Scotland Future Squad To Face Germany

Bryan

OCTOBER 2003 - NEWS STORY

FASCINATING CHALLENGE FOR FUTURE SQUAD

20 October 2003

Berti Vogts has named his provisional Scotland Future team to face Germany at Pittodrie on Tuesday (7.30 pm) and says it is "not a bad team".

Despite numerous forced changes with the withdrawal of Steven Caldwell, Peter Canero, Stephen Hughes, Kevin McNaughton, Stephen Pearson, Jamie Smith and James McFadden, the coach has put together an attractive group of young players who can show him what they can offer at international level.

Scotland will start with Neil Alexander or Derek Stillie in goal, with a back four of Russell Anderson, Lee Wilkie, Jamie McAllister and Robbie Stockdale, a midfield of Brian Kerr, Ian Murray, Barry Nicholson and Tom McManus, with Andy Gray and either Paul Gallagher or Gary O`Connor up front.

Also available for selection from the bench are Derek Soutar, Scott Wilson, Philip McGuire, Jon Paul McGovern and Burton O`Brien.

Tuesday's match, which starts at 7.30 pm, offers a useful opportunity for the young squad to show the manager what they can offer to the Scotland set-up, and they will certainly find a stiff challenge from the German squad which arrived today in Aberdeen with a very good selection of Bundesliga players. Admission costs £10 and £5, with children at £2, and tickets can be bought in advance from the Pittodrie ticket office or on the night.

Changes for Future Squad

Lee Wilkie has been called up by Berti Vogts

Seven players have withdrawn from the Scotland Future Squad, which faces Germany at Pittodrie on Tuesday.

Steven Caldwell, Peter Canero, Stephen Hughes, Kevin McNaughton and Jamie Smith all told national coach Berti Vogts they could not make the match at the weekend.

And on Monday James McFadden and Stephen Pearson also withdrew.

Dundee's Lee Wilkie, who has won nine full international caps, is drafted in as are fellow defenders Jamie McAllister from Livingston and Aberdeen's Phil McGuire.

Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd is also called up, along with Tom McManus, who has spent most of the season on Hibs' substitute bench.

And Livingston duo Jon Paul McGovern and Burton O'Brien were given late calls.

While Vogts admits he has the basis of the squad clear in his mind for the forthcoming Euro 2004 play-off with Holland, he is leaving the door open for anyone who impresses at Pittodrie to make the step up to the full squad.

"Playing with the Future team is an important experience for my players because it teaches them things about international football that playing for a club can't," said Vogts.

"International football is a different world from the club game and you can only learn about it through playing matches.

"I'm hoping for a clear signal from some of my players because this is the last chance for them to win a place in the squad for the games against Holland.

"I want someone to say to me 'I'm here and ready to play for Scotland'.

"I am looking at the defenders especially because we have some guys on yellow cards and if they pick up any more in the first game we may have to make changes for the trip to Holland."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scotland Future Squad:

Goalkeepers: Neil Alexander (Cardiff City), Derek Stillie (Dunfermline), Derek Soutar (Dundee). Defenders: Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Jamie McAllister (Livingston), Lee Wilkie (Dundee), Philip McGuire (Aberdeen), Robbie Stockdale (Middlesbrough), Scott Wilson (Dunfermline). Midfielders: Brian Kerr (Newcastle), Ian Murray (Hibernian), Barry Nicholson (Dunfermline). Strikers: Andy Gray (Bradford), Garry O'Connor (Hibernian), Kris Boyd (Kilmarnock), Tom McManus (Hibernian). Paul Gallagher (Blackburn Rovers).

Archived