Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

Has the rule been changed (i.e. tightened) since the Debrecen incident?

If it hasn't then I don't see think it's very likely that UEFA's panel would expel Legia or award the tie 3-0 to Celtic (which would mean Celtic went through on away goals). Legia absolutely horsed them 6-1 and he played no meaningful part in the game... They'd no doubt be accused or going against Debrecen's precedent and favouring an 'establishment' country over an Eastern European one.

If, however, the rules are like the Scottish Cup and afford no leeway then - by definition - Legia would be out and Celtic back in.

Whether or not Celtic would even make it through the next round may be a moot point anyway, in which case it might well come to the same thing (Celtic in the EL groups - they surely wouldn't be bad enough to lose a EL playoff).

Did you not see their last two games?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Legia seeded for tomorrows draw? Last thing we need another Sion situation where we get 'their' draw.

The last thing you need? You should just be grateful of fluking your way into the next round and a guaranteed place in EL group stage if you lose.

Apologies for not having gone back enough pages to see the bit about differing definitions.

When it says "suspended following a disciplinary decision" is that just a long-winded way of saying "suspended" or does it mean explicitly by a hearing? By which I mean, does it cover someone getting a red-card for (say) denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity, or just someone given an X-match ban for a more serious offence? And what sort of ban was Legia's player given?

Anyway, if Celtic do end-up getting reinstated it's a stroke of luck... Somehow improve their performances and they could might put up a challenge against their unseeded opponents to reach the CL groups. Even if not, it'd ensure EL groupstage football.

Apologies for not having gone back enough pages to see the bit about differing definitions.

When it says "suspended following a disciplinary decision" is that just a long-winded way of saying "suspended" or does it mean explicitly by a hearing? By which I mean, does it cover someone getting a red-card for (say) denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity, or just someone given an X-match ban for a more serious offence? And what sort of ban was Legia's player given?

Anyway, if Celtic do end-up getting reinstated it's a stroke of luck... Somehow improve their performances and they could might put up a challenge against their unseeded opponents to reach the CL groups. Even if not, it'd ensure EL groupstage football.

Surely a disciplinary decision is just that? A decision to discipline a player. A red card for instance is a disciplinary decision by a referee and carries a suspension along with missing the rest of the match the player was sent off from.

The Legia player was ineligible for disciplinary reasons, not administrative ineligibility.

UEFA are money-grabbing b*****ds, and Celtic will obviously be worth more to them financially than some right-wing white supremiscists from the arsehole of the world. So that could work in their favour.

On the other hand, Celtic aren't exactly UEFA's favourite team. The "f**k UEFA" banner could come back to haunt them if UEFA are feeling particularly vindictive.

UEFA are money-grabbing b*****ds, and Celtic will obviously be worth more to them financially than some right-wing white supremiscists from the arsehole of the world. So that could work in their favour.

On the other hand, Celtic aren't exactly UEFA's favourite team. The "f**k UEFA" banner could come back to haunt them if UEFA are feeling particularly vindictive.

I fully expect the Green Brigade to be working on a banner saying 'Thank you UEFA, sorry or any misunderstanding we love you really'

If we drop into the Europa League

"Ronny Deila's side can only be drawn against RNK Split of Croatia, Cyprus' AC Omonia, Belgian side Lokeren, Aktobe of Kazakhstan or Romanian side Astra."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/285551-celtics-potential-europa-league-opponents-confirmed-ahead-of-draw/

p 4

1 FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS)

2 Torino FC (ITA)

3 Hull City (ENG)

4 Celtic FC (SCO)

5 Olympique Lyonnais (FRA)

6 RNK Split (CRO)

7 AC Omonia (CYP)

8 KSC Lokeren OV (BEL)

9 FC Aktobe (KAZ)

10 FC Astra (ROU)

Celtics opponents will be one of teams 6 to 10. I'm sure celtic lost to Lokeren many moons ago.

As it draws closer I'd rather they stuck with Legia.

While it would be great if Celtic managed to sneak in the back door there's always the threat of being eliminated at the qualifying stages twice in the same season. A record of some sort surely.

Think of the millions (calamitous for Scottish Football, almost "Armageddonesque") and the outraged diddy seethe .... C'moan the Hoops.!!!

Serious question here -

As a Celtic fan, in this particular season, would you prefer to see your team put up a decent fight in the Europa League, or get pumped by every team in the CL Group Stages?

Serious question here -

As a Celtic fan, in this particular season, would you prefer to see your team put up a decent fight in the Europa League, or get pumped by every team in the CL Group Stages?

think the more serious question is would he prefer them to get gubbed by every team in cl groups stages and still make a shitload of money pr would he prefer to get gubbed of every team in the europa group stage and make next to heehaw.

think the more serious question is would he prefer them to get gubbed by every team in cl groups stages and still make a shitload of money pr would he prefer to get gubbed of every team in the europa group stage and make next to heehaw.

Fair point, actually. I hadn't thought about it that way.

However, I think that if Celtic prioritised Europa over a domestic league which is pretty-much a foregone conclusion, I could see them having a chance of winning.

Serious question here -

I'd prefer a half hearted performance in the CL, finishing 3rd and dropping into the Europa League ;)

Archived