The Economic Case for an Independent Scotland

HardyBamboo

You can analyze facts and stats until your head hurts. The way I see things, ask yourself:

Do you want to be part of the society that is being created by Westminster? If you think it will change under Labour you are deluding yourself. The country is being run for the benefit of a few on the misery of millions. Elite, bankers and big business have broken Britain, and it will happen again, as they clearly haven't learned from their last lesson. Are we still quantative easing?

Capatalism has no morals or ethics, the UK is being held to ransom by financiers and banks, due to their stanglehold on GDP.

Why has the "No" camp not offered any postive outlook? Or anything other than trotting out the same "Project Fear"? They have no positive future to offer us in the UK. This "Project Fear" is insulting to the intelligence of the population.

Current Secretary of State, Alistair Carmichael, is a balloon. Alistair Darling played a part in where we are now. Cameron likes to drive the "Fear" but refuses to answer to it, his behaviour is not becoming of a UK prime minster.

Im by no means saying, it will be the land of milk and honey, if we become independent, but at least we will have a chance to change it and give a better future to our kids. Stay in UK, it will only get worse, and Scotlands standing at Westminster will be poor, and its bad at the moment.

We have little voice, and our democratic wishes are rarely carried out, as part of the UK at the moment. As for Labour being the saviour, look at the biggest areas of deprivation in Scotland over the last 30 years, and you will find a constant Labour council.

Even in my area, I am aware of a Labour/Tory coalition, to keep out SNP, as clearly the gravy train is too good to give away for Labour so they flutter their eyelids at their enemies to keep it going. UK is sick and politics is career driven, and has lost sight of the people it serves under the last two UK governments.

I couldn't give a f*ck if Cameron is on Team Nigella, I want to know what he is going to do about foodbanks, homeless, etc.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can analyze facts and stats until your head hurts. The way I see things, ask yourself:

Do you want to be part of the society that is being created by Westminster? If you think it will change under Labour you are deluding yourself. The country is being run for the benefit of a few on the misery of millions. Elite, bankers and big business have broken Britain, and it will happen again, as they clearly haven't learned from their last lesson. Are we still quantative easing?

Capatalism has no morals or ethics, the UK is being held to ransom by financiers and banks, due to their stanglehold on GDP.

Why has the "No" camp not offered any postive outlook? Or anything other than trotting out the same "Project Fear"? They have no positive future to offer us in the UK. This "Project Fear" is insulting to the intelligence of the population.

Current Secretary of State, Alistair Carmichael, is a balloon. Alistair Darling played a part in where we are now. Cameron likes to drive the "Fear" but refuses to answer to it, his behaviour is not becoming of a UK prime minster.

Im by no means saying, it will be the land of milk and honey, if we become independent, but at least we will have a chance to change it and give a better future to our kids. Stay in UK, it will only get worse, and Scotlands standing at Westminster will be poor, and its bad at the moment.

We have little voice, and our democratic wishes are rarely carried out, as part of the UK at the moment. As for Labour being the saviour, look at the biggest areas of deprivation in Scotland over the last 30 years, and you will find a constant Labour council.

Even in my area, I am aware of a Labour/Tory coalition, to keep out SNP, as clearly the gravy train is too good to give away for Labour so they flutter their eyelids at their enemies to keep it going. UK is sick and politics is career driven, and has lost sight of the people it serves under the last two UK governments.

I couldn't give a f*ck if Cameron is on Team Nigella, I want to know what he is going to do about foodbanks, homeless, etc.

Well said. This is the reason they unionists are intent on shutting down the debate. Tie it up in constitutional legalese. Economic minutae. Trivial discussion on mobile phone tariffs. Demonise personalities and reduce it to namecalling in order to turn the electorate off. They know they cant persuade the "dont knows" so the tactic is to keep them as "dont knows". Disenfranchise the electorate as much as possible and they simply switch off from the real debate. Do you want to be part of Cameron's Big Society, increasingly xenophobix, increasingly right wing, increasingly anti-europe and increasingly idealogical in it's pursuit of the Elitist social structure. Or do you want to be part of something different. This vote isnt about what is good for us right now, its about what kind of society we want for our children and grandchildren.

Well said. This is the reason they unionists are intent on shutting down the debate. Tie it up in constitutional legalese. Economic minutae. Trivial discussion on mobile phone tariffs. Demonise personalities and reduce it to namecalling in order to turn the electorate off. They know they cant persuade the "dont knows" so the tactic is to keep them as "dont knows". Disenfranchise the electorate as much as possible and they simply switch off from the real debate. Do you want to be part of Cameron's Big Society, increasingly xenophobix, increasingly right wing, increasingly anti-europe and increasingly idealogical in it's pursuit of the Elitist social structure. Or do you want to be part of something different. This vote isnt about what is good for us right now, its about what kind of society we want for our children and grandchildren.

