Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

We beat St Mirren 2-0 in a closed door game apparently. 

That's been kept quiet, but would make sense given neither Sutherland brothers were in the U18s cup last night nor Collier in goals.

Edited by 101

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

That's been kept quiet, but would make sense given neither Sutherland brothers were in the U18s cup last night nor Collier in goals.

Just going by the St Mirren thread but it appears it was on Wednesday 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Isn’t Collier the goalkeeping coach? Think he’s a bit old to play in the youth cup!

3 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Isn’t Collier the goalkeeping coach? Think he’s a bit old to play in the youth cup!

Is he? 

He was on the bench for the SPFL trust Trophy game against United, I just assumed he was the same young guy we had on the bench against Inverness the game Shields and Whittaker took, I don't think that keeper has been seen since but I couldn't remember his name but seem to remember him getting plaudits.

Could be totally wrong though.

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is he? 

He was on the bench for the SPFL trust Trophy game against United, I just assumed he was the same young guy we had on the bench against Inverness the game Shields and Whittaker took, I don't think that keeper has been seen since but I couldn't remember his name but seem to remember him getting plaudits.

Could be totally wrong though.

If it's the game where Hughes had taken over but didn't take the team as he'd just joined then Fon Williams started and Mehmet was on the bench.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ah well guess the young guy I was thinking off has been released or is out injured.

It looks like callum archibald is the player you are thinking of, no sign of him still being at the club and he hasn't appeared at anything in in national football since.  Not even sure if he'd be u18 eligable.

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It looks like callum archibald is the player you are thinking of, no sign of him still being at the club and he hasn't appeared at anything in in national football since.  Not even sure if he'd be u18 eligable.

That's the one! 

Ah shame was meant to be decent. 

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ah shame was meant to be decent. 

Nature of pro youth,  you don't get that chance without having a wee bit about you, but even achieving the level to play u18s means the odds are well against you to play at senior level nevermind establish yourself. 

52 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Nature of pro youth,  you don't get that chance without having a wee bit about you, but even achieving the level to play u18s means the odds are well against you to play at senior level nevermind establish yourself. 

Yeh it's pretty ruthless, was saying that to my mate last night, will be lucky if 10 of the 25 or so players that played last night have a decent career. 

That said the pars team who went to the Scottish youth cup final against Celtic more than half that team had reasonable careers probably due to our finances meaning they got a lot of first team exposure regardless of their quality.

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

That said the pars team who went to the Scottish youth cup final against Celtic more than half that team had reasonable careers probably due to our finances meaning they got a lot of first team exposure regardless of their quality.

I think we have different definitions of a decent career 

team that day 

Ryan Goodfellow; Ross Millen, Kerr Young, Lewis Martin, Grant Munro; Scott Mercer (Declan O`Kane 68), Chris Kane (Scott Gray 86), Shaun Byrne, Alex Whittle (Ross Drummond 25); Blair Henderson, Allan Smith.

Bryne and Millen have made a career out of football, both are playing championship in their ‘prime’ years.

Martin may have achieved a sinilar(and I’d argue better) standard he he not been injury prone.   

Young and Henderson has maybe been the best of the rest and doing a good turn at LL/L2 isn’t exactly note worthy

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Yeh it's pretty ruthless, was saying that to my mate last night, will be lucky if 10 of the 25 or so players that played last night have a decent career. 

10 would be a good return compared to most youth teams.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I think we have different definitions of a decent career 

team that day 

Ryan Goodfellow; Ross Millen, Kerr Young, Lewis Martin, Grant Munro; Scott Mercer (Declan O`Kane 68), Chris Kane (Scott Gray 86), Shaun Byrne, Alex Whittle (Ross Drummond 25); Blair Henderson, Allan Smith.

Bryne and Millen have made a career out of football, both are playing championship in their ‘prime’ years.

Martin may have achieved a sinilar(and I’d argue better) standard he he not been injury prone.   

Young and Henderson has maybe been the best of the rest and doing a good turn at LL/L2 isn’t exactly note worthy

Whittle still will be on decent coin down south having jobbed about in and around the national league. 

Even guys like Goodfellow and Smith who never really set the heather alight stayed in the professional leagues until 2022 and in their late 20s.

I think that's decent enough.

18 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

He was still up in time to do his paper round this morning as well! 

Haha! Brilliant, are you his old man or a customer who wasn't expecting a delivery?

5 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

My son does a round out of the same shop. He does Freddie’s round on a Sunday so he can get to training.

Sunday round is weight training if it the same when I did it.