MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I thought Pettis looked pretty good in his featherweight debut. And the three losses before that were against the elite of the elite in the division above. Max is great and I am by no means belittling his achievements and recent run but I think his recent record flatters to deceive a little bit. We'll see, I guess. I suppose it's not as if I've pointed out a good value underdog in this thread many times before!

I thought Pettis looked pretty good in his featherweight debut. And the three losses before that were against the elite of the elite in the division above. Max is great and I am by no means belittling his achievements and recent run but I think his recent record flatters to deceive a little bit. We'll see, I guess. I suppose it's not as if I've pointed out a good value underdog in this thread many times before!

Flatters to deceive in what way? You look at the names he's beaten and they're tough as f**k guys. I can understand why some fancy Pettis but for me he isn't going to achieve anymore at FW than LW. His time at the very top for me is gone.

11 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Flatters to deceive in what way? You look at the names he's beaten and they're tough as f**k guys. I can understand why some fancy Pettis but for me he isn't going to achieve anymore at FW than LW. His time at the very top for me is gone.

Well you've gotta look at the names he's beaten but also the way he's beaten them. He's fought one elite fighter (who tore his ACL in the second round)  in his life and got destroyed 30-27, 30-27 and 30-26. Yes, it was a good while ago but I happen to believe he's the 4th best fighter in the division fighting the 3rd best fighter in the division. 

I think this will be a close fight and to ammend my previous comment I'd say I am 60-70% sure of Pettis' victory as opposed to the 70-80% I previously said. The bookies think the opposite and therein lies the value of taking a punt - in my opinion.

As for Max going on to win the 'real' belt? Aldo would embarrass him. That would be a 50-45 scorecard if ever there was one.

Admittedly he hasn't fought the Aldos and Edgars of this world outside of McGregor, but he still went the three rounds with Conor at FW, a division he spent knocking everyone out including Aldo. Yes yes he tore his ACL but Holloway also made claims to being injured. This was also a very raw Holloway. He has come on leaps and bounds. Since then he's comfortably beaten Llamas, Swanson and Stephens.

I reckon he'd give Aldo a good fight and probably clinch the win.There's something impressive about Holloway in that he excels in all areas and his boxing in particular is sublime. On top of that he's still only 25.

Holloway was raw - so was McG. But, aye, a lot can happen in three years (I think?) in terms of development etc. I missed the Stephens fight so I'm not sure how he looked in that one... this conversation has given me the impetus to go find a totally legal site that has it uploaded somewhere though.

So it's fair to say you think Holloway is the best FW in the world? It's a legitimate argument and I'm not scoffing at it at all, I just vehemently disagree. I also don't think he excels everywhere... I think Aldo and Pettis are far better strikers and his wrestling isn't even on the same planet as Edgar. MMA-math and all that but for you does Holloway beat RDA, Alvarez and Barboza? Because those are the three measuring sticks people are using against Pettis. 

I don't think you can say McGregor was raw. He's improved no doubt but he was absolutely murking c***s in Cage Warriors and just continued where he left off when joining the UFC. He was already a pretty developed monster by that point of time. His ko of Buschinger is very similar to the one used to ko Aldo. I didn't call it at the time but a friend of mine confidently said McGregor would be a UFC champ just after signing and he sure as f**k wasn't wrong.

I think Holloway Is one of the best featherweights. The best? Quite possibly and the next twelve months will confirm if he is or isn't. I get what you're saying with Pettis's losses and think its sometimes a touch unfair, but the Pettis of before didn't look like he could be beaten quite so easily. Also going by MMA basic match both Alvarez and RDA have been humbled in the last twelve months. What does that then say about Pettis? You have absolutely every right to bring this back up if Pettis wins but I just don't see it.

They were both 1 or 2 fights into their UFC careers and it's one thing to be winning easy in smaller promotions, but when they entered the big league I think it's pretty fair to say both were young, raw talents.

I also think Holloway is one of the best FWs - 4th best in fact! I have no intention on bringing anything back up regardless of the result - it's a sport in which anything can happen and that happens to be the reason why it's quite profitable to have a bet on it. As a Rangers fan on this website you don't often get a chance to have a reasonable conversation about the sports you care about or athletes you follow so it's good to have a back and forth and listen to someone else's reasonable opinion without stupid bullshit.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Holloway won, I just think Pettis has the better chance and regardless of the result I think there's value in betting on him.

True but McGregor by point the he left Cage Warriors was more or less the much of the fighter we see now. Like I said he has developed, but Holloway has come on leaps and bounds since.

Ha I would not hold it against you. It is wild at times but there's just something that Holloway has which convinces me he's got what it takes to go that bit further. Plus he isn't having to push through an absolutely horrific weight cut like Pettis.

Anthony Pettis the underdog at 13/8 on bet365? I'm about 70-80% sure he's gonna win that fight.

Free money please, thanks. 

Na, Pettis has looked poor for a while now, he was losing to Oliviera before he got the guillotine aswell.
I'm sure you've been spot on with a few others though but just can't see Holloway getting beat, 5 rounds suits him more aswell. I'll go for a 50-45 but wouldn't be surprised with a late stoppage.

UFC Albany tonight!
Some decent fights, heavyweight main and co-main where it looks like they're setting Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannu up for a win each. Most interested in seeing Lando Vanatta after that performance against Ferguson.

Pettis misses weight, I was going to call it aswell. Fucking eating steaks and shit on embedded the other day.

No idea what happens now, probably still fight but for no belt. Even more convinced Holloway will destroy him now.

They'll keep it a fake belt fight. They're banking on it to get the ppv numbers. He looks bloody awful though.

e21bd6fc2d56b3047c644ea3b041913c.jpg

They can't fight for a belt if they don't make weight. Holloway probably shouldn't even take the fight now (he will and I hope he does) as if he gets beat what the f**k happens next?! Pettis title shot...no chance and wouldn't be able to give it to Holloway after a loss. Edgar Aldo 3, no thanks.

They can't fight for a belt if they don't make weight. Holloway probably shouldn't even take the fight now (he will and I hope he does) as if he gets beat what the f**k happens next?! Pettis title shot...no chance and wouldn't be able to give it to Holloway after a loss. Edgar Aldo 3, no thanks.

Could be wrong, but pretty sure Hendricks missed weight when beat Lawler for the belt.