Engurland's World Cup Chances

an asside-

brazil have never won the world cup in europe have they?

456089[/snapback]

Sweden 1958 with a 17year old Pele - only team to win it outside there own continent (before Japan/S.Korea hosted), European teams won it in Europe and S.Americans in The Americas.

Guest erseofthebank
Sweden 1958 with a 17year old Pele - only team to win it outside there own continent (before Japan/S.Korea hosted), European teams won it in Europe and S.Americans in The Americas.

456171[/snapback]

Brazil won it in North America 1994 :blink:

Guest Pompey

I suppose it depends on what you call the 3 Americas, the football confederations are split into 3 (CONCACAF, COMNEBOL, and the other one whos name escapes me). But I always lump it into one continental landmass called America.

Techincally, Brazil have won in FOUR continents!

North America (America '94)

South America (Chile '62)

Asia (Japan/Rep Korea 2002)

Europe (Sweden '58)

It's Brazil's to throw away methinks.

Also , England are not good enough. Portugal , Brazil , Argentina , Germany , Holland are all better than them. I'm thinking another glorious Quarter Final defeat.

My money is on Germany.. always get good value from them.. England believe too much of their own media hype - got some decent players of course - but not the mega-stars that the English media say..

My money is on Brazil to retain the trophy. Although World Cups can be quite unpredictable. I also think that Argentina, Holland, Portugal, Czech Republic and Germany all have a decent chance as well.

Guest Pompey

I think the age of world cups only being won by teams from the host continent is over (except when in South America), a helluva lot of Americans, Africans and Asians now play in Europe - but few international-class foreigners play in America...

Brazil won it in North America 1994 :blink:

460157[/snapback]

Americas have been lumped as one otherwise you get Brazil and Argentina having won it in North America or Central America depending on where you think Mexico is.

I'd agree that there no longer seems to be an advantage for European teams in Europe but I think that the South Americans still feel the benefit when it is played in other continents - the conditions generally suit there style of play.

Guest erseofthebank
Englund will be knocked oot in the semi by Germany once again (i hope) get in!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

463498[/snapback]

On penalties preferably :thumsup2

Guest real bauscia
On penalties preferably  :thumsup2

480500[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

IMO england has a top class midfield, what they lack is a decent keeper (I still remember ronaldinho's free kick "surprising" seaman in wc 2002) and a high-scoring striker in the front, even I don't know if some new player has been recently discovered by the old sven...

my favourites are as usual brazil on top, germany (only because they play at home), argentina, italy (if the players don't go to germany on holiday), holland, england, france (but it's hard without zizou...). i don't know spain: everytime they show a quite decent play, but history teaches it's not enough. maybe a surprise.

and scotland???

:(:(:(

Guest Geordie_Elvis

In terms of squads I would put Italy, England and Spain in the top 4 alongside Brazil.

If England discover a goalscorer to play alongside Rooney then we will go far, however my outside bet would be Spain, they are long overdue a good performance in a major comp and I feel this could be it...Joaquin, Vicente, Alonso, David Villa, Raul, Torres, Baraja, Garcia, Puyol, Salgado, Casillas...unbelievable quality in every position ;)

edited for shocking spelling!

Guest Geordie_Elvis
My money is on Germany.. always get good value from them.. England believe too much of their own media hype - got some decent players of course - but not the mega-stars that the English media say..

468539[/snapback]

Rooney, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard......not mega-stars?? :blink::huh::lol:

Rooney, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard......not mega-stars??  :blink:  :huh:  :lol:

486646[/snapback]

According to the Inglish media they are... like English goalkeepers are always best in the World, "continentals" always dive (whereas Michael Owen is "professional")

Lampard looks the best of that bunch (but then he is surrounded by best (non-Inglish) players money can buy).

If Lampard, Cole, Gerrard & co were not English - would they be playing for Chelsea / Liverpool - or are they there to make the teams seem English? If Chelsea / Liverpool had all English teams how far would they get in Europe? About as far as England in every World Cup since 1966?

I'd like to see Spain doing well - but they traditionaly are the opposite of Germany - have a stong looking squad that fragments as tournament starts..

Could always be won by a complete unquoted outsider - like when Greece & Denmark winning euro championships

Archived