Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Its all part of the psuedo Ulster/Scots cringeworthy trying to develop a bond that is not as strong as they woul dhave us believe.

The bond is real for the people, who feel it and all identities can be argued to be artificial and constructed in academic terms rather than natural and organic as they seem to the people that are involved. The key to a deeper understanding of these sorts of issues is to be able to move beyond your own programming in identity terms. Think what people don't grasp on the Ulster-Scotland angle is that although immigration from the island of Ireland into Scotland in the 19th century is normally portrayed in the mainstream media as an Irish RC thing running into discrimination due to the nativism of local working class Scottish Presbyterians, about one in three of the migrants were actually from Protestant backgrounds. Stuff like the LOL and ABoD is something that was introduced into Scotland by that. Having research it in my own family the start of an LOL involvement was when two of my grandfather's great-uncles from a Bo'ness mining family married women from immigrant famine era families from Ireland while working as miners in the Harthill area, who both had Irish Gaelic surnames but were Protestant, which runs counter to all the usual stereotypes on this.

It's fucking bizarre, as if they are under some kind of threat from Catholics in shiteholes like Forth, Shotts and Slamannan. Nobody with any sense would set foot in these redneck wildernesses. I'd love to hear from someone on here who lives in one of these places

Always remember being asked back when I was teenager by a woman from Newry (very much of the red, white and blue persuasion despite being from south Armagh) something along the lines of, "Why are there all these lunatics from small mining villages going on about Ulster all the time? They are more extreme about it than most people are back home". She knew I had some Ulster ancestry (outside the 1921 gerrymander rather than in NI) and must have thought I might be able to provide some insight. You can say it's an ancestral thing given a lot of these towns and villages were populated to a significant extent by Ulster Protestants in the second half of the 19th century, but that was 5 or 6 generations ago now. Suspect the answer is that the loyal orders give a lot of people that live in some of the more grim residential areas of the central belt, a sense of purpose and meaning in their lives and a question people like WaffenThinMint should ponder is why there is nothing in mainstream Scottish culture that has been viewed as appealing enough over the last 150 years to take its place. In my experience, people from that sort of background tend to view a lot of the kilts and bagpipes and misty eyed romanticism about Highland landscapes sort of stuff that has been promoted as authentic Scottish culture by the powers that be with complete derision.

• The OO does''t represent Presbyterianism.

This is something people just don't get. BBC coverage of NI often tries to make this Presbyterianism Orangeism link but Dan Winter's cottage was very much in Church of Ireland sort of territory around Portadown rather than in the Ulster Scots sort of areas and during the 1798 rebellion, a very sizable portion of the Ulster Presbyterian population were opposed to the crown rather than aligned with it, because it was an Anglican Ascendancy that was in place in 18th century Ireland not a Protestant one. Only later after the Union of 1801 did Orangeism start to be used as a way to unify the various Protestant denominations in the face of RC-tinged Irish republicanism, but to this day it is still relatively weak in some of the most Presbyterian areas such as North Antrim. The reason it's not a core part of the Scottish cultural landscape is that the whole view of the role of the monarchy within Orangeism is very much an Anglican Church of Ireland one that is at odds with traditional Scottish viewpoints growing out of the legacy of the Covenanters, which very much downplayed and marginalised the religious role of a monarch.

The reason it's not a core part of the Scottish cultural landscape is that the whole view of the role of the monarchy within Orangeism is very much an Anglican Church of Ireland one that is at odds with traditional Scottish viewpoints growing out of the legacy of the Covenanters, which very much downplayed and marginalised the religious role of a monarch.

Lurky, you may know this better than me....but didn't The OO in Ireland originally restrict membership solely to CofI communicants? I have a hefty wager that I'm right and there has been a big sea-change and that it's now seen as a branch of Presbyterianism.

You are right, of course, about the monarchy thing. In Scotland, even before 1688, there was a strong movement to reduce monarchical power and influence. There's a good case to be made that the then Presbyterian view was the anti-establishment one.

Up here in the land of Sneck our former local lodge known to many as the Portland Club went bust a couple of years ago due to unpaid taxes. For a collection of unionists loyal to the crown, they do seem to struggle with the concept that paying your taxes is a duty as a loyal subject and they should be, those that are in work, looking forward every month to giving their contribution to HM Government.

Its pleasing now especially considering the traffic up here clogging up the road system around the city center that we don't have to endure that lot any more expressing their right to march especially around the Catholic Church and schools on the north side of the river.

This seems familiar.

Lurky, you may know this better than me....but didn't The OO in Ireland originally restrict membership solely to CofI communicants? I have a hefty wager that I'm right and there has been a big sea-change and that it's now seen as a branch of Presbyterianism.

I think you are right on that, but can't provide any evidence to help you collect, unfortunately. The sea-change in attitudes after the 1801 Union is obvious and non-controversial though. For example, the great-grandfather of Col. Fred Crawford of Clyde Valley fame is known to have been actively involved in the 1798 rebellion on the side of the United Irishmen, who were inspired by the secularism of the French Revolution. Three or four generations later, the problem with Home Rule from a Presbyterian sort of standpoint was even if it wasn't always the overtly stated goal, many of the people involved wanted to take the old Anglican Ascendancy model of rule from Dublin and turn it upside down to create a society dominated by Roman Catholicism as eventually happened in the RoI under Eamon de Valera's Fianna Fail, while in contrast the Union had been what had leveled the playing field between the PCI and CoI and eventually led to the outright disestablishment of the CoI.

Came off the M8 eastbound at the Dumbarton exit yesterday and managed to nip out just in front of yet another wee orange walk holding up traffic on Maryhill Road. Great feeling.

I hoped you slowed down to a snails pace with the radio up full

Doubt it..THE Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland has spoken out against the Westminster vote on gay marriage.

The Deputy Grand Master, Rev Alistair Smyth described it as a further sign of moral decline.

Yes because the Catholic church are well renowned for their support of gay rights ....

Now if you actually read my post rather than posting blatant whataboutery , my point was stating that their are probably practicing Catholics out their who would find the idea of someone dressing as the pope wearing a gay rights flag/badge extremely offensive.

Edited by forever_blue

Yes because the Catholic church are well renowned for their support of gay rights ....

Now if you actually read my post rather than posting blatant whataboutery , my point was stating that their are probably practicing Catholics out their who would find the idea of someone dressing as the pope wearing a gay rights flag/badge extremely offensive.

Were the Catholic church having a timmy day in george square?