Referendum coverage in schools

pandarilla

Only the Bitter Together campaign would clutch at straws by cherry picking unofficial polling done in schools then publish them on their website as if it was some sort of genuine indicator.

Smacks of desperation, imo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014

http://news.stv.tv/north/239978-thousands-of-scottish-secondary-pupils-vote-no-in-mock-referendum/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting link there, shows that only 4/46 polls taken in 2014 have the Yes vote polling at over 40%.

Still think it will be closer but its an encouraging trend.

You have missed the point. Only BT would actively cherry pick and trump up the result as being momentous. These sorts of polls are notoriously flawed and return unrepresentative results. This is not just true for this referendum, but time immemorial.

Do you think I am dismissing this because of the selected few highlighted have come down on the No side of the debate? Not at all, what the BT press release fails to point out is that in the University of Strathclyde, where they were claiming such a great victory, the results of an equally unofficial poll just one month earlier resulted in the support for a Yes vote by some 57%.

Perhaps the No campaign has been so successful they have elicited a double figure percentage swing in just a matter of days, or perhaps (as is actually the case) the results are flawed and not to be trusted. That is, of course, unless you are the Bitter Together campaign who will stick lipstick on a pig.

You have missed the point. Only BT would actively cherry pick and trump up the result as being momentous. These sorts of polls are notoriously flawed and return unrepresentative results. This is not just true for this referendum, but time immemorial.

Do you think I am dismissing this because of the selected few highlighted have come down on the No side of the debate? Not at all, what the BT press release fails to point out is that in the University of Strathclyde, where they were claiming such a great victory, the results of an equally unofficial poll just one month earlier resulted in the support for a Yes vote by some 57%.

Perhaps the No campaign has been so successful they have elicited a double figure percentage swing in just a matter of days, or perhaps (as is actually the case) the results are flawed and not to be trusted. That is, of course, unless you are the Bitter Together campaign who will stick lipstick on a pig.

Yes it is easy to miss the point you try to make in your verbose posts.Just like all the pseudo intellectuals posts.

Agreed - but are you saying you think teachers shouldn't give their own opinions when asked?

I would suggest that no public servants should be expressing political opinions whilst carrying out their duties. Pupils may be curious but ultimately such political opinions have no place in the provision of general guidance in terms of what is taking place.

I would suggest that no public servants should be expressing political opinions whilst carrying out their duties.

Aren't politicians public servants? Not allowing them to express their political opinion would certainly provide us all with a well earned rest from their bullshit but I believe it might prove impracticable in relation to their job.

I would suggest that no public servants should be expressing political opinions whilst carrying out their duties. Pupils may be curious but ultimately such political opinions have no place in the provision of general guidance in terms of what is taking place.

Should I keep my opinions about the slave trade to myself? Or at least provide a balanced argument why it was such a good thing?

Should I keep my opinions about the slave trade to myself? Or at least provide a balanced argument why it was such a good thing?

You have a position of authority over these young people; accordingly you should always consider the potential for your opinion to influence them. If you think your opinion re the referendum has any place or value then that is for you to consider and justify very carefully; I would suggest the easiest way to avoid conflict is for you to simply apply the curriculum and be neutral. I don't think we want teachers, doctors, social workers, police officers etc using their role to either imply or overtly state support for one position or the other.

You have a position of authority over these young people; accordingly you should always consider the potential for your opinion to influence them. If you think your opinion re the referendum has any place or value then that is for you to consider and justify very carefully; I would suggest the easiest way to avoid conflict is for you to simply apply the curriculum and be neutral. I don't think we want teachers, doctors, social workers, police officers etc using their role to either imply or overtly state support for one position or the other.

I respectfully disagree.

In terms of your first point - it is something I take very seriously. Someone else mentioned playing devil's advocate and that is also something that I use to stimulate debate and discussion. History is a topic of opinion and argument. I want my classes to engage with the topics covered - and to see as many sides as they can.

There is a huge amount of misinformation out there regarding this topic - and if teachers don't try to engage with their students then this will continue to be the case.

I respectfully disagree.

In terms of your first point - it is something I take very seriously. Someone else mentioned playing devil's advocate and that is also something that I use to stimulate debate and discussion. History is a topic of opinion and argument. I want my classes to engage with the topics covered - and to see as many sides as they can.

There is a huge amount of misinformation out there regarding this topic - and if teachers don't try to engage with their students then this will continue to be the case.

You can tackle misinformation and fire debate and interest and conversation without using your own opinion. It is absolutely irrelevant.

Gotta agree with Tubbs here. If you're a public service professional, you have to approach all work-related duties in a politically impartial manner. We've already had guidance stating that we can't even display Yes/No stickers on our cars when we're using them for work purposes.

However, outwith work it's a different matter. My "Yes" car sticker will be displayed as soon as I go on holiday on 5th September :thumsup2

Archived