MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

If I stay up till 5am for that I'm going to be absolutely raging. Would also go against pretty much every claim he's made about Jones.

I think Cornier handles Jones in tbe grappling department. If that's what it becomes then we have a new champion. I see it as DC's best way to the title. Grapple the f**k out of Jones and rough him up on the mat. If Gustafsson can takes Jones doen then I don't see Cormier having much trouble at all getting him down.

To me, it's DC's best route to a victory and exactly what I would do in his position.

Jones will not be an easy man to keep down, so Cormier is going to have a tough time keeping him down. If anyone can do it though, it's Cormier. I still think Jones would get the advantage there, and I think he's a more dangerous fighter there.

Cormier is arguably the best wrestler in the UFC, however Jones is an absolute monster of a man and the stronger of the two. As DomDom says, expecting Cormier to hold him down and smother him (despite being heavier) will be tough I reckon.

It's not even arguable. DC IS the best wrestler in MMA. I will call it. He will 100% get Jones down, but as Dom points out, keeping him there is where it will be decided.

Jones is too lanky and long on the feet for Cormier and I see DC having trouble getting shots off.

It's not just the keeping him there. It's when Jones makes his move, he can be absolutely lethal on the ground, and might well finish it there if given the slightest opening, which he's capable of making himself.

I think Jones is too dangerous either way, and no matter where the fight goes, he'll finish Cormier. Cormier certainly won't shitfest it, and I'd imagine if he DOES win, it'd be a tough fought and well earned one.

Can't see Jones finishing Cormier on the ground to be honest or in the clinch. Is Jones can keep Cormier off him he wins I reckon.

The thing is Jones likes his push kicks and front leg side kicks, that opens up opportunities for DC. It'll be interesting to see if 1) Jones uses them and risks DC catching one and taking him down and 2) If DC can capitilise on them.

I'm buzzing for this one.

My heart says DC but my head tells me Jones.

After all the media circus and sniping at each other they better absolutely go hell and leather at each other. However after Shuggie predicting a shitfest (which I stupidly never considered) I've now got the fear a little bit. I can't see Cormier trying to get into a striking match with Jones as the there will probably only be one winner.

Edited by mrcat1990

Fighter of the year 2014 - Robbie Lawler

Female fighter of the year 2014 - Ronda Rousey

European fighter of the year 2014 - Mamed Khalidov

Best fight of the year 2014 - Hendricks vs Lawler II

Worst fight of the year 2014 - Sanchez vs Pearson (for the decision)

Round of the year 2014 - Hunt vs Bigfoot R5

KO of the year 2014 - Dong Hyun Kim vs John Hathaway

Submission of the year 2014 - Luke Rockhold inverted triangle and kimura vs Tim Boetsch

Comeback of the year 2014 - Cathal Pendred vs Mike King

Breakthrough fighter of 2014 - Jack Hermansson

Upset of the year - TJ Dillashaw defeat Renan Barao.

One to watch in 2015 - Mikhail Mokhnatkin

Three bold predictions for 2015 - 1. Jones vs Cormier is FOTY contender 2. Conor McGregor finishes Jose Aldo 3. No UFC title changes in 2015 outwith feather.

Really hard to predict how Jones v Cormier is going to go. Until we see the two of them exchanging a few times and at close quarters a few times, it's impossible to know how good each of their wrestling and striking really is relative to each others' ability to react.

I can't see Jones being finished though, so for me it's either Cormier by a grindfest decision, Jones by a ranged striking decision, or Jones by a stoppage.

Edited by banana

DC looked dangerous in the 2nd but apart from that Jones didn't look troubled at all.

Can't agree with you on that one. First three rounds Cormier gave Jones a war but only clearly came out on top in the second. Fourth round Jones dominated and used fifth to grind out win. At points Jones looked thrown off a bit.