NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

They definitely had the option not to sign him for 17m per year for 7 years.

Meh, numbers. It will be more like a front-loaded deal for 2-3 years where they can cut him easily after that.

Better the devil you know. McCown isn't going to take the team to the next level and drafting a QB in the 1st round seems like a lottery these days. I'd expect them to draft one at some point in hopes that he's the next Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.

Apparently more than 17 mil a year deal that Stafford got.

I'd rather have Aaron Rodgers 5 yr 110 million than 7 years of jay cutler on 17mil!

He's better than Stafford these days and I'm sure given the chance any team would take Rodgers for any money. I dont really understand the Cutler hate, I'd say he's top half compared to the other starters this year. There's nobody better available as a backup or in free agency anyway and like GS says rookies are lottery tickets.

Meh, numbers. It will be more like a front-loaded deal for 2-3 years where they can cut him easily after that. 

Better the devil you know. McCown isn't going to take the team to the next level and drafting a QB in the 1st round seems like a lottery these days. I'd expect them to draft one at some point in hopes that he's the next Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.

I get what your saying but cutler won't take them to that next level either.(IMO)

So why not pay the smaller contract for mccown, get reinforcements in other areas and see how it goes.

Could the bears end up like the ravens where then need to let decent players go due to signing the QB on a large deal(I know flacco is better than cutler).

I get what your saying but cutler won't take them to that next level either.(IMO)

So why not pay the smaller contract for mccown, get reinforcements in other areas and see how it goes.

Could the bears end up like the ravens where then need to let decent players go due to signing the QB on a large deal(I know flacco is better than cutler).

That's a debate for all NFL teams. That's why I'm a believer of the theory that you should draft a QB every year. If you hit on one in the 6th round on minimum wages, you can spend money elsewhere - a luxury that teams like the Lions and Giants don't have.

Seattle have done it and brought in high ticket free agents like Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril as well as Percy Harvin (who hasn't paid off yet).They are in a championship window before Wilson's contract extension.

Flacco is awful, he got his mega bucks contract through one great game. He really offers nothing special compared to other guys on the go just now, he's not super accurate, he cant hit his speedster weapons on a deep pass, he doesnt read coverage particularly well, he cant extend the play with good movement and he's certainly not an attacking runner. So what exactly is it that I'm missing that makes him better than Cutler?

Flacco is awful, he got his mega bucks contract through one great game. He really offers nothing special compared to other guys on the go just now, he's not super accurate, he cant hit his speedster weapons on a deep pass, he doesnt read coverage particularly well, he cant extend the play with good movement and he's certainly not an attacking runner. So what exactly is it that I'm missing that makes him better than Cutler?

He got the contract based on his performances throughout last years playoffs. Apart from that though - I 100% agree with your comments.

I suppose to me now it's that flacco can win you a Super Bowl whereas I don't think cutler can, even if you take into account all the deficiencies listed.

Flacco can carry his team through the playoffs, not so sure cutler could if they got there.

That's a debate for all NFL teams. That's why I'm a believer of the theory that you should draft a QB every year. If you hit on one in the 6th round on minimum wages, you can spend money elsewhere - a luxury that teams like the Lions and Giants don't have.

Seattle have done it and brought in high ticket free agents like Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril as well as Percy Harvin (who hasn't paid off yet).They are in a championship window before Wilson's contract extension.

Good point, Wilson salary is paltry in comparison, be interesting to see how things play out in Seattle when the lad needs paid.

I suppose to me now it's that flacco can win you a Super Bowl whereas I don't think cutler can, even if you take into account all the deficiencies listed.

Flacco can carry his team through the playoffs, not so sure cutler could if they got there.

Ray Lewis, Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs got them to the playoffs. Put Cutler in that Ravens team from last year and he couldve won it. Infact I reckon if you put Cutler in the current Ravens team he could have made the playoffs, much better fit for Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones than underpowered Flacco.

Ray Lewis, Ray Rice and Terrell Suggs got them to the playoffs. Put Cutler in that Ravens team from last year and he couldve won it. Infact I reckon if you put Cutler in the current Ravens team he could have made the playoffs, much better fit for Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones than underpowered Flacco.

It's not like cutler never had pretty good defence in the past few years on Chicago.

So you can say the ravens D was a large part, but flacco still had to get it done at the other end.

Not something cutler could do IMO.

And cutler probably had better offensive weapons this year than flacco and didnt come close to the playoffs either. (No sure how defense ranked)

Apologies if this was previously mentioned but how shit must it have been to support the Texans this year. After 2 games they were 2-0 and looking pretty then they lose 14 on the trot to finish 2-14! :blink:

It's not like cutler never had pretty good defence in the past few years on Chicago.

So you can say the ravens D was a large part, but flacco still had to get it done at the other end.

Not something cutler could do IMO.

And cutler probably had better offensive weapons this year than flacco and didnt come close to the playoffs either. (No sure how defense ranked)

Pretty sure the Bears D was one of the worst in the league this season. Certainly worst vs the run and I'd guess bottom 5 vs pass, thats why they lost games. Bear in mind cutler missed half the year through injury too.

My predictions I'll go:

Eagles to win, Saints to cover the spread

49ers to win, Packers cover the spread

Colts to win

Bengals to win and beat the spread

Pretty sure the Bears D was one of the worst in the league this season. Certainly worst vs the run and I'd guess bottom 5 vs pass, thats why they lost games. Bear in mind cutler missed half the year through injury too.

My predictions I'll go:

Eagles to win, Saints to cover the spread

49ers to win, Packers cover the spread

Colts to win

Bengals to win and beat the spread

It was indeed one of the worst in the league, last year it was top 5 or so and ranked much higher than ravens and cutler didn't do much last year.

Saints/packers/chiefs and chargers.