Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Looks like they are playing the sash out in Lisbon now, no sanctity left it seems.

That tune has been dunting around Europe since the 1800s and you're bound to find some interpretation of it on the continent. People hear Go Marching Through Georgia and think of the Billy Boys, but the tune is from the time of the American Civil War and was adopted to sing the praises of a 1930s fascist street gang.

That tune has been dunting around Europe since the 1800s and you're bound to find some interpretation of it on the continent. People hear Go Marching Through Georgia and think of the Billy Boys, but the tune is from the time of the American Civil War and was adopted to sing the praises of a 1930s fascist street gang.

If they were actual 1930s fascists they'd be on the green side as opposed to the orange so to speak.

If they were actual 1930s fascists they'd be on the green side as opposed to the orange so to speak.

Fascism was, and probably is, a very broad church. The British Union of Fascists, for example. Anti-Catholic and anti-Irish rallies in Glasgow and Edinburgh in 1935 and 1936. The same sort having their baws booted in Cable Street by Jewish brothers and sisters sick of intimidation. Southern Ireland also had its share of fruitcakes.

Anyhoo ... tunes are very old and everywhere.

considering who Billy Fulerton was I always amazed when Rangers fans try to justify this song.

Fascism was, and probably is, a very broad church. The British Union of Fascists, for example. Anti-Catholic and anti-Irish rallies in Glasgow and Edinburgh in 1935 and 1936. The same sort having their baws booted in Cable Street by Jewish brothers and sisters sick of intimidation. Southern Ireland also had its share of fruitcakes.

Anyhoo ... tunes are very old and everywhere.

What I meant was that Mosley's BUF were very much anti-partition pro united-Ireland and attracted Catholic support. Given it's Roman origins and general southern European nature Historical was viewed as a Papish threat by contemporary hard line Scottish protestants.

In the intervening years the term "Facist" like "Vandal", "H*n" and for that matter "Goth" has long since taken on a different meaning in English since it stopped being used in the First person. It's now a genera perogativel term for Brutish thugs whose politics one doesn't like. It's less of a broad church and more of a broad brush. I've seen it used by SDL/EDL apologists here to describe the Anti Facist League.

Having said that however...

When it came to the foot soldiers of the Communist and Facist groups fighting it out on the streets of East London it's easy to exaggerate their level of political consciousness and commitment. My Grandad was a red shirt until his bigger harder brother Victor came home in a black shirt one day and he swapped over. One gets the impression that, away from Mosley's command structure and the Communist commiteemen extremist politics in London was a distraction and the real purpose of these gangs at street level was to provide an excuse for excitable young men to get dressed up and enjoy a pagger (a bit like Hibs in the '80s).

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

What I meant was that Mosley's BUF were very much anti-partition pro united-Ireland and attracted Catholic support. Given it's Roman origins and general southern European nature Historical was viewed as a Papish threat by contemporary hard line Scottish protestants.

In the intervening years the term "Facist" like "Vandal", "H*n" and for that matter "Goth" has long since taken on a different meaning in English since it stopped being used in the First person. It's now a genera perogativel term for Brutish thugs whose politics one doesn't like. It's less of a broad church and more of a broad brush. I've seen it used by SDL/EDL apologists here to describe the Anti Facist League.

Having said that however...

When it came to the foot soldiers of the Communist and Facist groups fighting it out on the streets of East London it's easy to exaggerate their level of political consciousness and commitment. My Grandad was a red shirt until his bigger harder brother Victor came home in a black shirt one day and he swapped over. One gets the impression that, away from Mosley's command structure and the Communist commiteemen extremist politics in London was a distraction and the real purpose of these gangs at street level was to provide an excuse for excitable young men to get dressed up and enjoy a pagger (a bit like Hibs in the '80s).

Pro-vid-ing it's with dignity? Eh T.C?

I'm sure I can hear a bigot parade off in the distance.

Edit: Yes, I can confirm that there is a bigot parade in Falkirk right now.

Presumably this one

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/chief_executive/governance/licensing/civic_licensing/procession.aspx?rid=589

4pm seems a bit late in the day for that kind of thing though.

Yeah, that must be it. They should go march around the nearest field instead of shitting up the roads. :thumbsdown

Well, if it helps, you've got 4 weeks clear till the next one

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/chief_executive/governance/licensing/civic_licensing/public_processions.aspx#pending

Aye, but the wee busker is singing the sash at one point, so I'm not getting your point here.

He's determind to turn Rangers supporters into fascists, basically, when in reality they were patriotic Brits who fought the Axis powers during WWII to defend parliamentary democracy while people like Sean Russell were boarding German U-boats and De Valera was signing a book of condolence for Adolf Hitler.

He's determind to turn Rangers supporters into fascists, basically, when in reality they were patriotic Brits who fought the Axis powers during WWII to defend parliamentary democracy while people like Sean Russell were boarding German U-boats and De Valera was signing a book of condolence for Adolf Hitler.

Billy Fullerton was a fascist, that is indisputable. Not in a 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' kind of way, more in a 'I hate people different from me' kind of way. He also apparently started a Glasgow branch of the Ku Klux Klan, when not leading 'The Billy Boys'.

The sad fact is that many Rangers fans are now supporters or sympathisers of neo-fascist, ethnically/racially/religiously based hate organisations like bnp, britain first, sdl, edl, national front and loyalist paramilitaries. I've perused rangers hate sites and the rhetoric, philosophy and mindset of many rangers fans is scarcely distinguishable from that used by these groups. Indeed one could call rangers fc the "sporting wing" of these groups. Let's not forget, this is the club that operated a seventy year ethnically-based employment embargo at the insistence of their fans. Rangers engaged in racial profiling almost a decade and a half before the nazis even came to power in Germany, so in many ways they were innovators in this area.