Exactly, do we want to live in a society that demonises those that don't have a grasp of the 3 r's, Westminster seems to be intent on forming it's own Aryan race, fcuking shameful.

How is UK growth looking compared to our European peers?

I wouldn't be too keen to compare the UK to it's European peers, if I was a unionist. On GDP per capita, and pretty much all other social indicators, the UK is very far from being one of the top performers.

Brits are now poorer than the French, Swiss, Belgians, Swedes, Austrians, Aussies and Canadians

Between 2005 and 2011 British household incomes have tumbled below those of rich-nation counterparts in Switzerland, Australia, Austria, France, Canada, Belgium and Sweden, according to a new analysis from the UK’s Office of National Statistics. Despite some decent recent news on industrial production, the UK economy remains quite weak.

http://qz.com/84658/uk-household-income/

From Eurostat:

Having experienced a steady increase in GDP per capita, Austria comes out second among the EU Member States, at 30 % above the EU-28 average. The EFTA Member States Norway and Switzerland have a higher level of GDP per capita. Ireland shows a stable volume index among the top three EU Member States. Bulgaria records the lowest level of this indicator among the EU Member States.

Other EU Member States with a GDP per capita of more than 20 % above the EU-28 average are Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Belgium is about 20 % above the average, followed by Finland and EFTA Member State Iceland.

France, the United Kingdom and Italy show a GDP per capita level of up to 10 % above the EU-28 average.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/GDP_per_capita,_consumption_per_capita_and_price_level_indices

The UK ranks one place above the Czech Republic on the UN Human Development Index (five places below it if you adjust for inequality). It ranks below Ireland and Iceland on the Legatum Prosperity Index.

If we stick with the good governance we're all used to, though, as growth gathers pace, who knows? We here in Great Britain might one day be as wealthy per head as the Finns.

I watched the recent UK parliamentary commitee on Independence ... which took constitutional law evidence. SCOTLAND will be a new state, which will apply for membership of the EU. Since almost all of the necessary infrastructure is in place, such negotiations needn`t be over long, especially since Salmond prefers not to use the Euro. International law decides that `seabed` resources will divide along the median line (border) between states.

STM ... I have no idea where your pessimism about Scottish Government figures comes from since the OECD (europe`s primary economic statistician) also produced similar results. Scotland is a rich country ... and we have almost 50 European neighbours doing quite well without the dead hand of Westmintser to guide them ... or rob them ?

The big questions will be for after a YES VOTE ... though the UK Government has signed up to respect that .. and presumably Salmond`s negotiating team ..

some MP`s have already decided they`ll fight it, because of course SNP rarely bothers with Westminster elections (2015). Presumably, with a YES VOTE, they will .. and sweep their opponents into oblivion in the UK Parliament, giving a clear run to agreement before the next Scottish Parliamentary election is due (May 2016). Let`s face it ... if there is a YES VOTE, will any of the skulking `bitter together` lot stick around to be stoned ? And what would be the point in Cameron and Co continuing to `sulk` ... as all Brit Governments have done since USA and just about everyone else crawled out from under their garbage ..

It can't be. It's in a state of "continued decline" and facing "probable total collapse".

Growth rates were looking semi-okay before the 2007-2008 banking crash as well, but it still happened. A few "hints of recovery" aren't enough to guarantee that the UK economy will be any more stable or safe in the future than it has been up to now (with an IMF bailout, an unwanted devaluation of the pound, and several recessions in my lifetime alone). I doubt it faces "total collapse" though, to be honest. It'll most likely just keep staggering about in it's traditional way.

I watched the recent UK parliamentary commitee on Independence ... which took constitutional law evidence. SCOTLAND will be a new state, which will apply for membership of the EU.

Really? I thought we were inheriting membership rights as a co-equal successor state?

Growth rates were looking semi-okay before the 2007-2008 banking crash as well, but it still happened. A few "hints of recovery" aren't enough to guarantee that the UK economy will be any more stable or safe in the future than it has been up to now (with an IMF bailout, an unwanted devaluation of the pound, and several recessions in my lifetime alone). I doubt it faces "total collapse" though, to be honest. It'll most likely just keep staggering about in it's traditional way.

The point is, this ridiculous scaremongering isn't doing the NCC any favours.

It's quite embarrassing really.

The point is, this ridiculous scaremongering isn't doing the NCC any favours.

It's quite embarrassing really.

Look at the risk premium to see how others see us.

We're getting better but there's no way anyone can say we're home and hosed.

Look at the risk premium to see how others see us.

We're getting better but there's no way anyone can say we're home and hosed.

Of course we aren't - but when you look over the channel, it could be a lot worse.

The French economy is in a dreadful state.

Of course we aren't - but when you look over the channel, it could be a lot worse.

The French economy is in a dreadful state.

Yep, I just think we should concentrate on who we're chasing and find out if there's anything they're doing that we're not, probably not great for posting on here as tit for tat seems to be the preferred option, but I always think you should aim to do better.

Archived