EA Access.

Only available for Xbox One users, some are saying it's the 'Netflix for Gaming'.

£3.99 a month and you get access to the 'EA Vault' which will have 'unlimited' access to certain EA developed games.

Anyone going to give this a try?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting, but I'm doubtful that it's going to be a major success.

There's a massive lack of clarity as to how the system is going to operate and what games will be entering the vault and when. It guaranteed people are going to be buying into this expecting, for example, FIFA 15 to appear in the vault sometime soon. I think it is more realistic to expect it to appear around this time next year, but there's no guarantee that it will.

For people like myself who only buy FIFA every second year or so and dabble with NHL and Madden every couple of years (buying once the price drops) and aren't too bothered about not having the newest version straight-away, there's an obvious attraction to paying £30 and getting games like these towards the end of their cycle (maybe 3 months before the new release comes out). It also means that friends will be getting the same version of the game (it's far better to have a number of friends with a year-old version of Madden than you being the only one with a new copy).

It's a bit of a tight-rope for EA in that they have to offer games that make the subscription worthwhile, yet without damaging new retail sales (why bother buying the new release if it's going to be included in the package soon, buy why buy the package if the games are too old?) I certainly think there's a market somewhere in the middle for people who are content to be a little behind the curve, but it's quite a limited market (certainly no Netflix equivalent) and it's not even clear that EA will manage to tap into that.

Also, if this was going to be massive for EA you'd think that they would want it on both Xbox and PS4. Main advantage seems to be to allow MS to advertise FIFA15/Battlefield 5/Madden etc as "Play it first on XBox One" (even though the early release is only 5 days and you have to take out a subscription just to get that).

Bloody hell that was a long post. Amazing how productive I can be during my lunchbreak when trying to avoid going back to proper work!

Archived