Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

If they didn't want hangers on, they shouldn't march on a public road.

One March a year in an open space is more than enough for them to celebrate.

of course they want people to attend and enjoy the march should they chose to , but they cant control who decides to turn up and how they behave or what state they get into. its free, they gain little from these people choosing to watch or follow. unlike at football for example where rangers and celtic can ban people from the ground ,or stewards can stop drunk people entering the stadium. the orange order cant ban people from the street on the day of their walk. that is the polices job.

of course they want people to attend and enjoy the march should they chose to , but they cant control who decides to turn up and how they behave or what state they get into. its free, they gain little from these people choosing to watch or follow. unlike at football for example where rangers and celtic can ban people from the ground ,or stewards can stop drunk people entering the stadium. the orange order cant ban people from the street on the day of their walk. that is the polices job.

Of course they can control it as football does.

Have the march in a public park/field. Make it an all ticket event.

Easier for police to manage and easier to catch the trouble makers.

Of course they can control it as football does.

Have the march in a public park/field. Make it an all ticket event.

Easier for police to manage and easier to catch the trouble makers.

why should they though , if they want to march on the streets it is perfectly within their rights to do so. before you use the excuse of potential trouble , couldn't you say the same for any anti-nuclear, war,g8 protest that take place and quite often result in trouble or certain clashes with police etc.

plus have you seen the length of some of the walks , it would be like a game of snake in the park :lol:

also for people saying restrict it to one walk per year, the supposed one walk per year you would prefer it restricted to is the one that attracts the most zoomers . as I have said the majority of these walks are small and go by fairly unnoticed

Edited by forever_blue

why should they though , if they want to march on the streets it is perfectly within their rights to do so. before you use the excuse of potential trouble , couldn't you say the same for any anti-nuclear, war protest that take place and quite often result in trouble or certain clashes with police etc.

I really hope you're not comparing an anti nuclear weapon demo at Faslane to an orange walk.

Why do they feel the need to march through public streets chasing disrupting to the vast majority of people?

It's just attention seeking with a unfounded belief of superiority, nothing more, nothing less.

Nothing stoping the lodges having a celebrating / gathering in a public park, even the Pope was sensible enough to do it this way when visiting Scotland. Makes it easier for everyone from the police, the council, the supporters, the residents and the tax payers who have to fund these marches across the city

Edited by Enrico Annoni

I really hope you're not comparing an anti nuclear weapon demo at Faslane to an orange walk.

Why do they feel the need to march through public streets chasing disrupting to the vast majority of people?

It's just attention seeking with a unfounded belief of superiority, nothing more, nothing less.

Nothing stoping the lodges having a celebrating / gathering in a public park, even the Pope was sensible enough to do it this way when visiting Scotland. Makes it easier for everyone from the police, the council, the supporters, the residents and the tax payers who have to fund these marches across the city

no I am not comparing the actual walk to the demo , I am comparing the situations. why should these marches not be allowed to go ahead at the risk of trouble but others are fine.

again the hangers on are getting mixed up with the actual orange order, perhaps jock as a rangers man to rangers man you would know that a lot of these hangers on that use the walk to get drunk are also the same drunken neds that are at rangers games . should all rangers games be played behind closed doors in that case ?

I called you out on your claim that the only time there is 'any form of trouble' is the weekend before the 12th July. That clearly isn't the case.

As for Rangers playing behind closed doors, they do already. Behind closed doors in front of 50,000 people.

So yes, I'd be all for treating orange walks the same way.

What I'd really like though is a professional police service who actually arrest and prosecute the bams at any and all events.

no I am not comparing the actual walk to the demo , I am comparing the situations. why should these marches not be allowed to go ahead at the risk of trouble but others are fine.

I've yet to see one anti nuclear weapon demo marching down my street let alone 57 of them every year.

I think you're clutching at straws here.

The OO have no reasonable excuse that they have to march down public roads every year to celebrate.

As I said, if they don't want trouble making hangers on.

Ticket the event.

Makes it easier to police, identify the undesirables, that way they could easily distance themselves from these trouble makers without being tarred by them.

It would also show they don't march through streets just to annoy parts of the community who don't want them.

It has already been mentioned that orange walks already get special treatment.

They actually get to walk, rather than being kettled which is standard practice. Clearly that costs more to police. (although kettling is bollocks too).

They also get to make multiple walks on the same day in different parts of the country.

Most importantly though, they cause a huge nuiscance to the community. Even if they were perfectly behaved, which they have never once been in history, they'd still hold up traffic and disrupt the areas the are held in.

I called you out on your claim that the only time there is 'any form of trouble' is the weekend before the 12th July. That clearly isn't the case.

