Ayr United vs. Greenock Morton

I'm glad I didn't fly up solely for that game. Awful spectacle in the first half. Second half Ayr improved a bit and passed it around nicely at times. That shouldn't mask the fact that we lack pace, are poor in central midfield and sparse up front. I also couldn't believe we didn't list a full compliment of substitutes. Has that been the case at other fixtures this season?

Morton were dreadful but Ayr weren't so much better that I left feeling confident about the season. Hopefully the obvious gaps are filled before it's too late. If they are we may make the play-offs.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donnolly is going to be a big player for us this year.still could do with another striker as good as him or better in case he gets injured or goes of the boil again

He was a lazy sod with us last year hence his release.

No doubt has ability but often looked like he could not be arsed.

I stand by what I said before the game: Ayr United are a diabolical side who are relegation fodder and most teams in this division will annihilate them. The problem with that is that while that is true, they are infinitely superior to us in every area of the park. We were utterly outclassed by a vastly superior side today and there's no getting away from that. 1-0 to Ayr absolutely flattered Morton, it should have been 3-0 at least and on the balance of play we couldn't have complained if it was more.

There are absolutely no positives to take from that all, it was atrocious from every player other than Gaston from start to finish. That was genuinely the worst Morton performance I've ever seen and it's testament to how dire Ayr are that they only won by one goal; Hamilton - or even Dunfermline or Stranraer - would have had an absolute minimum of 25 past us today. Jim Duffy has assembled a squad of awful players who won't ever play well, mainly because there's not a footballer on the planet who could possibly do well playing under that troglodyte's pitiful excuse for tactics, but also because no one in that team has an ounce of footballing ability. We are an utter laughing stock and we will continue to be so until Rae and Duffy f**k off, promising never to come back. Even I'd be an improvement on Duffy, and as you can see by this post I'm a seething mess.

We are at the lowest ebb in the history of this club, we are bottom of the league and we are going to stay there unless we sack the cretinous dinosaur, appoint a new manager and sign a entire new squad in the next couple of weeks. We thought last season was bad; we didn't know the Jim Duffy era was just around the corner. This is Dougie Rae's legacy.

^^^verge of tears

favourite post

...Awful spectacle in the first half. Second half Ayr improved a bit and passed it around nicely at times. That shouldn't mask the fact that we lack pace, are poor in central midfield...

Can't agree with any of this.

Roberts is well aware that the squad is 2-3 bodies short, so no panic in this regard yet.

I thought Gilmour and McLaughlin had their best game as a midfield partnership and won plenty of the ball. I liked the look of McGovern when he dropped deeper too.

I'm glad I didn't fly up solely for that game. Awful spectacle in the first half. Second half Ayr improved a bit and passed it around nicely at times. That shouldn't mask the fact that we lack pace, are poor in central midfield and sparse up front. I also couldn't believe we didn't list a full compliment of substitutes. Has that been the case at other fixtures this season?

Morton were dreadful but Ayr weren't so much better that I left feeling confident about the season. Hopefully the obvious gaps are filled before it's too late. If they are we may make the play-offs.

Did you actually fly up at all? Strange view of the game IMO.

We've continually improved since being well beaten by Clyde. The midfield middle was again missing at times, but again, was an improvement from the previous games. I get the feeling Scotty is just taking a bit of time to get up to speed after pre-season, he's looked a bit sluggish.

I'd say that was one of the most exciting attacking performances under Roberts to be honest. The style of play mainly; letting Forrest roam, getting McGill on the ball to cause panic, Devlin bursting forward towards the end.

Murphy is class, and Campbell is solid as always but I agree that there's a lack of pace in there. Devlin is night and day from Hunter/McAusland at right back. I don't think there's a distinct lack of pace about the side either to be honest. McGill, Donald and Devlin to an extent all have a good burst on them.

Completely agree we need another couple of bodies in, but it appears Roberts knows this too. Very pleased after the first league game of the season.

Guest honestrae95

It's good to see the Morton boys are taking it so well. Unfortunately I missed the game but from the highlights, though that's never conclusive, it looked like we passed the ball about quite nicely. I still think we need another body who can play left back as Donald is a bit of a liability there and if McKinlay is injury prone as it seems, then that area is going to be our Achilles heel.

Edit to add- we also need another striker and possibly a midfielder.

