Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Autorotation requires several variables in order for it to be carried out successfully - one of which would be the main rotors turning in the first place.

I've seen two separate interviews where crash investigation experts have stated that a Mayday call was not appropriate on this occasion.

I have qualifications in Aeronautical Engineering and I've spent most of my adult life working on military and civilian helicopters.

Given what has been made public I would say the that the most likely cause would have been transmission failure of some sort - most probably main rotor gearbox. I notice that people far more experienced than me are also stating that publicly.

Please note that I'm not saying that that has to be the case - we don't know all the facts.

I'd be interested to know what sort of 'pilot error' would result in an aircraft tumbling nose over tail with the main rotors stopped ?

Every account I have read says the helicopter dropped straight down.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if it was a transmission failure as you say the most likely cause is, that's what would have happened.

For the aircraft to go end over end, the rotors would still have to be going. Otherwise there'd be nothing to cause the change in pitch.

So to answer your question: I have no idea what sort of pilot error "would result in an aircraft tumbling nose over tail with the main rotors stopped".

I don't think that happened.

I've also not seen any experts saying a mayday wasn't normal procedure.

Also the money that families receive as a death benefit does not come from the tax payer, every serving police officer pays £5 for a death of a serving officer which goes towards the initial costs, little if not any cost will be met by the taxpayer,it's a police funeral,your attitude is disgusting.

If the taxpayer doesn't subsidise things that's fine by me.

However I see no reason whatsoever to give police officers special attention. I think teachers or nurses or all the other civil servants who do more but get paid less deserve it more and if they don't get it, neither should coppers.

Every account I have read says the helicopter dropped straight down.

The following is an eyewitness account of the aircraft falling to the ground - it's attributed to Sun editor Gordon Smart:

"I looked around, and in front of me, between 500 feet and 1,000 feet in the air, I could see a helicopter in distress. And then suddenly it just completely lost power and fell from the sky like a stone and tumbled over, nose over tail,"

For the aircraft to go end over end, the rotors would still have to be going. Otherwise there'd be nothing to cause the change in pitch

Witnesses have stated that the main rotor head had stopped spinning so I'd suggest that purely the action of the aircraft falling from the sky was enough to cause it to tumble (FWIW - a helicopter's main rotor acts like a huge gyroscope - it makes the aircraft more stable)

So to answer your question: I have no idea what sort of pilot error "would result in an aircraft tumbling nose over tail with the main rotors stopped".

And yet that's what you - as an expert - claim !?

Guest The Phoenix
Also the money that families receive as a death benefit does not come from the tax payer, every serving police officer pays £5 for a death of a serving officer which goes towards the initial costs, little if not any cost will be met by the taxpayer,it's a police funeral,your attitude is disgusting.

I believe it's £10 per serving officer and although it's voluntary virtually everyone signs up. I understand if you don't your family doesn't benefit if you pay the ultimate sacrifice.

I believe it's £10 per serving officer and although it's voluntary virtually everyone signs up. I understand if you don't your family doesn't benefit if you pay the ultimate sacrifice.
kilbowie is a police officer, he would know.

If the taxpayer doesn't subsidise things that's fine by me.

However I see no reason whatsoever to give police officers special attention. I think teachers or nurses or all the other civil servants who do more but get paid less deserve it more and if they don't get it, neither should coppers.

The emergency services place thier lives on the line to save the lives of others. That is a possible requirement of the job and that they do it willingly is admirable.

The pilot serviced in the arms forces, trained pilots and was highly respected in his field. He died helping the emergency services, fully deserving of the honours he received. The fact you tried to turn his funeral into a argument about Rangers tax problems is nothing short of pathetic.

Do everyone a favor and stop going on about this. We have no idea what happened up there.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

It's £5, sadly paid out a couple times this year. Yes it's voluntary however I'd not wanna have to explain to the shift that your not a member, it's a very logical thing to do, in events like this the fed have funds which help pay out until it's recouped. It's a fantastic scheme,similar in fire brigade and taxi companies etc!

Used to have it in a golf club for hole in ones, saved an amazing shot being an expensive 1, it a simple but effective scheme.