As for Rangers playing behind closed doors, they do already. Behind closed doors in front of 50,000 people.

So yes, I'd be all for treating orange walks the same way.

What I'd really like though is a professional police service who actually arrest and prosecute the bams at any and all events.

that is the walk that gathers the majority of "trouble" , I don't know how you can disagree with that. how often do you hear of any other trouble at orange walks , the answer? not very.

yes very good rangers do play behind closed doors but you know that is not what I meant ? and on that point does that manage to stop some bams getting into the 50,000 crowd ? no. so what difference is doing so at orange walk going to achieve.

As Enrico asked originally, why 57 marches?

I heard them last Sunday morning in Bridgeton, and it was clear they could use the fucking practice.

Pertinently, though, the first day of the Western Union Cricket Scotland League is tomorrow, with the big match being at Hamilton Crescent between Glasgow's Big Two, West Of Scotland and Clydesdale.

As for the East League, I couldn't give a f***.

It has already been mentioned that orange walks already get special treatment.

They actually get to walk, rather than being kettled which is standard practice. Clearly that costs more to police. (although kettling is bollocks too).

They also get to make multiple walks on the same day in different parts of the country.

Most importantly though, they cause a huge nuiscance to the community. Even if they were perfectly behaved, which they have never once been in history, they'd still hold up traffic and disrupt the areas the are held in.

the reason they don't get kettled is simply because it is a parade , not a protest. as for the traffic and disruption so does every parade that takes place on planet earth unfrotunatley.

the reason they don't get kettled is simply because it is a parade , not a protest. as for the traffic and disruption so does every parade that takes place on planet earth unfrotunatley.

You can't compare to protests one second and them want it treated as a parade the next.

that is the walk that gathers the majority of "trouble" , I don't know how you can disagree with that. how often do you hear of any other trouble at orange walks , the answer? not very.

yes very good rangers do play behind closed doors but you know that is not what I meant ? and on that point does that manage to stop some bams getting into the 50,000 crowd ? no. so what difference is doing so at orange walk going to achieve.

Would you be happy with the police taking a zero tolerance approach?

Anyone drinking in the street? Cells till Monday.

Singing songs which are actually banned in Scottish law? Cells till Monday. At least.

Smashing windows, abusing people and generally being utter scum because you don't think the police will wade into a crowd this big? Cells till monday, ASBO for life and jail for 6 months every time you come within 50 ft of a member of the OO.

Would you be happy with this? I'm fairly sure large portions of the OO wouldn't and the 'unionist community' would go fucking mental at having the rule of law applied to them fairly in this manner.

Would you be happy with the police taking a zero tolerance approach?

Anyone drinking in the street? Cells till Monday.

Singing songs which are actually banned in Scottish law? Cells till Monday. At least.

Smashing windows, abusing people and generally being utter scum because you don't think the police will wade into a crowd this big? Cells till monday, ASBO for life and jail for 6 months every time you come within 50 ft of a member of the OO.

Would you be happy with this? I'm fairly sure large portions of the OO wouldn't and the 'unionist community' would go fucking mental at having the rule of law applied to them fairly in this manner.

Anyone drinking in the street? Cells till Monday.- as far as I am aware drinking in the street results in a 40 pound fine not a weekender unless you are disorderly which will result in a weekender regardless of if there is an orange walk on or not

Smashing windows, abusing people and generally being utter scum because you don't think the police will wade into a crowd this big? Cells till monday, ASBO for life and jail for 6 months every time you come within 50 ft of a member of the OO.- these are things that will result in a weekender regardless of if there is an orange walk or not again apart from the banner point , that is just you waffling.

this idea that the streets all of a sudden become a lawless throwback to 1970's Belfast on the day of an orange walk is ridiculous.the police will still arrest people if they are caught doing any of the above mentioned. there is probably more trouble on the day of a rangers v celtic game than there is on the big orange walk. should we have them played in a park and ticketed aswell? oh wait they already are and that dosent stop the bams fighting amonst each other does it ?

I had a look for marches in Edinburgh

And there's 3 on tomorrow

Dyke March Scotland, Norwegian Constitution, Romanian Stray Dog Protest March
http://eventsedinburgh.org.uk/planners_event_calendar.html&view=list&year=2014&month=5

Any butch Norwegian lesbians with strong feelings about animal welfare in Eastern Europe are in for a busy day

The Orange Order may have been telling the Herald about a massive parade just before the referendum but they don't seem to have actually told the council yet.

