Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

I think I do.

We aren't talking about what the word sectarian (in isolation)means we are talking about sectarian bigotry ,that's 2 different things,

A religious group that has a certain membership qualification and promotes it's religion isn't a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

However a religious group that has a certain membership qualification that preaches religious supremacy and actively condemns and is opposed to another religion is a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

A religious group that has a certain membership qualification and promotes it's religion isn't a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

A group which excludes members from joining on the basis of their religion is quite clearly sectarian you fucking headcase.

A group which excludes members from joining on the basis of their religion is quite clearly sectarian you fucking headcase.

But are they sectarian (bigoted)?

That is the new question.

I would disagree with classing the Knights of Saint Columba with the Ancient Order of Hibernians as one of the same. I've always felt the Hibs in Scotland and Ireland are different from the American branches, and it's a case of if you want to get involved with the Church you'd join the Knights, if you were a bigot, the Hibernians were your choice.

I don't think anybody was claiming they were the same, but they were just being quoted as examples of sectarian Roman Catholic fraternal societies.

Those Protestants, up to no good as usual. :rolleyes:

Our sole purpose in life, dontcha know.

Edited by Jacksgranda

I don't think anybody was claiming they were the same, but they were just being quoted as examples of sectarian Roman Catholic fraternal societies.

Our sole purpose in life, dontcha know.

I thought he was trying to portray them as one and the same, if I have picked him up wrong then it's an error on my behalf.

I think I do.

We aren't talking about what the word sectarian (in isolation)means we are talking about sectarian bigotry ,that's 2 different things,

However a religious group that has a certain membership qualification that preaches religious supremacy and actively condemns and is opposed to another religion is a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

Given that all sky fairy worshippers think that theirs is the only chosen path, then surely that would make them all supremacists?

That doesn't sound like any kind of national crisis to me, just anti-social behaviour where drink is more of a contributing factor than sectarianism. So by your admission sectarianism is basically just a footballing problem...

Omg

I'm not sure if you're being serious here

It's no even worth replying to you

If you seriously don't think sectarianism is a problem in Scotland you're mental

You go on about how equality/foodbanks etc are worse, guys like RedRob wouldn't vote for independence if it was GUARANTEED to solve or help all these problems purely because of his British Protestant religious/loyalist beliefs!!!!

Sectarianism is a huge problem in Scotland

A blind man could see that

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Are most orangemen even religious? Do they attend church every Sunday, study the bible and all that good stuff? Is there a criteria of sufficient religiosity that much be reached to attain membership, or will a union jack tattoo on the forearm suffice? Most just seem to be in it for the aggro every summer.

Sectarianism is massively overstated compared to things like sexism racism or homophobia, but it does exist and shouldn't be washed over, I struggle to think of a time I've heard sectarianism abuse away from a football context, other forms of discrimination are much more widespread.

But then I'm not from greater weegieland and the white heterosexual males there seem to want more reason to hate things different from themselves.

Sectarianism is just lazily assumed to exist in Scotland without any real evidence to support the hysteria it attracts.

Sectarianism is massively overstated compared to things like sexism racism or homophobia,

There is no chance that the pair of you will have your points taken seriously.

There is heehaw chance that a Rangers fan backing you up will help your perfectly reasonable case.

You are both right, of course.

Are most orangemen even religious? Do they attend church every Sunday, study the bible and all that good stuff? Is there a criteria of sufficient religiosity that much be reached to attain membership, or will a union jack tattoo on the forearm suffice? Most just seem to be in it for the aggro every summer.

In my experience most of the Orangemen that I know and have met wouldn't have a clue what the inside of a church looked like,tends to be slightly different out in the sticks so I'm told .

Maybe we are just so used to it then?

I've heard a lot of homophobic slurs at the football, I know sexism exists in certain work environments but never actually witnessed any first hand, the whole catholic/protestant shite in this country is mental though.

Scotland needs to start moving on from Loyalist and Republican marches FFS. Celtic and Sevco are an embarassment with some of the songs they sing.

Just wait and see what the country is like come the start of July... :lol:

I had a wee google of it to see if I was alone in thinking it was a problem

Almost nine in ten Scots think sectarianism is a problem for Scotland apparently

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/feb/24/almost-nine-in-ten-scots-think-sectarianism-is-a-problem-for-scotland

Maybe we are just so used to it then?

I've heard a lot of homophobic slurs at the football, I know sexism exists in certain work environments but never actually witnessed any first hand, the whole catholic/protestant shite in this country is mental though.

How mental is it?