Booing Davie Weir

Will you boo Davie Weir?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wellyton

I would boo Weir, the same as I would give abuse to Burley or Matteo or anyone else who turned their back on their country.

However, let's not kid ourselves on. Weir was p!sh, the whole Berti thing was nothing more than a good cover story for one of the worst Scotland players of all time to bow out.

At the end of the day, if we had a semi decent national side the likes of Weir would be nowhere near the squad.

I would boo Weir, the same as I would give abuse to Burley or Matteo or anyone else who turned their back on their country.

However, let's not kid ourselves on. Weir was p!sh, the whole Berti thing was nothing more than a good cover story for one of the worst Scotland players of all time to bow out.

At the end of the day, if we had a semi decent national side the likes of Weir would be nowhere near the squad.

451281[/snapback]

The only thing that is pish is your post! :lol:

Weir has been oustanding in the EPL this season, playing a leading role in one of the best defences in the league. In fact, he has been offered a new deal, so good have his performances been, despite expecting to leave at the end of his contract and having previously been assured by Moyes that he wouldn't get a new deal.

If he's one of the worst Scotland players of all time, give me 10 more like him, and we might have a semi-decent team.

Incidentally, did you watch his performance in the San Siro? :rolleyes:

Possibly. I stand by the statement though.

451622[/snapback]

You seem like a reasonable poster, but to call someone 'vermin', a 'parasite' and to wish for his death or serious injury is unacceptable. Whether or not you were joking, I'm astonished someone could stand by those statements.

Quite apart from anything else, I fail to see how he has been parasitical in any way!

I am not proud of this statement having had time to reflect on things. I get a bit carried away at times and say things I don't really mean. However, I made the statement and therefore I must stand by it in as much as there's no point in trying to pretend that I didn't.

Whilst I have nothing but utter contempt and hatred for the life form that is David Weir, I would not wish to see the death of another 'human' being.

As far as being a parasite goes, David Weir was quite happy to play for Scotland during the good times. It's fair to say that he would have been lucky to get a transfer to Everton had he not been an international and had a decent world cup in 1998. This is all speculation of course but personally, I doubt Everton would have signed him on his performances for Hearts alone.

When the good times disappeared and we missed out on world cup 2002 he took the first opportunity to jump ship. The criticism from Berti was more than deserved for a rank rotten display. Whether Berti was right or wrong to criticise him is quite another matter. The fact remains that he turned his back on his country because, IMO, he realsied we didn't have the players to compete at this level.

It could be argued that his return is an effort to give something back to the national team. However, I would argue that he ought to have done this when we needed it most, after the Faroes debacle. He let us down when we needed him most. He was probably our best and most experienced defender at the time. Berti Vogts criticise other players after that defeat. None of them walked away.

Personally, I think the only reason he returned is because he believes that the good times are set to return under Walter Smith. Whether they will or not is a matter of opinion but I doubt he would have returned had Scotland appointed a manager with whom he had no quarrell but who he believed to be incapable of achieving limited success.

In short he is a parasite because he reaped the benefits of international football by gaining a transfer to a level he migh not have reached had he not been an international. Once he got there and the good times dried up, he turned hios back on Scotland.

That is my take on things. Yours may be different.

In short he is a parasite because he reaped the benefits of international football by gaining a transfer to a level he migh not have reached had he not been an international. Once he got there and the good times dried up, he turned hios back on Scotland.

That is my take on things. Yours may be different.

451679[/snapback]

It's a chicken and egg thing. If his performances hadn't been good for Hearts, he wouldn't have been picked for Scotland. If he wasn't good enough for Scotland, he wouldn't have been good enough for Everton. As he was good enough for both, he was picked for both.

Duncan Ferguson refused to play for Scotland, went to jail, and still got a big move to Everton though. :rolleyes:

It's a chicken and egg thing. If his performances hadn't been good for Hearts, he wouldn't have been picked for Scotland. If he wasn't good enough for Scotland, he wouldn't have been good enough for Everton. As he was good enough for both, he was picked for both.

Duncan Ferguson refused to play for Scotland, went to jail, and still got a big move to Everton though.  :rolleyes:

451683[/snapback]

Surely that's not the point though. If he wasn't picked for Scotland, personally, I doubt if he would have been bought by Everton. It is my opinion that his international performances certainly assissted him and that Everton would havbe been less likely to buy him had he not proved himself at international level.

Edited to include: Obviously this is all hypothetical but if Duncan Ferguson had proved himself at international level, bigger clubs than Everton might have come in for him.

Surely that's not the point though. If he wasn't picked for Scotland, personally, I doubt if he would have been bought by Everton. It is my opinion that his international performances certainly assissted him and that Everton would havbe been less likely to buy him had he not proved himself at international level.

