Clyde v Ayr

Very pleased with first half football display and within 15mins clearly obvious BFs set up with the goalkeeper rolling the ball out to defenders to build from the back which we nearly got caught out once or twice though with a small forward line and no mccolm for keeper to aim im not sure which is the lesser of the two evils...

Second half. We either tired (We bit worrying after 45nins but that should come with games?!) and a better opposition perhaps had scored it would have been pretty uncomfortable though with a bench McColm.Daly.Scullion.Young.Mcghee and Frances on sat and Guiesepi Cappuno,Ian Gray,G Graham & Even B Ferguson to come in these players will some part im sure over the season perhaps at Venues like Bumpy Cliftonhill,Heavy Shiefield or Hurricane Gayfield when our passing style may have to change or game approach may have to adapt but we look like having a Squad to cope....

Finally Home Crowd not great on sat considering Fergies 1st game,Nice weather and good season last,Hopefully they will return and after 45mins sat alone i highly recommend from the head and not the heart

Forever n eva

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Clyde executed their tactics very well yesterday. They looked quite comfortable in their shape - one which demands a of lot rehearsal and versatility to work well. Their performance was very similar to that which some supporters might've witnessed through in East Kilbride a fortnight ago. Paul McManus introduced excellent movement and as such fronted the line much more usefully than Pat Scullion did in that match, mind you.

Commiserations to Ayr. I thought your management ought to have reacted more speedily to our tactics and to their own poorly made team selection. If you want value for Brian Gilmour's wage you'll need to accommodate him a bit better. He played in the hole for Clyde, never as a midfielder within a flat four. He flopped at QoS as a consequence of being used in an orthodox position, in my opinion (e.g. left midfield). Games will pass him by if he's given limited license to look for the ball in the space he likes and if he is obliged to mark an opponent for any length of time. If you can accommodate him you'll be entertained. He has a lot of flair for the game and a great brain.

Blogged here: http://footballforensic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/clyde-2-0-ayr-united-petrofac-training.html

I thought Clyde executed their tactics very well yesterday. They looked quite comfortable in their shape - one which demands a of lot rehearsal and versatility to work well. Their performance was very similar to that which some supporters might've witnessed through in East Kilbride a fortnight ago. Paul McManus introduced excellent movement and as such fronted the line much more usefully than Pat Scullion did in that match, mind you.

Commiserations to Ayr. I thought your management ought to have reacted more speedily to our tactics and to their own poorly made team selection. If you value for Brian Gilmour's wage you'll need to accommodate him a bit better. He played in the hole for Clyde, never as a midfielder within a flat four. He flopped at QoS as a consequence of being used in an orthodox position, in my opinion (e.g. left midfield). Games will pass him by if he's given limited license to look for the ball in the space he likes and if he is obliged to mark an opponent for any length of time. If you can accommodate him you'll be entertained. He has a lot of flair for the game and a great brain.

Blogged here: http://footballforensic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/clyde-2-0-ayr-united-petrofac-training.html

Can we sign you up as Ayr Manager ASAP !! :thumsup2

Commiserations to Ayr. I thought your management ought to have reacted more speedily to our tactics and to their own poorly made team selection. If you value for Brian Gilmour's wage you'll need to accommodate him a bit better. He played in the hole for Clyde, never as a midfielder within a flat four. He flopped at QoS as a consequence of being used in an orthodox position, in my opinion (e.g. left midfield). Games will pass him by if he's given limited license to look for the ball in the space he likes and if he is obliged to mark an opponent for any length of time. If you can accommodate him you'll be entertained. He has a lot of flair for the game and a great brain.

An interesting perspective, Vasily.

Under Mark Roberts we have consistently toiled against sides who don't match up to our 442 (notably, Brechin & Stenhousemuir) or play a more fluid formation going forward (Dunfermline and Stranraer last seaon). While McGovern played off Donnelly on Saturday, rather than alongside him, it was still essentially 442, and alas Forrest, and particularly McGill, gave limited cover to our full-backs, both of whom struggled, McLaughlin and Gilmour were outnumbered and McGovern did little to link midfield and attack. Roberts suggests we moved to 433 in the second-half but I didn't really appreciate this watching the game, albeit my head was mostly in my hands at this point.

In some respects we were hamstrung on Saturday by a lack of options but it quite clear that a midfield duo of McLaughlin and Gilmour isn't going to cut it this season. Gilmour has tended to play as a deep lying playmaker for Ayr, if you call playmaking clipping pointless balls forward into no-mans land. Michael Moffat could sometimes make something of these but I doubt Donnelly will, which brings me on to perhaps the most disappointing part of Saturday. In his pre-season interview on AU Media, Roberts suggested that we'd need to play a more possesion-based passing game but there was little evidence of this. I was expecting McGovern to get on the ball and dictate things a lot more than he did and as the game worn on the ball was increasingly be sent long, even by players who weren't at the club last season.

An as for David Hutton's distribution...

Roberts suggests we moved to 433 in the second-half but I didn't really appreciate this watching the game, albeit my head was mostly in my hands at this point.

The change was most noticeable from the goal-kicks which Hutton took: a third forward/attacker came into direct competition with our full-back (mostly Forrest on the right). I deliberately overlooked the change because it was immaterial. Given the lead which Clyde were defending and the nature of the tie, both Forrest and McGill were likely to find themselves further up the park in the second half regardless of instruction. It's arguable whether the change even limited Clyde's ability to play out of defence. NB: if you look at the highlights reel on Clyde's website, you'll see Ayr's 4-3-3 at about 4:33-4:36.

It's interesting to see how formations interact. On the basis of what you've written, my impression is that Ayr haven't had much of an engine room for a while. Sometimes you find that one athletic and destructive central midfielder is enough to see a side dominate in midfield against an opposing side with three 'useful-in-possession' type players in same area of the pitch. If those three players haven't the means to get in and about their direct opponents then their side mightn't see the ball that often. Having said that there may be many other variables at play in a match.

For my money Gilmour is too timid and slight a player for the centre of the park, and too mobile and inventive a player to be utilised from deep. If I were Roberts I'd try to fit him in elsewhere.

Archived