How can the BBC consider itself neutral?

Casual Bystander

The difference is that those Rangers fans you speak of are all fuckwits :) and if you believe that the BBC have not been biased in this referendum then you should be lumped into the same category.

Errr... well people probably resent having to pay to be brainwashed.

This is exactly what the Rangers supporters say when they're waving their little banners at the Biased Bigoted Corrupt BBC.

It's also exactly the same as EU referendum types, climate change deniers, Tories/Labourites/Lib Dems/Greens/UKIPpers, pro-Israel/pro-Palestine folk and every other assorted nutter in the country says, and has been saying very loudly for years, all of them equally certain that the BBC is hugely biased against them, and every one of them boiling about being made to pay for it.

If I was the guy charged with answering complaints at the BBC, I'd have an incinerator for an in-tray.

It's also exactly the same as EU referendum types, climate change deniers, Tories/Labourites/Lib Dems/Greens/UKIPpers, pro-Israel/pro-Palestine folk and every other assorted nutter in the country says, and has been saying very loudly for years, all of them equally certain that the BBC is hugely biased against them, and every one of them boiling about being made to pay for it.

Two questions:

1) Do you think there is a conflict of interest for the BBC and the independence referendum? If so, don't you think they should be open about it.

2) Do you think that the BBC has adhered to it's own policy of maintaining neutrality?

There's never any doubt that the BBC has shown bias, in just about any debate. Google "BBC bias" for examples from far beyond these shores.

Two questions:

1) Do you think there is a conflict of interest for the BBC and the independence referendum? If so, don't you think they should be open about it.

2) Do you think that the BBC has adhered to it's own policy of maintaining neutrality?

Oh probably, and probably not - on pretty much every controversial issue and many of the non-controversial ones, there are a million things you can catch the BBC out on, and a million fannies make a huge song and dance about what a scandal it all is.

Take a look at what supporters of both sides in the Israel/Palestine thing think of the BBC. They'd both agree about how deeply biased the BBC is and how badly it violates its charter against them.

There's never any doubt that the BBC has shown bias, in just about any debate. Google "BBC bias" for examples from far beyond these shores.

Oh probably, and probably not - on pretty much every controversial issue and many of the non-controversial ones, there are a million things you can catch the BBC out on, and a million fannies make a huge song and dance about what a scandal it all is.

Take a look at what supporters of both sides in the Israel/Palestine thing think of the BBC. They'd both agree about how deeply biased the BBC is and how badly it violates its charter against them.

That rather nicely side steps the questions. Now bare in mind that this is purely in the context of Scottish independence and it's conflict of interest, do you think dismissing it as "just one of those things" is really acceptable? Especially considering it's public money that pays for that lack of transparency.

It's not just the BBC though,it's STV news and sky news as well as most if not all of the daily rags to.

The point being, and I referenced it in the first post, private companies are open to represent whatever views they wish. The BBC are a different case as they are publicly funded.

As I say, I have no issue with them being bias. It would be madness for them not to be considering a vote for independence would have a direct effect on them. The issue is that they roundly deny there is a conflict of interest like a blind man denying the sunset.

As I say, I have no issue with the BBC being biased. It's obviously in it's interest for the Union to remain. The problem I have is it's complete lack of transparency on this.

The BBC are as impartial on Scottish independence as Murdo McLeod is while commenting on Celtic games.

There. There.

Archived