There seems to be only 4 sectarian marches booked (all provisional)

James Connolly Commemoration: 31/May
Procession in Honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary: 31/May
John Knox District No.5 Morning and Afternoon Parades: 28/June
Provincial Grand Black Chapter of Scotland - Annual Demonstration 9/August

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Anyone drinking in the street? Cells till Monday.- as far as I am aware drinking in the street results in a 40 pound fine not a weekender unless you are disorderly which will result in a weekender regardless of if there is an orange walk on or not

Smashing windows, abusing people and generally being utter scum because you don't think the police will wade into a crowd this big? Cells till monday, ASBO for life and jail for 6 months every time you come within 50 ft of a member of the OO.- these are things that will result in a weekender regardless of if there is an orange walk or not again apart from the banner point , that is just you waffling.

this idea that the streets all of a sudden become a lawless throwback to 1970's Belfast on the day of an orange walk is ridiculous.the police will still arrest people if they are caught doing any of the above mentioned. there is probably more trouble on the day of a rangers v celtic game than there is on the big orange walk. should we have them played in a park and ticketed aswell? oh wait they already are and that dosent stop the bams fighting amonst each other does it ?

Since you avoided my questions I'll try asking a simpler one:

Would you want everyone committing crimes around orange walks banned for life from attending them and jailed if they ever tried?

After all, it's just a wee undesirable element that thew orange order themselves don't want there. That is what you're claiming isn't it?

So the kneejerk visceral reaction to the sight of a few neds with a union flag is to ship them off to Blair Drummond safari park. How very tolerant. :wacko: Hopefully Scottish middle class society won't get a nation state to lord it over. Once Westminster and the English are no longer available as the scapegoat to blame anything and everything on, a lot of people would go completely haywire when the new shortbread tin republic turns out to be more of the same old Scheidt dressed up in a tartan skirt.

Maybe we'll do what the Britnats have done for decades and blame everything on the Irish, the West Indians, the Pakistanis, the Polish, the Romanians & Bulgarians who haven't actually invaded yet but probably will, Europe instead.

Yes, quite a few of them look more different to me than the English, so I think I'd like that.

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher

Since you avoided my questions I'll try asking a simpler one:

Would you want everyone committing crimes around orange walks banned for life from attending them and jailed if they ever tried?

After all, it's just a wee undesirable element that thew orange order themselves don't want there. That is what you're claiming isn't it?

no I am claiming that the orange order have no control over who attends these marches other than there member doing the marches .

I think I answered your questions clearly, the actions you described would result in police action if you are caught doing any of them regardless of wether there is an orange walk on or not. have you ever seen an orange walk ? you do know there is a clear gap between the actual marchers and followers /supporters don't you ?

as I have said old firm games ar ticketed and played behind closed doors it dosent stop people brawling, drinking , shouting in the pubs or streets afterwards. should rangers or celtic be made responsible for these supporters actions

Edited by forever_blue

I had a look for marches in Edinburgh

And there's 3 on tomorrow

Dyke March Scotland, Norwegian Constitution, Romanian Stray Dog Protest March

http://eventsedinburgh.org.uk/planners_event_calendar.html&view=list&year=2014&month=5

Any butch Norwegian lesbians with strong feelings about animal welfare in Eastern Europe are in for a busy day

The Orange Order may have been telling the Herald about a massive parade just before the referendum but they don't seem to have actually told the council yet.

There seems to be only 4 sectarian marches booked (all provisional)

James Connolly Commemoration: 31/May

Procession in Honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary: 31/May

John Knox District No.5 Morning and Afternoon Parades: 28/June

Provincial Grand Black Chapter of Scotland - Annual Demonstration 9/August

We can't match that level of excitement up this way.

http://invernessfestivals.com/winter08/events_directory.php

Rhoddy Pulling | Foyers - 2pm - 4pm

Help us remove rhododendron from the woodland at Foyers. Seedlings of this invasive plant are sprouting, we're going to try and remove as many as possible today. Meet at Foyers shop car park. Adults £3, conc. £2, families £8.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

no I am claiming that the orange order have no control over who attends these marches other than there member doing the marches .

I think I answered your questions clearly, the actions you described would result in police action if you are caught doing any of them regardless of wether there is an orange walk on or not. have you ever seen an orange walk ? you do know there is a clear gap between the actual marchers and followers /supporters don't you ?

as I have said old firm games ar ticketed and played behind closed doors it dosent stop people brawling, drinking , shouting in the pubs or streets afterwards. should rangers or celtic be made responsible for these supporters actions

Why are you putting so much effort into comparing the orange order to a football club?

One exists to play football on private property where they take responsibility for all that happens.

The other exists to celebrate a sectarian conflict from centuries ago, does their thing on public property in a way that massively inconveniences huge numbers of people and as you are repeatedly intimating, takes no responsibility for what happens.