Connecting controller to PC

Wilky1878

I am a complete newbie to PC gaming always been on playstation, when I tried to connect my PS3 and PS4 controllers I cannot get MotionInJoy as the website is not working. Through multiple searches this seems the only real possible way to do this although I have read that you do not need anything to connect an Xbox controller. I was just wondering if someone could tell me whether there is another way to do this or whether it would be worthwhile buying an Xbox controller or a PC controller and a recommendation to the best ones if so.

Id go for an xbox controller. Literally, plug and play

Thanks, might pop out later and pick up one. Was quite pissed off earlier to say the least as Sony had said prior to PS4 being released that the controller could be just plugged in and played on a PC although through my research that is not the case

I am a complete newbie to PC gaming always been on playstation, when I tried to connect my PS3 and PS4 controllers I cannot get MotionInJoy as the website is not working. Through multiple searches this seems the only real possible way to do this although I have read that you do not need anything to connect an Xbox controller. I was just wondering if someone could tell me whether there is another way to do this or whether it would be worthwhile buying an Xbox controller or a PC controller and a recommendation to the best ones if so.

There's a program called better ds3 that helps but moptionjoy is the normal one to use. It's freeware and available from a few places iirc.

You need a bluetooth dongle to pick up the signals from your ps3 controllers. It can be a hassle to set up but it works.

Generally though I'd advise getting a cheap Xbox controller. They are just plug and play and the names of the buttons actually correspond to what PC games say. E.g the game says press x, you press X while on a ps3 controller you have to avoid x and press square(?) instead.

I got an afterglow controller for £10-£15 and it's fine on PC although the rubber has come off the left thumbstick.

Weird coloured lights make all tech better by default.

There's a program called better ds3 that helps but moptionjoy is the normal one to use. It's freeware and available from a few places iirc.

You need a bluetooth dongle to pick up the signals from your ps3 controllers. It can be a hassle to set up but it works.

Generally though I'd advise getting a cheap Xbox controller. They are just plug and play and the names of the buttons actually correspond to what PC games say. E.g the game says press x, you press X while on a ps3 controller you have to avoid x and press square(?) instead.

I got an afterglow controller for £10-£15 and it's fine on PC although the rubber has come off the left thumbstick.

Weird coloured lights make all tech better by default.

Cheers mate, I've tried Better DS3 but for some reason it detects my controller but will not let me use it. I had a look online and it did seem to be a common glitch Xbox is looking most likely then.

While we're on this subject, can anyone recommend a good, cheap joystick with rudder for the PC?

I've always liked the saitek kit but it isn't the cheapest.

I have a fly 5 which is excellent except for the rudder control being a stick twist.

• 2 months later...

bump....................

Did you find a cheap stick mr X?

I just broke 2 buttons on mine playing BF4.

No, I never bothered in the end. I was going to play Privateer 2 again but it was a pain running it in Dosbox etc so I gave up. I think Gog now has a windows version available, though, so I might look into that

Archived