DENNY HIBERNIAN

PRICEY

During a recent conversation,the name of Denny Hibs came up.Afterwards it got wondering who were Denny Hibs?.I knew a lot of the well known stuff,Scottish winners 1931,runners up another twice,Matt Busby,Jimmy McMullan etc.Since then Ive started doing a bit of research mainly through the excellant Brian McColl site and the Falkirk Herald archives.So Im sending a plea for any info,scores or stories about the Hibs.No matter how trivial,let me know!.

As a footnote,on this day 1931...........

Scottish Junior cup final at Tynecastle Park

Denny Hibernian 1 Burnbank 0

scorer McDonagh att 10,000 gate receipts £300

Mon the Hibs!!!!

A piece I dug for another site a while back:

Dunipace famously gave Celtic Davie Adams, Denny Athletic gave them Willie Loney (the obliterator).

But most famously of all Denny Hibernian produced a young fella called Matt Busby:

According to Old Trafford folklore, when the doctor placed her new-born son into Nellie Busby's arms in the family's cramped pitman's cottage, he ran his eyes over the babe's thrashing, stocky legs and prophesised: "A footballer has come into this house this day." (The date, incidentally, was May 26, 1909 and come that day in 1999 Manchester United would celebrate the 90th anniversary of Matt Busby's birth by completing a historic treble with victory over Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in Barcelona.)

The five Busbys lived crammed into two small rooms - kitchen and bedroom/living-room - there was a single outside tap to wash off the coal dust and a shared lavatory a 75-yard sprint away. But as devoted Roman Catholics they had their church for comfort, one another for love and, in young Matt's case, his football for fun as he progressed from the village team to Alpine Villa (with whom he collected a Scottish Under-18 Cup winner's medal) before signing for crack junior side, Denny Hibs.

Busby's father was to be killed by a German sniper in the first world war, leaving Busby without a father at a young age; he also lost three uncles to the same war. Busby would often accompany his father down the coal pits but always had, from a very young age, an aspiration to become a footballer. As a teenager, Busby's mother applied for a visa to move to the USA, a move which at the time would have ruined any chance of Busby becoming a professional football player. Luckily, there was a nine month wait for a Visa and during that time Busby found himself playing part time football for a team called Denny Hibs. It took just a few games for Denny Hibs before English second division side Manchester City snapped him up, meaning that Busby could pursue his dream.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/8138/37701925387793160061449.jpg

Back ,W Coyle, A Dunion, H Dunigan, T Garner, J Mcneil, C Mcmahon, A Crossley, P Mcbride, J Odonnell, M Ryan,

Middle, B Kelly, J Mcnally, H Grant, J Grant, O Mcmahon, J Mcmullen, J Mcateer, J O'hanlon, P Ryan, F Hannon,

Front, M Mckenna, A Mcneil, Father Obrien, J Dunnigan, Father Maguire, O Dunnigan.

Back ,W Coyle, A Dunion, H Dunigan, T Garner, J Mcneil, C Mcmahon, A Crossley, P Mcbride, J Odonnell, M Ryan,

Middle, B Kelly, J Mcnally, H Grant, J Grant, O Mcmahon, J Mcmullen, J Mcateer, J O'hanlon, P Ryan, F Hannon,

Front, M Mckenna, A Mcneil, Father Obrien, J Dunnigan, Father Maguire, O Dunnigan.

What about Father Jack and Father Dougal?

Feck! Drink! Girls!

one of the players in the middle rows family still stay in dunipace.i will ask if there is any info lying around if you would like.

the guy passed away a few years ago but family might have some info.

Where abouts in Denny was the Hibs ground?

Where abouts in Denny was the Hibs ground?

School Loan.I imagine that you know Denny,head down the town take a right just after the Donner Inn,into Carronbank.I would think that the ground would have been on the site of the present Saint Pats primary school, making it almost back to back with Dunipace's old Carronbank park.

That committee would be bigger than some of the crowds you see at some junior games nowadays.

Does anyone know why they folded so soon after winning the junior cup? Even allowing for it being against competition that was significantly weakened by the intermediate dispute (there was a short-lived breakaway in the late 20s and early 30s by top clubs in the Glasgow area and in Ayrshire that were in dispute with the SJFA) that still seems surprising. Yoker won the last of the rival intermediate cup finals the season Denny Hibs beat Burnbank.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why they folded so soon after winning the junior cup? Even allowing for it being against competition that was significantly weakened by the intermediate dispute (there was a short-lived breakaway in the late 20s and early 30s by top clubs in the Glasgow area and in Ayrshire that were in dispute with the SJFA) that still seems surprising. Yoker won the last of the rival intermediate cup finals the season Denny Hibs beat Burnbank.

Been doing a wee bit further research on why they folded.The club were notified that the ground had been requisitioned for a new school.Unfortunately the couldn't come to a solution for a new ground in time for the start of season 33/34.An EGM was called and it was decided that the club would go into a years abeyance,sadly as usually happens they never returned.

School Loan.I imagine that you know Denny,head down the town take a right just after the Donner Inn,into Carronbank.I would think that the ground would have been on the site of the present Saint Pats primary school, making it almost back to back with Dunipace's old Carronbank park.

-----------------------------------------

Looking at an old OS map, would that be "Gote Loan" rather than "School Loan?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/9/25/3350994/denny.jpg

The site is now occupied by the RC Primary. The location of the other football ground, which I presume is Carronbank is clear on Google Earth.

Edited by paulc

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Aye Paul,thats the Hibs ground down the "Gote" Loan.All match reports from the time refer to the ground as being the School loan,but it has always been better known as the "gote " loan.What year is this from?.The public park with bandstand later became Carronbank Park,home of the Pace.

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Aye Paul,thats the Hibs ground down the "Gote" Loan.All match reports from the time refer to the ground as being the School loan,but it has always been better known as the "gote " loan.What year is this from?.The public park with bandstand later became Carronbank Park,home of the Pace.

It says "date revised 1938. Probable publication date c 1948" which is a bit odd since Carronbank should appear on the map. I believe Dunipace moved into Carronbank in 1928. Presumably the two grounds were in use simultaneously for a few years.

Do you know anything about the football ground on the bottom right of the map?

It says "date revised 1938. Probable publication date c 1948" which is a bit odd since Carronbank should appear on the map. I believe Dunipace moved into Carronbank in 1928. Presumably the two grounds were in use simultaneously for a few years.

This map "date revised 1913, publication date 1922" shows yet another football ground. Could it and the one at the bottom right be former grounds of Dunipace Juniors. I believe they played at "Bridgend" 1909-28 and before that at "Green Park".

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/9/25/3350994/denny2.jpg

cheers,canni be 1938,the R.C.school the replaced the Hibs ground would be on it a least.Got a wee bit o feed back on the Denny Hibernian facebook page about the pitch to the right.It was called both Anderson and Hall Park,and was used mainly by Juvenile teams.Denny Rangers,Denny YMCA. ETC

This map "date revised 1913, publication date 1922" shows yet another football ground. Could it and the one at the bottom right be former grounds of Dunipace Juniors. I believe they played at "Bridgend" 1909-28 and before that at "Green Park".

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/9/25/3350994/denny2.jpg

I would think the park on the left,west Boreland road would be Dunipaces Bridgend Park.Probably because there is a bridge at the end of the road!!!!