The wonders of austerity

Confidemus

i am by no means an expert but I heard an interview on the radio that while the SG have powers to combat the impact of the bedroom tax they can only allocate so much to it. £6million or something like that

The SNP applied to the London government asking if they could extend the amount and were told no.

edit - beat me to it.

Wrong -

Mr Swinney, to applause from Labour and SNP benches, said yesterday: “I give parliament the assurance today that if the DWP says no, the Scottish Government will put in place a scheme to make this additional £12m available to social landlords so that we need not see any evictions in Scotland this year as a result solely of the bedroom tax.”

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SNP government wants to offset the impact of the bedroom tax – and is offering two alternatives.

The first is through discretionary housing payments (DHP) to those affected, with about

£50 million needed to fully offset its impact on 77,000 households affected. But the level of emergency funding has already reached the £38m limit allowed under Westminster rules, through a mixture of Scottish (£23m) and UK (£15m) cash.

The SNP wants this cap lifted by the UK Department of Work and Pensions. If this is agreed, Mr Swinney announced yesterday he will provide the additional £12m needed.

If this is refused, the Scottish Government will fund an alternative Labour-backed scheme which effectively allows councils and housing associations to “write off” the cost of bedroom tax to tenants facing eviction.

This is already in operation in East Lothian and Renfrewshire and Labour say it is a “workable alternative” to DHPs.

I will accept your apologies at any time...

So, local councils losing money due to debt being written off is your idea of the bedroom tax being completely dealt with?

Aye good wan.

The SNP can completely deal with the bedroom tax using existing powers and budget at Holyrood.

This is also true re childcare.

They just choose to spend the money elsewhere.

More wind and pish

Ok, care to expand and demonstrate how the SNP can completely deal with the bedroom tax, which is of course a reserved matter.

It is entirely within the power of the SNP Government to lift the punitive conditions that have forced local authorities to freeze the council tax on mansions, when that revenue could have been used to bolster their funds designed to help with housing support.

It is entirely within the power of the SNP Government to lift the punitive conditions that have forced local authorities to freeze the council tax on mansions, when that revenue could have been used to bolster their funds designed to help with housing support.

Deflection and whataboutery.

How about the awful Westminster imposed bedroom tax? No mention of that? Or is that just because your pal Danny and his chums support it?

Whoa, wait a minute.

This morning you were having a little stampy feet tantrum about the SNP not being able to deal with the bedroom tax from existing powers.

Now, where is the apology?

How about the awful Westminster imposed bedroom tax? No mention of that? Or is that just because your pal Danny and his chums support it?

I'm not against the underlying principles of the so-called bedroom tax. I'm against the specific way they apply to certain categories of people.

What that does not change is that the SNP have the legislative and fiscal means to negate all the effects of the changes should they consider it enough of a moral imperative to do so. They have chosen not to.

I'm not against the underlying principles of the so-called bedroom tax. I'm against the specific way they apply to certain categories of people.

What that does not change is that the SNP have the legislative and fiscal means to negate all the effects of the changes should they consider it enough of a moral imperative to do so. They have chosen not to.

I would think there are better, easier and fairer ways of saving a ~0.25% of the UK Welfare Budget.

There are people in shitholes getting £200/£400 per person for a room in Scotland, I'd like to see data showing the total costs of such policies.

I would think there are better, easier and fairer ways of saving a ~0.25% of the UK Welfare Budget.

Of that I have no doubt. That's not an argument against either the principle or the policy though.

So you truly believe the SG should fork out extra money to simply negate a Westminster policy?

Of that I have no doubt. That's not an argument against either the principle or the policy though.

In Scotland that policy would save ~£10 million if the disabled were exempted, hardly worth the bother.

I'm not a fan of the policy, we have been brought up to fight and work hard for the UK with a belief that your home is your castle, not much of a cause if they punt you out of your castle when the going gets tough.

Perhaps a proper house building project would serve us better than the current course we appear to be favouring.

So you truly believe the SG should fork out extra money to simply negate a Westminster policy?

So this is the new stampy feet complaint?

After you now realise that you were utterly wrong before?

So this is the new stampy feet complaint?

After you now realise that you were utterly wrong before?

In what way was I wrong?

While you're here, you still haven't apologised for saying Nicola Sturgeon was telling "shameful lies".

Archived