I stand by what I said before the game: Ayr United are a diabolical side who are relegation fodder and most teams in this division will annihilate them. The problem with that is that while that is true, they are infinitely superior to us in every area of the park. We were utterly outclassed by a vastly superior side today and there's no getting away from that. 1-0 to Ayr absolutely flattered Morton, it should have been 3-0 at least and on the balance of play we couldn't have complained if it was more.
There are absolutely no positives to take from that all, it was atrocious from every player other than Gaston from start to finish. That was genuinely the worst Morton performance I've ever seen and it's testament to how dire Ayr are that they only won by one goal; Hamilton - or even Dunfermline or Stranraer - would have had an absolute minimum of 25 past us today. Jim Duffy has assembled a squad of awful players who won't ever play well, mainly because there's not a footballer on the planet who could possibly do well playing under that troglodyte's pitiful excuse for tactics, but also because no one in that team has an ounce of footballing ability. We are an utter laughing stock and we will continue to be so until Rae and Duffy f**k off, promising never to come back. Even I'd be an improvement on Duffy, and as you can see by this post I'm a seething mess.
We are at the lowest ebb in the history of this club, we are bottom of the league and we are going to stay there unless we sack the cretinous dinosaur, appoint a new manager and sign a entire new squad in the next couple of weeks. We thought last season was bad; we didn't know the Jim Duffy era was just around the corner. This is Dougie Rae's legacy.
^^^verge of tears

Just thought id pop down to say i miss you guys.......

^^^verge of tears

Agree 100% Not missed a game this season so far and we are rank rotten.

Think that is the worst Morten side I have seen in a long time!!

We played well but there is still some room for improvement. A new centre half is needed as Bobo is done, McLaughlin and Gilmour just don't compliment each other in midfield so another midfielder is needed. The reshuffle by Roberts to have a look at Shirkie nearly backfired and almost got Morten a goal.

On the positive side Forest and McGill were outstanding. Donnelly took his goal well and Roberts may be the man to bring him back to the level he was at. I was really impressed by Murphy and it is clear the level he has previously played at. JP playing between the lines was great to watch and our passing was good 90% of the time. Nicky Devlin was solid today and it's nice to see an out and out right back playing in an Ayr strip. Roberts has a good problem on the left mid as McGill doesn't deserve to lose his place but Donald is the better out the two, however, he isn't a left back. I wouldn't go chasing a new LB (to cover injury prone McKinlay) as Donald can play there and would do in the short term.

Overall, pleased with a good opening day win and fairly optimistic about this season.

As for the red card, ooft. A straight red no qualms and everyone agrees on it.

Did you actually fly up at all? Strange view of the game IMO.

We've continually improved since being well beaten by Clyde. The midfield middle was again missing at times, but again, was an improvement from the previous games. I get the feeling Scotty is just taking a bit of time to get up to speed after pre-season, he's looked a bit sluggish.

I'd say that was one of the most exciting attacking performances under Roberts to be honest. The style of play mainly; letting Forrest roam, getting McGill on the ball to cause panic, Devlin bursting forward towards the end.

Murphy is class, and Campbell is solid as always but I agree that there's a lack of pace in there. Devlin is night and day from Hunter/McAusland at right back. I don't think there's a distinct lack of pace about the side either to be honest. McGill, Donald and Devlin to an extent all have a good burst on them.

Completely agree we need another couple of bodies in, but it appears Roberts knows this too. Very pleased after the first league game of the season.

Erm, strange view of the game? You just agreed with most of what I said.

Can't see me being arsed to spend hard earned cash on this set of mince. Know it's just the start of season but reports from match confirm what we all knew would happen. Another shitfest season

Three songs to define the side - Never Going Back Again (Fleetwood Mac); Underdog (Kasabian); High Hopes (Kodaline).

and one for the manager: This Charming Man/Big Mouth Strikes Again (The Smiths)

What's your choices?

Can't see me being arsed to spend hard earned cash on this set of mince. Know it's just the start of season but reports from match confirm what we all knew would happen. Another shitfest season

Three songs to define the side - Never Going Back Again (Fleetwood Mac); Underdog (Kasabian); High Hopes (Kodaline).

and one for the manager:

What's your choices?

Erm, strange view of the game? You just agreed with most of what I said.

Lol. We'll agree to disagree that we agree.

My initial comment was largely about your overall assessment of the game. I did not feel the 1st half was an awful spectacle, far from it in fact. If anything I thought we were better in the 1st half, and only began to control it when they went down to 10. Overall, I thought it was very entertaining game (which you didn't) during which we played some really good football.

I also left the game feeling confident (to a certain extent anyway!) about the season, unlike yourself. I agree with a couple of the points you make which weren't strictly in relation to the game itself, but our squad.

Can't agree with any of this.

Roberts is well aware that the squad is 2-3 bodies short, so no panic in this regard yet.

I thought Gilmour and McLaughlin had their best game as a midfield partnership and won plenty of the ball. I liked the look of McGovern when he dropped deeper too.

McGovern looked better when he did drop deep. The only problem with that was it left Donnelly isolated quite a lot of the time.

Archived