3-5-2

donald

I disagree with the notion that playing 3 at the back requires the wide players to be defensive. The centre mids can drop back and fill gaps left by any of the CBs been drawn out wide.

Interesting fact from Martin O'Neil's Celtic formation, was that neither of his 'wing-backs' were defenders. Didier Agathe was a converted striker and Alan Thomson considered himself to be 'an attacking left-sided central midfielder'.

Yes but that was Celtic against the SPL most of the time. Celtic were expected to steamroller teams. Scotland is nowhere near strong enough to pull that off in comparison.

I do like the sentiment, and I wish we were capable of playing it, but there simply isn't a good enough team to carry out the formation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats absolute nonsense, you dont need to be good or bad to play any formation, scotland are clearly capable of playing 352 532 451 433 or 8 at the back its totally irrelevant, you just pick the right players for the right formation. what you're probably trying to say is that might not be the best formation for our best players, but thats a different point.

thats absolute nonsense, you dont need to be good or bad to play any formation, scotland are clearly capable of playing 352 532 451 433 or 8 at the back its totally irrelevant, you just pick the right players for the right formation. what you're probably trying to say is that might not be the best formation for our best players, but thats a different point.

I mean what a ridiculous thing to say really, a nation of 5 million people isnt 'capable' of playing 352, really? there arent 3 central defenders 3 midfielders 2 wingbacks and 2 strikers available to our entire country? are you seriously suggesting that? course not.

You are a fool

I mean what a ridiculous thing to say really, a nation of 5 million people isnt 'capable' of playing 352, really? there arent 3 central defenders 3 midfielders 2 wingbacks and 2 strikers available to our entire country? are you seriously suggesting that? course not.

K. xxx

The main problem is that our defence isn't great (though I do have confidence it'll improve), and we still lack a brilliant defensive midfielder. That means our midfield have to sit deeper than they should, and this means we get hemmed in. If we get that sorted, I'm sure Scotland will be more expansive in the future.

I don't think these problems can be addressed, even short team, by a system change. 3-5-2 wouldn't work - you'd have three defenders marking one striker for the most part, and be exposed on the wings (as if we aren't exposed there enough already).

Most teams play a variant of 4-5-1 nowadays which - by it's nature - will beat a similar level team playing 3-5-2. It makes absolutely no sense to change the entire team when playing against weaker sides at home when playing 4-4-2 would quite easily solve the problem and is a formation most players know.

what on earth makes you think 451 would beat a similar level 352? these are the sort of comments that get me annoyed, thats just absolute drivel, and spoken as if you have some sort of insight. for example, 352 puts 2 centre forwards directly up agaisnt 2 cb's in that scenario, whereas the 3 at the back have only 1 to deal with, which do you think puts the oppositions goal under more threat? the correct answer is actually neither as players win games but its illustrative of how much nonsense was in that post.

what on earth makes you think 451 would beat a similar level 352? these are the sort of comments that get me annoyed, thats just absolute drivel, and spoken as if you have some sort of insight. for example, 352 puts 2 centre forwards directly up agaisnt 2 cb's in that scenario, whereas the 3 at the back have only 1 to deal with, which do you think puts the oppositions goal under more threat? the correct answer is actually neither as players win games but its illustrative of how much nonsense was in that post.

You've clearly never watched a football match in your life.

its not me talking drivel and Ive played in over a thousand.   believe it or not the most likely result between two teams of a similar level is a draw, amazingly enough, assuming its played at a neutral venue.

Bullshit. Back it up with proof.

Why does everyone advocate a 2 up front system? Our 4-2-3-1 is infinitely better than any system that plays 2 up front. The results, and performances, in our last 4 games prove this.

haha back what up, I'm not making any assertions, or saying that we should play 2 up front, I'm simply saying to say one formation is 'better' than another is laughably stupid and completely wrong.

So do you think 1-1-8 and 4-4-2 are equally good formations?

Archived