Future Squad V Austria

ICTRMD

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea Parkin was eligible for us, potentially great news! Its through his parents too so he's not even a dodgy grandparent connection. Really good player and a legend with the Swindon fans. He's expected to leave for at least a Championship side this summer with Swindon seemingly doomed to another year in League 1.

From www.scottishfa.co.uk

Walter Smith has brought two more players into the Scotland Future Squad which travels to Austria next week. Chelsea defender Steven Watt and Swindon Town forward Sam Parkin will travel to the game in Mattersburg next Tuesday.

19-year-old Steven Watt, a former Scotland youth international, made his Chelsea first team debut earlier this season in the FA Cup tie against Sc**thorpe, while Sam Parkin, who qualifies for Scotland through his mother, is a 6ft 2 in forward with a great goalscoring record for Swindon.

I've heard good things about Watt, but although Parkin has been on fire in England, I had no idea he qualified for us. Could be exactly the type of player we've been looking for :D

edit - Parkin has scored 23 goals this season for Swindon in League 1

467700[/snapback]

If Watt got a start for chelsea he must be doing something right. Parkin has good reputation so could be good addition to squad.

If Watt got a start for chelsea he must be doing something right. Parkin has good reputation so could be good addition to squad.

468479[/snapback]

Err... Andy Dowie and Jean Yves-Anis, fellow starlets of the Chelsea reserves... how did they do at Thistle this season? :ph34r:

Lee Wilkie? AGAIN? f**k sake, next to the word bombscare in the dictionary is a big picture of his aghast countenance as he scores yet another improbably athletic own goal.

Lee Wilkie? AGAIN? f**k sake, next to the word bombscare in the dictionary is a big picture of his aghast countenance as he scores yet another improbably athletic own goal.

468688[/snapback]

He's out injured anyway I think. But he has potential - against Holland at Hampden he was simply superb.

Yeah, he has his moments, but he's too inconsistent. Maybe he'll get better with age in that respect but I'm not holding my breath...

Yeah, he has his moments, but he's too inconsistent. Maybe he'll get better with age in that respect but I'm not holding my breath...

469026[/snapback]

Agree with all of that. Deserving of a place in a future squad though, we don't have too many better than him. :(

He's out injured anyway I think. But he has potential - against Holland at Hampden he was simply superb.

468710[/snapback]

He was brilliant in that game. I was shitting myself when they announced the team as i thought they were going to rip us apart but he ended up being a contender for man of the match.

How in the name of fcuk is Jamie McCunnie in the Future Squad?! :angry: He is absolutely awful in the first division, pish for the U21s any time I've seen them, and yet he gets a call-up. :angry:

Mark Brown called up too - probably a fair shout, he's been consistently good for a couple of seasons now, Though I think Soutar is a brilliant keeper and should be in the squad.

I read this in a paper today I think, or maybe yesterday... not on the SFA website yet though... :unsure:

Mark Brown called up too - probably a fair shout, he's been consistently good for a couple of seasons now, Though I think Soutar is a brilliant keeper and should be in the squad.

I read this in a paper today I think, or maybe yesterday... not on the SFA website yet though...  :unsure:

472698[/snapback]

Really, I wonder if Mark will get a game. I'm well pleased for him. Can't find any coverage of this game anywhere. SkySports Score centre isn't even covering it.

Really, I wonder if Mark will get a game. I'm well pleased for him. Can't find any coverage of this game anywhere. SkySports Score centre isn't even covering it.

475890[/snapback]

2-1 loss report

theres the match result. 2-1 loss, not hte best, oh well.

No sign of Mark Wilson at all! Bit of a strange week for him- being nominated for young player of the year and being omitted from the future starting 11!

475999[/snapback]

I think he pulled out injured. (if i remember right)

Lee Miller should have been in that squad.

476058[/snapback]

The reason he wasn't is because Walter didn't want to call up too many players from the same club at this time of season, which is understandable for such a meaningless game. Gets the managers on his side for when he needs it. Berra, Gordon and Webster were all in the squad from Hearts.

The reason he wasn't is because Walter didn't want to call up too many players from the same club at this time of season, which is understandable for such a meaningless game. Gets the managers on his side for when he needs it. Berra, Gordon and Webster were all in the squad from Hearts.

476572[/snapback]

I realise you are just explaining why he wasn't there but hmmm it sounds a poor excuse to me. Webster and Gordon have played for there country already and who on earth is Berra?

Miller is younger than Riordan and O'Connor and has way more first team experience than Craig Beattie. I really think he has the potential to lead the line for us for a very long time.

I realise you are just explaining why he wasn't there but hmmm it sounds a poor excuse to me.  Webster and Gordon have played for there country already and who on earth is Berra? 

Miller is younger than Riordan and O'Connor and has way more first team experience than Craig Beattie.  I really think he has the potential to lead the line for us for a very long time.

476599[/snapback]

Walter didn't want the game to go ahead in the first place AFAIK, it was something Berti had already committed to. Christophe Berra is a decent centre back, don't have a problem with him being in there. McCunnie, on the other hand... :angry:

Thing is, Miller will be playing far more meaningful football for Hearts than in a Scotland B game. I'm sure Wattie knows he's there. Gordon and Marshall were the natural keepers to have in there really. Webster was maybe put in because he missed out on the San Siro and we needed someone who wasn't going to be totally out of his depth.

Beattie needs games, Miller doesn't. And it keeps the managers sweet for games that matter. That's why Marshall was withdrawn, at O'Neill's request. I'm pleased with Wattie's management skills so far. :)

Walter didn't want the game to go ahead in the first place AFAIK, it was something Berti had already committed to. Christophe Berra is a decent centre back, don't have a problem with him being in there. McCunnie, on the other hand...  :angry:

Thing is, Miller will be playing far more meaningful football for Hearts than in a Scotland B game. I'm sure Wattie knows he's there. Gordon and Marshall were the natural keepers to have in there really. Webster was maybe put in because he missed out on the San Siro and we needed someone who wasn't going to be totally out of his depth.

Beattie needs games, Miller doesn't. And it keeps the managers sweet for games that matter. That's why Marshall was withdrawn, at O'Neill's request. I'm pleased with Wattie's management skills so far.  :)

476631[/snapback]

In general I agree with you. However as we all know with Scotland if your face fits then your in. Miller had a bit of trouble in the past with the U21s I think and it would at least be nice to know for sure he is in Smiths thoughts.

Of course Beattie needs games, he's never gonna get them at Celtic though. Is that any reason to play him for Scotland?

Archived