Ayr United vs. Greenock Morton

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good performance. Murphy had the experience we were lacking at the back last season, and McGill and Forrest were both excellent.

Morton were very poor, but a great start.

As poor as Morton were - they really did carve us open easily at times. Even in the dying minutes they probably should've levelled it.

I was pleasantly surprised today. As you said, Murphy was very assured and the two young wingers were very lively (although how Forrest never got the MotM I'll never know). I thought our new right back was also very, very impressive. His runs going forward created a lot of space and he also covered Campbell a couple of times at the back.

The red card was a massive turning point for me. Although we had the better of the first half I though Morton had our number after half time. They were clearly bigger and stronger - and for that period we were tiring and going nowhere. The tackle was ridiculous. What goes through a player's head these days when he decides to dive in like that? Anyway, that turned the game - and what a header from Donnelly (who didn't really impress me up until that point).

Its a brilliant feeling when you pick up 3 points on opening day, and there are some real positives - but I'm not convinced its going to be a successful season for us.

Ayr were there to be carved open at the back. We were embarrassingly poor but we still had quite a few decent chances. That would be the worrying thing for Ayr, that and only managing to score once.

Forrest and McGill ran rings round our lumps at the back, and we had nothing in midfield to attempt to control the match. We punted hopeful long ball after hopeful long ball, brutal stuff.

It really was embarrassing from Morton. Our main aim seemed to be to do everything we could to stop a game of football from breaking out. And without the sending off we might have got the 0-0 that we seemed to be there for. The best team won, but that was horrible from us.

Are Morton really full time? Jesus Christ, they are fucking awful. Just go part time, you'll still be shite but it'll cost less.

Murphy walked it. Class.

Number 5 for you lot (Crighton?) is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen play at Somerset. Top marks to his agent for managing to get him an actual full time contract.

I stand by what I said before the game: Ayr United are a diabolical side who are relegation fodder and most teams in this division will annihilate them. The problem with that is that while that is true, they are infinitely superior to us in every area of the park. We were utterly outclassed by a vastly superior side today and there's no getting away from that. 1-0 to Ayr absolutely flattered Morton, it should have been 3-0 at least and on the balance of play we couldn't have complained if it was more.

There are absolutely no positives to take from that all, it was atrocious from every player other than Gaston from start to finish. That was genuinely the worst Morton performance I've ever seen and it's testament to how dire Ayr are that they only won by one goal; Hamilton - or even Dunfermline or Stranraer - would have had an absolute minimum of 25 past us today. Jim Duffy has assembled a squad of awful players who won't ever play well, mainly because there's not a footballer on the planet who could possibly do well playing under that troglodyte's pitiful excuse for tactics, but also because no one in that team has an ounce of footballing ability. We are an utter laughing stock and we will continue to be so until Rae and Duffy f**k off, promising never to come back. Even I'd be an improvement on Duffy, and as you can see by this post I'm a seething mess.

We are at the lowest ebb in the history of this club, we are bottom of the league and we are going to stay there unless we sack the cretinous dinosaur, appoint a new manager and sign a entire new squad in the next couple of weeks. We thought last season was bad; we didn't know the Jim Duffy era was just around the corner. This is Dougie Rae's legacy.

^^^verge of tears

That was good today from us.

Morton are a poor poor side but i think Barrowman will help a lot for them as they made the chances but were embarrassing in terms of finishing.

Another goal for Donzo hopefully thats him over whatever was the problem over the past few years

Highlights up quickly tonight.

I'm surprised Forrest's leg is still in one piece after that tackle, what can you expect with Duffy at the helm.

Highlights up quickly tonight.

That's the last two sets of highlights I've watched and some decent passing play by Ayr.

The opposition just can't handle it and end up getting men sent off.

Archived