Battlefield 4

Mr Hahn

My nephew came over for New years last night and brought his Xbox with him and BF4 (I got a copy just need a HDD for my 4gb Xbox slim). Played a good few hours of it so first impressions.

1. Superb game play and looks pretty decent, bit glitchy textures in places but nothing game breaking. 2. Land vechiles are fun and easy to drive, jets I found impossible, helis less than impossible but still difficult! Guess it'll take some practice to get the hang of flying. 3. Menus for changing load out felt a bit fiddly, again just need to get used to it. 4. Hurry up payday next week so I can play again!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm slowly getting a bit more into it. Would agree AK that changing the load out is fiddly, and can only be done in game which is very annoying.

Helicopters and jets have always been difficult in BF world, but I can't help feeling they've nerfed all of the vehicles since BF3. That seems a shame as the vehicles are largely what makes BF unique. I know it can get annoying when one fantastic pilot is dominating the map, but the way to solve that is to make more AA weaponry available (or make jets faster so no use against infantry) not to kill any sense of realism.

I'm slowly getting a bit more into it. Would agree AK that changing the load out is fiddly, and can only be done in game which is very annoying.

Helicopters and jets have always been difficult in BF world, but I can't help feeling they've nerfed all of the vehicles since BF3. That seems a shame as the vehicles are largely what makes BF unique. I know it can get annoying when one fantastic pilot is dominating the map, but the way to solve that is to make more AA weaponry available (or make jets faster so no use against infantry) not to kill any sense of realism.

Not had a chance to play this but can you not use smartglass to change loadouts? I know it shiws the multiplayer minimap.

I think with the games going on for a fair while, changing load out mid-game isn't too bad but yeah it would be better to have the option pre-game.

I certainly didn't find flight difficult in BF1942 but that was on P.C. I was playing on my small non-hd telly in the bedroom, I reckon with a bigger screen I'd do better.

I'm not aware of a fix as yet. I believe the issue for most people is moving between campaign and multiplayer. If you delete your player profile as before, restart the campaign and complete it before moving to multiplayer.Not an ideal solution, but the best if you really want to complete the campaign.

Not been on this thread since posting. I went on BF last night and my progress had saved fine, though I hadn't played online since I was last on. I think I'll just complete the campaign before I go back to the multiplayer, thanks for the info.

Not been on this thread since posting. I went on BF last night and my progress had saved fine, though I hadn't played online since I was last on. I think I'll just complete the campaign before I go back to the multiplayer, thanks for the info.

Campaign is nothing but eye candy. It really is cringeworthy at times though, the story is complete bullshit and the dialogue is painful. The guns you get for doing it are useful though.

The biggest piece of nonsense is that you have to do the last mission 3 times to get all the unlocks. Nightmare.

Campaign is nothing but eye candy. It really is cringeworthy at times though, the story is complete bullshit and the dialogue is painful. The guns you get for doing it are useful though.

The biggest piece of nonsense is that you have to do the last mission 3 times to get all the unlocks. Nightmare.

What multiplayer unlocks do you get if you play the campaign?

I use my 50% boost and within minutes it's crashed. I restart and my save profile is corrupted again, losing my 50% and making me change all my settings again.

Getting really fucked off with it now. Still not getting games on china rising either.

Not that this excuses that kind of bullshit but I've found those boosts pretty much grow on trees. I'm almost accumulating them faster than I can spend them.

After loving BF3 I decided to get this for Christmas, but have only been able to spend 20-30 mins playing it so far.

I liked being able to select the map in BF3 I miss that as BF4 continually force me to play the islands map which I dislike.

After loving BF3 I decided to get this for Christmas, but have only been able to spend 20-30 mins playing it so far.

I liked being able to select the map in BF3 I miss that as BF4 continually force me to play the islands map which I dislike.

Overall i felt the maps were pretty poor in this game.

Some of the maps are clearly suited for different game modes. Paracel Storm for Obliteration is quality however it's horrible for rush. On the other hand though Golmud Railway is amazing for rush but I find pretty shit for game modes like conquest. On the whole I'm happy with the maps.

Sniping is actually better on this than previous versions. What are you finding that's causing you problems? I mostly go recon these days.

Just don't seem able to get to grips with the entry sniper. More practice is needed I suppose.

The CLR or whatever it is? The target-marker infra red thing you get as equipment is great for helping you get practice (left on the d-pad if you are using default recon kit. Put yourself up a hill or somewhere secluded and press left then look through it as enemies will show up white on the IR. It's perfect for picking out targets or groups or enemies for sniping.

The test range is actually a good idea to see how bullet drop works at distance. I rarely ever change the zero on the recon rifles (down on the d pad), I just aim higher to compensate for the drop. If you are sniping an area where you expect enemies to appear and it's a bit of a distance away, fire a shot at a flat surface where you are aiming and use the bullet hole as a marker for how much drop your shots will have and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for that I'll give it a try. Does the starting sniper have a way to zero the distance? Must be pressing the wrong thing. :blink:

I've decided to get back into this game after getting far too frustrated with it coming from BF3 and with some more patches on it.

It's much better although Dawnbreaker still causes so much freezing (on 360) it is a worthless map. I think I've had about 2 games where any of my friends or me haven't frozen up. Completely shite.

Some of the maps are quite good, Operation Locker though is a very tough map for Obliteration and some of the maps are so big with the limited number of 360 players they feel empty (Golumud Railway). I really like Hainan Resort and Paracel Storm.

Yeah, if you look at the bottom middle of your hud you will see the dpad for your equipment etc showing 0m. if you press down on the dpad you will see the 0m change to 200m. You can zero it up to 1000m. I tend not to use it that much unless I'm well away from the action and using the 40x scope and a bi-pod with the SRR rifle. When you are close to the action it can cause a few problems if an enemy suddenly comes into view at a closer distance as you either have to keep pressing down to go back to 0m or take the shot and compensate for the bullet going higher than it would normally.

It's all personal preference though. You'll get used to it with practice, you will get rounds of very low scoring in the beginning though. Once you get the straight pull bolt you will find things easier. I'd recommend just using the default sniper all the time as the ones you unlock are much the same until you get to the last few.

Ha, knew I must have missed the 0 on the default sniper. I take it I unlock attachments via scoring points with the weapon?

You unlock attachments with kills, weapons by scoring points with that class of weapon and equipment through points.

Best way to unlock attachments for guns is to play domination or TDM and rack up the kills. Granted that might not be easy with the sniper until you are proficient with it though.

Cool, cheers for the help. Might play more assault till I learn the maps.

Archived