Walking Down The Halbeath Road

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1428528534.493872.jpg

If you have issues with things like that then I think you should be open about it, it's important that grievance's/queries are heard.

I know. But i feel starting stuff on-line is pretty shite tbh. I will seek my own answers and take it from there. Move on , nothing to see here.

Losing Gerry McCabe didn't get much attention but maybe that was a big blow? Queen of the South and now Dundee have not exactly done badly with him on the coaching staff.

I think the mentality shown by JJ and some of the players was all wrong from around the transfer window last year. They didn't seem to be geared up to being a League One side and were always talking about being in the Championship or how we didn't deserve to be in this league. The way Falky, Morris, Husband and probably others were dealt with seemed all wrong. Someone like Stevie Aitken doesn't have public hissy fits about who is/isn't signing for next year. The public talk about certain wages if we are in the Championship/still in League One was just asking for us to be knocked down a peg and Cowden duly obliged.

Thought JJ was out of order with his handling of Jimmy Nicholl and also the BBC at the time of the play-offs last year. Never forgave him for that.

Would love to see Jimmy Nic back at the club.

Unless I'm being thick it will be the 20th anniversary of that title win and of Norrie's death and that top, or one like it, as the official top next year would be a nice touch.

The 1995/1996 season was when I first started watching Dunfermline - I have had a season ticket ever since. What a season that was, the First Division had a number of quality footballers in it during that time.

https://youtu.be/eZqwc0ElX88

Aye we won that league title in 1996. Some league that year. From memory it was us, Dundee United, Dundee, Morton, St Johnstone, Airdrie, St Mirren, Hamilton, Clydebank and Dumbarton.

Dundee United had an insane squad (Pishy Brown Shoes, Christian Daily, Craig Brewster, Maurice Malpas, Owen Coyle, Andy McLaren, Robbie Winters).

We obviously finished top, with Dundee United taking the playoff spot (which they won against Partick Thistle) narrowly ahead of Morton. Great squad we had. I was at almost every home game that season (but sadly no away games since I was 10 when it began and my old man wouldn't take me to away games).

Norrie McCathie died January 96 (the 8th I believe).

The top is tremendous. I'll be getting one.

Edited by DA Baracus

Thanks for making me feel like a granddad! I know a Pars player from that title winning squad and he still winces at the stress of it all - they were delighted to win the league but it was a tough process. I'd seen us win the league with John Watson nutmegging the Meadowbank keeper (sort of - I'd gone for a piss when he scored) and remember those celebrations being more mental than the Paton era ones. They were great but it was more a sense of relief than anything.

There was a lot to deal with. Losing Andy Smith for a good chunk of the season, the car crash and Norrie's death, as well as the media continually questioning the team's bottle (especially after that loss to Hamilton near the end of the season).

What a team though. My favourite by far and I doubt that will ever change.

Was before my time supporting the pars, what's the story with a car crash?

Wasn't it Petrie and a few other crashing en-route to a game?

There were some cracking players in that squad who showed huge character to deal with the off the field stuff and the on-field pressure. Andy Smith is someone the current 'strikers' could learn from. He was all arms and legs but could just tuck away chances. Marc Millar was an absolute star - proper cult hero. He was an unashamed headcase but what a class player - nobody in the current squad comes close to his talent. Allan Moore too was a really top player. Petrie summed that bunch up well - maybe not the most subtle or silky but had a huge will to win and had that ability to show a bit of cool under pressure that the current bunch have lacked.

Craig Robertson deserves huge praise for not only being cracking that season but for stepping up to be captain after Norrie's death. Huge responsibility but he dealt with it.

So many legends in that team. Westy, Andy Tod (son of god), Big Ivo (running down the wing!), Hamish French (my lord!), Stewart Petrie, Alan Moore, Andy Smith and of course Norrie himself. All managed by Bert Paton who can only be described as an utter hero.

The Champions video is exceptionally. The bit where Bert can't speak at Norrie's memorial, with Chance playing in the background, always gets me. I used to have a DVD of it but somehow lost it. Need to get it again.

The 1995/1996 season was when I first started watching Dunfermline - I have had a season ticket ever since. What a season that was, the First Division had a number of quality footballers in it during that time.

https://youtu.be/eZqwc0ElX88

The season prior was my first full season as a Pars fan. 1995/96 is still my favourite season and will probably only be beaten if we win the Scottish Cup. Tinged with sadness obviously, but, my God, the football - especially when you looked at the strength of Dundee United, not to mention Dundee, St Johnstone and a very good Morton side - we played was exceptional.

The video released of that season is absolutely top viewing.

Agreed. The club IMO would make a packet if they re-released it on DVD.

Craig Robertson deserves huge praise for not only being cracking that season but for stepping up to be captain after Norrie's death. Huge responsibility but he dealt with it.

So many legends in that team. Westy, Andy Tod (son of god), Big Ivo (running down the wing!), Hamish French (my lord!), Stewart Petrie, Alan Moore, Andy Smith and of course Norrie himself. All managed by Bert Paton who can only be described as an utter hero.

The Champions video is exceptionally. The bit where Bert can't speak at Norrie's memorial, with Chance playing in the background, always gets me. I used to have a DVD of it but somehow lost it. Need to get it again.

The Champions video as mentioned is superb. So many great games and memories from it - my only disappointment is there was no footage of the midweek 3-2 win over St Johnstone for John Clark's thunderbolt. Never mind, here's us pumping United 3-0 instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hne0tYnN2Fk

That team is full of players who were not only heroes, but were, and still are, legends to me. Petrie, Smith, French, Moore, Tod, Westwater....endless. But well said RE Craig Robertson - the way he led that squad after Norrie's death was exceptional.

Wasn't it Petrie and a few other crashing en-route to a game?

There were some cracking players in that squad who showed huge character to deal with the off the field stuff and the on-field pressure. Andy Smith is someone the current 'strikers' could learn from. He was all arms and legs but could just tuck away chances. Marc Millar was an absolute star - proper cult hero. He was an unashamed headcase but what a class player - nobody in the current squad comes close to his talent. Allan Moore too was a really top player. Petrie summed that bunch up well - maybe not the most subtle or silky but had a huge will to win and had that ability to show a bit of cool under pressure that the current bunch have lacked.

Aye, I'm sure Petrie and Marc Millar were both involved in the crash? And I'm certain it came in the midst of us playing 6 games in 18 days too?

An amazing season. Will never forget the Clydebank game for as long as I live, and was it against St Mirren (midweek I'm certain?) that a fan threw a scarf to the pitch behind the toon end to be tied to the goal, which ended in this?

Scarves.jpg

Here's another couple of photos from that season to cheer us up a bit :)

PenaltyWallpaper2.jpg

champions.jpg