NFL Draft 2014 Thread

Sloop John B

It's that time of year again for NFL Network's three months for the price of two. Buy now and get full live coverage of the combine, free agency and the draft itself. On top of that you get access to all of the channel's regular programming such as A Football Life and Top 10 which are both great shows.

All for £5.98. Fantastic value.

So what sort of commission do you get?

Seriously though do you have a link for that...?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of pundits are predicting Clowney for us now. Seems to be a strong favourite all of a sudden. It begs the question is O'Brien going to stick with Schaub for the time being, or is he going to take a second round pick for QB? Who'd be left? Plenty touting Mettenberger as a second round pick for us, amongst others: Carr, Garrapolo or McCarron. Would these guys be a longer term project or would he throw them in at the deep end? Sticking with Schaub would not go down too well with the fans.

I was looking at CBS mock drafts yesterday and 3 of the 4 pundits had you taking Bortles which I found a little surprising.

I know it would be a disaster but I kinda want Manziel to fall to 11 so the Titans can take him. It would be entertaining at least.

The fact is that when the season ends these guys are still employed and paid to postulate on the NFL. They're asked to still fill the same amount of airtime and column inches but without actual games to comment on.

So you end up with coverage of the draft which is incredibly premature. The fact is that General Managers and then Head Coaches are only truly beginning to focus on the draft process in recent weeks and are still making judgements on the senior players that have been reported on by their college scouting departments the previous Autumn. And as we speak they still have the combine, interviews, pro days, team visits and medicals to do with all of the class and this will all have a massive impact on their value of each player.

And note I say seniors in the paragraph before. Bortles, Bridgewater, Clowney and Manziel (for talking sake as some of the most highly thought of prospects) are all underclassmen and as such NFL teams are not allowed to do any official scouting on them or speak with any of the players coaches at all. So they're even further behind on their evaluation of these players (with underclassmen commonly being the players with most potential in a draft class, hence their decision to declare early) and have even more work to do in determining were they'll ultimately rank them.

So yes, while these guys on TV and on websites have a job to do and can make for interesting reading and thoughts for debate, what they do is far, far removed from the actual work of the people in the front offices of teams doing this job for real and what you read at this point in time has to be taken with a pound of salt.

No bother. Have you seen any episodes of A Football Life?

Yeah I used to watch it on Sky Sports when I had it, some of the older ones are great but I noticed theyve been doing like LT and Kurt Warner and more recent guys like that.

Interesting interview from Johnny Manziel there, particularly that last answer regarding why he isn't throwing in public. If he meets with the Texans and doesn't go #1 I might be a bit worried. Other than that he seemed to be taking it seriously and not being the ego-machine he's been made out to be so far, my confidence has been restored in him for now

Combine live on NFL Network now.

EDIT: OL and TE's today.

Colt Lyerla will be the man to watch from the TE class IMO, certainly has the most to prove and probably the most upside, if he puts up big numbers like I expect him to then the interviews will be the only thing standing in his way. Still probably wont go until the 3rd or 4th at the earliest right enough...

Colt Lyerla will be the man to watch from the TE class IMO, certainly has the most to prove and probably the most upside, if he puts up big numbers like I expect him to then the interviews will be the only thing standing in his way. Still probably wont go until the 3rd or 4th at the earliest right enough...

He's my 3rd ranked TE (based on talent, not off field stuff). I'd love it if the Jets picked him up in the 4th Round.

He's my 3rd ranked TE (based on talent, not off field stuff). I'd love it if the Jets picked him up in the 4th Round.

Ebron and Amaro ahead of him? I like him better than Amaro and Sefarian-Jenkins (although SJ is better all round) and maybe just slightly behind Ebron with the potential to be better. His size and speed is just ridiculous, just wish he'd played or transferred instead of dropping out to show that off more :(

Ebron and Amaro ahead of him? I like him better than Amaro and Sefarian-Jenkins (although SJ is better all round) and maybe just slightly behind Ebron with the potential to be better. His size and speed is just ridiculous, just wish he'd played or transferred instead of dropping out to show that off more :(

Ebron, Amaro, Lyerla, ASJ and Niklas are my top 5. I fall in love with a player when I'm all alone watching them play and they make me say "wow". Lyerla taking snaps at RB and mauling defenders made me gush. He has more upside than everyone but Ebron.

4.38 I thought they mentioned earlier. Definitely a bit quicker.

Aw they might have done, stuck in work all day so missed it. Even then for someone well over 200lbs anything below 4.6 is pretty amazing

Archived