The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

Im.not saying thats what will happen but that is a hand we have when the debate takes place. It's also stupid to suggest a currency union wont happen.

Also it will damage the UK as much as, if not more, than anyone else.

Saying it is in the interests of the UK to have a currency union is one thing. It's quite another to say this is a meaningful bargaining chip in the context of debt (which it isn't) when the shirking of debt has much more severe international consequences than direct finances and currency.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Independence there will be a currency union, Scotland will be in the EU and we will take our share of the debt. All of these are accepted by the YES campaign and any honest no supporter will surely accept that these are, at the very least, likely to happen. So any chance we could discuss how Scotland will get on financially after Independence

Good post mate. Like I have said. The currency and the EU issues keep getting repeated to avoid discussions on the more.important matters.

...the UK can refuse to give them any of the corporeal or incorporeal assets of the British state, save perhaps those already physically located in Scottish territory.

I'm not so sure about that. If (e.g.) a building is the property of the UK government, then why should its physical location make it any different to the toilet roll in the Bank of England?

It won't happen, but any situation that results in "no deal" over debt and assets could see plenty of foreign-owned (i.e. rUK-owned) assets in the newly independent Scotland.

I'm not so sure about that. If (e.g.) a building is the property of the UK government, then why should its physical location make it any different to the toilet roll in the Bank of England?

It won't happen, but any situation that results in "no deal" over debt and assets could see plenty of foreign-owned (i.e. rUK-owned) assets in the newly independent Scotland.

Inherent to UDI is that you take the territory and all that is attached to it with you. Otherwise you aren't even taking the land. It is the bare necessity for you to be, by definition, an independent sovereign state.

Inherent to UDI is that you take the territory and all that is attached to it with you. Otherwise you aren't even taking the land. It is the bare necessity for you to be, by definition, an independent sovereign state.

And then you put the nuclear subs on Ebay.

After Independence there will be a currency union, Scotland will be in the EU and we will take our share of the debt. All of these are accepted by the YES campaign and any honest no supporter will surely accept that these are, at the very least, likely to happen. So any chance we could discuss how Scotland will get on financially after Independence

:lol:

I'm sure..

You have already admitted that you think we would get.into the EU.

Do you think a currency union will happen ?

I doubt it.

It would be very bad for us if it did and would cede control over virtually all the levers that fucking idiot Swinney is always whining about not being able to pull.

"independence" won't be allowing him to pull them either, but he will still be able to blame Westminster while flying on autopilot so he should be in some sort of comfort zone.

As for the EU I'm looking forward to voting no to Scotland joining it when it is put before us in a referendum as all countries that want to join have to go through.

I doubt it.

It would be very bad for us if it did and would cede control over virtually all the levers that fucking idiot Swinney is always whining about not being able to pull.

"independence" won't be allowing him to pull them either, but he will still be able to blame Westminster while flying on autopilot so he should be in some sort of comfort zone.

As for the EU I'm looking forward to voting no to Scotland joining it when it is put before us in a referendum as all countries that want to join have to go through.

Well I think there will be a currency union. No doubt actually.

As for an EU referendum..... I think it will be a huge vote.in favour.if it happens.

So what's the alternative arrangement the SNP have in place when the UK says no to their assertion that currency union will be for their own good?

I assume they were smart enough to have one?

There probably will be a plan B. They aint daft. I doubt they would say this though for fear of making the shitebags even more scared.

On the currency issue... I can't help thinking the reason.none.of.them have stated categorically there wont be.union is because.there will be. Why not just say no? then there wont even be the slighest chance of a yes vote. The.only.logical answer is that there will be a currency union.

An article from NNS by George Kerevan, an angle right at the end that I hadn't thought of ....

TUESDAY, 14 JANUARY 2014 16:48
emailButton.pngprintButton.pngpdf_button.png

george-kerevan.jpg George Kerevan explains Monday's Treasury announcement on interest rates, Scotland and the UK's growing National Debt.

ON Monday, the UK Treasury issued the following statement. It's worth reading in detail:

"The Treasury has today set out detail on government debt in the event of Scottish independence. The technical note makes clear that the continuing UK Government would in all circumstances honour the contractual terms of the debt issued by the UK Government. An independent Scottish state would become responsible for a fair and proportionate share of the UK's current liabilities."

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/8576-george-kerevan-the-treasury-blinks-first

On the currency issue... I can't help thinking the reason.none.of.them have stated categorically there wont be.union is because.there will be. Why not just say no? then there wont even be the slighest chance of a yes vote. The.only.logical answer is that there will be a currency union.

Osborne said he thought it unlikely.

That's diplomatic speak for, get your fucking caravan off my front you lawn you fucking minks.

An article from NNS by George Kerevan, an angle right at the end that I hadn't thought of ....

TUESDAY, 14 JANUARY 2014 16:48
emailButton.pngprintButton.pngpdf_button.png

george-kerevan.jpg George Kerevan explains Monday's Treasury announcement on interest rates, Scotland and the UK's growing National Debt.

ON Monday, the UK Treasury issued the following statement. It's worth reading in detail:

"The Treasury has today set out detail on government debt in the event of Scottish independence. The technical note makes clear that the continuing UK Government would in all circumstances honour the contractual terms of the debt issued by the UK Government. An independent Scottish state would become responsible for a fair and proportionate share of the UK's current liabilities."

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/8576-george-kerevan-the-treasury-blinks-first

What angle at the end had you not thought of?

Archived