451743[/snapback]

Duncan Ferguson?

I think that disproves your point.

Jees o. You must be hanging on my every word. :lol:

451751[/snapback]

:lol: Had actually been elsewhere, just came back to the site and it was the first post on the view new posts thing. Likewise with this one, when I refreshed this came up.

As for answering the point...?

:lol:  Had actually been elsewhere, just came back to the site and it was the first post on the view new posts thing. Likewise with this one, when I refreshed this came up.

As for answering the point...?

451753[/snapback]

Edited to include: Obviously this is all hypothetical but if Duncan Ferguson had proved himself at international level, bigger clubs than Everton might have come in for him.

451743[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

451761[/snapback]

Easy enough to edit posts, isn't it? :rolleyes:

That's rubbish anyway. If he had been capable of proving himself at international level, his performances in the EPL would have reflected this, and he'd have got his move to a bigger club. Which he did, going to Newcastle. So international football had nothing to do with it.

Easy enough to edit posts, isn't it?  :rolleyes:

451768[/snapback]

This post has been edited by Tormod Macleod: Today, 15:33

:blink:

That's rubbish anyway. If he had been capable of proving himself at international level, his performances in the EPL would have reflected this, and he'd have got his move to a bigger club. Which he did, going to Newcastle. So international football had nothing to do with it.

IMO, this is nothing to do with David Weir's transfer from Hearts to Everton and how this was helped by his performances for Scotland. However, since you ask...

Everton did not purchase Duncan Ferguson from Dundee United because, IMO, they did not believe he was scoring goals at a high enough level. Everton did not purchase him on his international record because he failed at international level at every opportunity (please don't mention that overhead kick against Germany, I'm sick hearing about it). They weren't even willing to purchase him on the strength of his performances for Rangers as he'd flattered to deceive. They took him on loan as they recognised that he had potential which, quite unlike David Weir, was unfulfilled. They obviously saw something in his performances to make them shell out £4M.

My point is simply that David Weir would have been less likely to have got a move to Everton had he not proved himself at international level and that Duncan Ferguson conversely, would have been more likely to have got a move to a bigger club than Everton, say Newcastle for example, had he proved himself at international level.

:blink:

IMO, this is nothing to do with David Weir's transfer from Hearts to Everton and how this was helped by his performances for Scotland. However, since you ask...

Everton did not purchase Duncan Ferguson from Dundee United because, IMO, they did not believe he was scoring goals at a high enough level. Everton did not purchase him on his international record because he failed at international level at every opportunity (please don't mention that overhead kick against Germany, I'm sick hearing about it). They weren't even willing to purchase him on the strength of his performances for Rangers as he'd flattered to deceive. They took him on loan as they recognised that he had potential which, quite unlike David Weir, was unfulfilled. They obviously saw something in his performances to make them shell out  £4M.

My point is simply that David Weir would have been less likely to have got a move to Everton had he not proved himself at international level and that Duncan Ferguson conversely, would have been more likely to have got a move to a bigger club than Everton, say Newcastle for example, had he proved himself at international level.

451800[/snapback]

I have no wish to read your posts more than once, thank you very much. Editing them after I've already made another post on the thread means I'm unlikely to see it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree, Weir's a parasite because he only played for his country to move to another club. No-one else would ever have signed him except Everton, in fact he'd still be playing for Hearts just now if he hadn't turned out for his country against his will. :rolleyes:

You've dug yourself into a hole by wishing injury or death on him, and you ain't digging yourself out of it very well. Do you dislike him because he disagreed with Berti, and you're the only person in Scotland who still has a good word to say about the man? :rolleyes:

Guest tanna1985

i'd have duncan ferguson back in the squad anyday, he's the kind of guy we need upfront...

and as for booing davie weir??? ur aff yer nut if u do!!!!

So if Scotland win against Moldova, I'm not supposed to celebrate because Davie Weir was playing??

Don't be so stupid. I sing Flower of Scotland cause it is our national anthem. If our national anthem was the birdie song, I'd sing it instead.

449676[/snapback]

You really aren't getting my point, are you?

I find it hypocritical to sing Flower of Scotland if you are going to boo a Scotland player. I'm not saying don't sing it, if you take that from my post you are being obtuse. Bruce quite rightly is celebrated in this country as a hero for his actions. We should not forget though that he also turned his back on Scotland numerous times as he was getting a better deal else where ie land in the north of England.

It's funny, maybe you will set me straight but I can't recall anyone dying in horrible hand to hand combat because Davie Weir decided not to play in a game of football.

Coming back to represent turds that wish his death shows that he is more of a man and a decent human being than you will ever be. It also shows that he understands infinately more than you do what it means to support your country.

Archived