Season 2 grew the threat and turned up a bit of the ridiculousness as a result. Homeland seems to be following this pattern.

Having said that though, it's still brilliant. The acting for the most part has been fantastic - Brody, Carrie and Saul all deserve massive credit. The former because, like well fan said, you're now rooting for the terrorist. Wouldn't be possible without the believable performance. Danes has been brilliant too, and always plays the character just right. She could easily stray away from straddling between sane/crazy, but she manages to keep it just on that line - makes it all the better performance. The scene where she stole the guy's phone in the last C4 episode and ended up running down the road with him chasing her struck me as oddly hilarious given her mental state. The one unsung hero in the show though for me is Saul. Some may say he's a pretty boring character as he very rarely shows his emotions, but there have been a few times where he's been able to show that he's actually a very good actor. One of my favourite characters on the show.

Anyway, I'm still on Channel 4 time, although with Sports Personality of the Year on Sunday, I may watch the finale a little earlier. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it - they've certainly sprung some surprises along the way. I imagined this would be the episode they uncovered Brody, but to do that way back in episode 3 was a ballsy move. Now it looks as though Nazir is out there on his own, and the way they left the last episode seems to suggest Carrie will be back in the firing line. With season 3 on the horizon, I can't see them capturing Nazir. I would much prefer a third season to wrap up the two that have gone before rather than bring in a whole new plotline.

Good post, I agree with much of this - I read that danes and Lewis had signed up for five seasons - how can you get 3 more years after this?

I'm on c4 time as well. I've accepted that the show has been nonsense for a while, but the conversation between Carrie and Nazir was a particular lowlight.

Still very enjoyable though.

Dunno, i reckon they can wrap up the Nazir threat and go into a third series with the politics at the CIA the focus. Estes and Quinn's involvement etc.

That would be a bold,clever move, The appeal of the show to the masses seems to be built around the Lewis-Danes relationship though, so it's hard to seeb them doing a Wire and writing such main characters out of the picture.

But it wasn't the terrorists directly though, or it was never stated. He was leaving Lebanon, so it would have been the Palestinian Security Forces that confiscated the tape. They may not have known what was on it either, and couldn't have assumed that Saul would have watched it either. They could have thought that with the tape in their possession, they would have nothing to go on, and no proof of Brody being a terrorist. All conjecture though.

The bigger plothole around that is how the tape actually got to Lebanon. Brody buries it somewhere in suburban Washington D.C., fast forward a year or so to Season 2 and its suddenly in Lebanon? I hope they explain that in the finale because it's a pretty big plot point.

But surely even if there was the slightest hint that the CIA were onto them they'd have cut all ties?