Guest bernardblack
Aleister Black vs Velveteen Dream delivered big style after a superb build. Black already on his way to being a star but that's Velveteen Dream on the map.

Velveteen is only 22 as well.....big future ahead of him

Just got finished watching it, and another very, very good show.  Only real low point was the opener, usually don't mind these hulking up, no selling monsters, but it just seemed a bit wrong in that one with Sullivan not really going down for anything.   No idea what his finisher is, but did he botch it slightly?  Looked like he stopped just short of dropping Ohno right on his head.

From there it was hit after hit.  Black/Dream was brilliant, and the perfect example of them building a story from PPV to PPV and having it cap off without needing to add a hook for the next show.  A brilliant match, a nice ending, and both of them are surely destined for the top of NXT.

Women's match was pretty good.  Peyton Royce looked better than I thought she was, but a bit surprised they didn't really showcase Sane.  Thought it was pretty much a given she was going to take it, but I guess Moon deserves it.  Interesting to see where they go from here, as they can call on a huge number of new recruits into the division after the Classic.

The title match was good, but I didn't really get into it as much as some.  I guess it was always painted as a co-main event at best, which kind of took away from the impact of it, but a bit surprised to see McIntyre drop the title already.  What next for him?  Are they fast-tracking him to the main roster again?  Maybe a rematch on NXT TV, as I'm not sure it's worth going through another program for 2 months just to have him lose again.  

Wargames...wow.  I'll be honest, although I know of the concept, I haven't seen a single "classic" version of the Wargames match, so although people have been saying that it isn't the same, I was going into it pretty fresh.  I also really enjoy gimmick matches.   Because of that, I loved this.  Absolute carnage from pretty much the moment all 9 were in the ring(s).  Not really a fan of them taking 11 minutes for the match to really kick up, but as soon as that happened those 9 men put absolutely everything on the line to deliver a beautiful disaster of a match.  Dain looked really good, good to see him actually getting something to do rather than just accompanying Sanity to the ring.  What happened to Wolfe to bust him open that badly?  Looked to be around the time of the table spot, and he didn't rejoin for a long time after that.  Not sure it was entirely selling at the end either as the blood poured from his head down his arms.

This was one time where NXT had less hype or potential than the main show.  If SS delivers on its promise, then this will have been a wonderful weekend for WWE.

48 minutes ago, forameus said:

The title match was good, but I didn't really get into it as much as some.  I guess it was always painted as a co-main event at best, which kind of took away from the impact of it, but a bit surprised to see McIntyre drop the title already.  What next for him?  Are they fast-tracking him to the main roster again?  Maybe a rematch on NXT TV, as I'm not sure it's worth going through another program for 2 months just to have him lose again.  

Bad news for McIntyre - apparently he fucked his arm at the finish and will be out for a long while. Shame for him as he had huge momentum going and the match was ace.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

What happened to Wolfe to bust him open that badly?  Looked to be around the time of the table spot, and he didn't rejoin for a long time after that.  Not sure it was entirely selling at the end either as the blood poured from his head down his arms.

From what it looks like, the back of his head caught the edge of the furthest table. Props to him for carrying on after getting rudimentary treatment in the other ring. The amount of blood on the table when it was briefly in shot was grim

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Huge, huge fan of the Dream. Would mark out for him and Black as a tag team if there was another Dusty Classic.

The thought of them as a phenomenal odd couple team popped into my head as well. Could be amazing. Thought it was a top show. Damo was booked as an absolute beast!!

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Huge, huge fan of the Dream. Would mark out for him and Black as a tag team if there was another Dusty Classic.

I was dubious of him at first. But he's won me over. Mind boggling to think he's only 22 as well. Plenty time for improvement 

I was dubious of him at first. But he's won me over. Mind boggling to think he's only 22 as well. Plenty time for improvement 

I remember reading a while back about a blatant Prince knock off but he's managed to make it more than work.

He was a whiny wee bitch in Tough Enough and his short run as Patrick Clarke (his real name) in NXT was way too soon. It did have the beginnings of his current character though and he's developed it really well. He's also in exceptional shape and has put on some size

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if people care too much about spoilers from tapings (considering it's been spoiled elsewhere already) but tagging them anyway...

So December's shows appear to have been taped, perhaps enough to take them up to the Rumble Takeover.  Interesting paths they're taking too.  They've had a number of matches to build up a Fatal 4-Way for the NXT title, and that ended up with Johnny Gargano, Aleister Black, Killian Dain and Lars Sullivan.  Gargano won it after Black was taken out by the Undisputed era (Black beat Cole to qualify).  Interesting that they're going with Gargano vs Almas...are we going to see Ciampa come back?  They've said he'll be out to March, but that's WWE saying it, and they've been known to overplay it before.  If he can walk, he can still cost Gargano the win and set up an absolutely enormous match for the WM takeover in April.  Which will be just delicious.

Undisputed Era/ReDragon also won the tag belts from Sanity, which makes it surprising that they're not going for Cole to win the title.  Unless there's more tapings to come before Takeover, and Cole gets inserted that way.  Unlikely given it's Gargano, so not sure where Cole goes from there.  Presumably he's going to face Black, with one of those going on to be the next challenger for the title.

Ember Moon retained her title against some jobber, Sane came out to challenge her, but granite-faced Baezsler choked her out.  So could be another multi-woman match at the next show between Sane/Baezsler/Moon and one other.  Should be solid enough.

So if it goes the way it looks by the tapings, we're looking at

Gargano vs Almas
Black vs Cole
Baezsler vs Moon (vs Sane vs someone)
Undisputed Era vs Sanity

Another very good show by the looks of it.  

12 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Nxt might be well worth a watch this week coming. Being shown live on USA network for the first time so I’d imagine they’ve recorded a decent episode for it.

Wait, am I being thick here? How can it be live if it's recorded?

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute lock that Ciampa is coming back for Takeover now surely.  Probably not in any official capacity, and I doubt he's quite healed, but he'll be able to do enough to cost him the match, and then we're going on to what will surely be an absolutely tremendous match Wrestlemania weekend.