Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Why send your kids to a Catholic school if your not Catholic?

Depends on how good the school is, it's not uncommon for non Catholics to attend catholic schools if the parents think they'll get a better education compared to the local non dom school

Why send your kids to a Catholic school if your not Catholic?

From my own point of view I was sent to a Catholic school as both the primary and the secondary were the best schools in the area. I'm from a mixed background, so religion was never a big thing in our house growing up, so it played no part in my parents choice of my education. My secondary school had a high number of non-RCs in attendance, from Protestants, Sikhs and Muslims, even at one point having the highest number of asylums seekers attending a school in Glasgow, many of whom were of a different faith. I'd like to think that the majority of people would chose the best school for their child regardless of whether it is RC or Non-denominational.

Edited by TheCelt67

From my own point of view I was sent to a Catholic school as both the primary and the secondary were the best schools in the area. I'm from a mixed background, so religion was never a big thing in our house growing up, so it played no part in my education. My secondary school had a high number of non-RCs in attendance, from Protestants, Sikhs and Muslims, even at one point having the highest number of asylums seekers attending a school in Glasgow, many of whom were of a different faith. I'd like to think that the majority of people would chose the best school for their child regardless of whether it is RC or Non-denominational.

Fair enough. I wouldn't discriminate against anybody going to an RC school however it is still an RC school and if you have a any kind of problem with the Catholic Church then don't send your kids there just to get good grades

What are you actually talking about? are you drunk or something?

Having a Protestant as head of the Church of England= essential.

Catholic schools are not open to everyone - I have already spelled out the discriminatory recruitment of employees.

I believe they should be educated about religions and cultures. I don't think they should be force fed one religion from adults in a position of authority form an early impressionable age.

That isn't always true, my kids both go to catholic schools ,my daughters best friend at school is a non-catholic in terms of her never being christened and therefore not being able to take communion etc... also at my sons catholic maintained secondary school at least 30% of the kids at it are non catholic including a couple of Hindu pupils.

i think in fairness it really depends on the school and the area, to generalise and say kids are being force fed a religion at school isn't always the case, neither of my kids come home after a hard days prayers swinging rosary beads and begging forgivness for sins and so on. Of course there are schools that do the hardline stuff but I think most schools now take a much more modern approach.

Take away the sky fairy angle as has happened over the past two generations as Scottish society has secularised and all that's left is a backward ancestral tribalism that revolves around what type of school you went to. The political parties with the exception so far of the Greens don't want to touch this issue because there are still enough older voters that actually believe in the sky fairy stuff to make backing full all out secularism with a complete separation of church and state a potential vote loser for them if there wasn't a broad based consensus across the political elite. So instead what we have got until very recently is politicians (Labour, the SNP and Lib Dems have all been at it in recent times, and the old Unionist party that was the forerunner to the Conservatives was very much defined by it) trying to appeal to voters (mainly but not exclusively on the RC side of the fence, the SNP in the Monklands East by election would be an example of the opposite) on a visceral level by tapping into this tribalism in a hot button sort of way. To paraphrase McDairmid it's time to pit the clathe ower the parrot on this stuff and move on.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I have never said they weren't open to kids of other back grounds. But they aren't open in their recruitment of teachers. I think when a school has a religious ethos then it must surely compromise the teaching of certain aspects of science and I know for a fact that certain social and ethical subjects are not permitted to be brought up as the subject of discursive/persuasive essays in English in a couple of the RC high schools that I know most about personally. The advice of guidance teachers to vulnerable students is also going to have to conform to the requirements of the faith, first and foremost, rather than what is best for the child- that doesn't sit comfortably with me either.

I think schools should encourage kids to be able to discuss and question absolutely everything in life- that's the basis of education. I think in religious schools that this freedom is compromised by other considerations and sensitivities.

Don't talk fuckin shite , you really are coming across as an ignoramus.

RC schools teach the exact same curriculum as any other State school , they are legally required to.

A teachers religion has no bearing on they way they teach science in a RC school?!! What the fuk are you talking about?

Video just popped up on my twitter there of a carriage full of men on the Glasgow subway in blue/white and red scarfs and orange blue and white scarfs singing 'we fucking hate Roman Catholics'

In this day and age

Embarassment

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Video just popped up on my twitter there of a carriage full of men on the Glasgow subway in blue/white and red scarfs and orange blue and white scarfs singing 'we fucking hate Roman Catholics'

In this day and age

Embarassment

I seen that one, obviously not representative of the orcs.

In this day and age

Embarassment

Bloody ICT fans in the city for the cup final

If you are being taught in RE that the world came about through creationism how is this reconciled with being taught in Science about evolution?

I know RC schools where there is absolutely no way a child would be allowed to write a discursive essay on for example the subject of abortion- I don't believe educational establishments should prohibit what a child can and cant write about. I don't claim this is official policy across al schools, but it has been the case in the only 2 where I know teachers.

I don't believe for a moment you've ever set foot in a catholic school to be making such claims.

Some of us have first hand experiences, but for a laugh. Please name the school in question

Edited by Enrico Annoni

In this day and age

Embarassment

Moronic to say the least and something that is a clear BoTP, but I'm not convinced (but certainly still open to persuasion) that it's really any more noteworthy in the big scheme of things nowadays than equally moronic songs about zoophilia aimed at Aberdonians when all of the people singing it probably never go anywhere near a church and are motivated by dislike of Celtic rather than anything related to differing views over transubstantiation or something like that. Politicians, who exploit the lingering tribalism, pretend there's still a huge rigid polarisation of Scottish society like there was 50 or 60 years ago, but the reality is that Senga has been marrying Declan, and Siobhan has been marrying Derek in recent decades and there is a younger generation growing up now, who can often easily swing both ways on these things.

I never claimed to have set foot in a RC school or have first hand experiences, but I have actually, and I would bet I was far closer to the delivery of the curriculum than you ever were presumably as a student....

Please. Don't leave us hanging. Do back up this claim