All things Dundee FC

21 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Club statement:

http://dundeefc.co.uk/

"new initiative ways"  minter

Playing the Henmans in the good old US of A was a nonsense. IMO. But fair play to them for at least looking at something different.

It's another example of them blowing a lot of hot air. I like our current board but they've not delivered on a lot of the things they've said they'd accomplish. Not that we can complain, they've provided support to Hartley who has us as a regular top flight side.

13 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Playing the Henmans in the good old US of A was a nonsense. IMO. But fair play to them for at least looking at something different.

Agreed.  Also we now get another chance to beat them at Dens.  Something I've never seen...

The Sun has us in for Jack Byrne. Young winger (And wiki states he can also play through the middle or just behind the strikers) who has represented Republic of Ireland at every level up to and including U21's. He's also been called up to the main squad but yet to feature. Currently at Man City, was on loan at Blackburn earlier this season but was recalled after only making 4 appearances.

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The Sun has us in for Jack Byrne. Young winger (And wiki states he can also play through the middle or just behind the strikers) who has represented Republic of Ireland at every level up to and including U21's. He's also been called up to the main squad but yet to feature. Currently at Man City, was on loan at Blackburn earlier this season but was recalled after only making 4 appearances.

Never know what you are going to get with something like that but he spent last season in the Dutch top tier so hopefully he has something about him and a bit of maturity.

There will be the inevitable 'he never played Calder so no point...' etc comments but Hartley did take to Rhys Healey and looked willing to give him a major role so I think Calder was just a bit of a wee winging shite and not able to understand the tactical side of the game that was being asked of him.

Calder was last seasons version of Phil Roberts. Seemed like a complete troublemaker that refused to knuckle down and earn his place.

This Jack Byrne has had rave reviews from Cambuur fans from the little I can find on Twitter.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Calder was last seasons version of Phil Roberts. Seemed like a complete troublemaker that refused to knuckle down and earn his place.

This Jack Byrne has had rave reviews from Cambuur fans from the little I can find on Twitter.

The only issue I see is that if we're bringing a boy who has been rated as a decent player in the Dutch top flight last season and could probably take his pick of League One clubs to go on loan to - Hartley would likely have to make certain guarantees.

Depth is always handy but I'd imagine that he'd be in direct competition with Wighton and El-Bak (who have both played out wide in the last game or have been used as inside forwards) and maybe the midfield in general (either O'Hara or someone else if we drop him a little deeper again). When we are looking at another Dutch boy from a decent level too, that also increases the competition.

Always good to have competition and as many tools at our disposal as possible but I just worry we might go back to some magical mystery formations (Killie at home last season) in order to accommodate his favoured picks. Hartley is a very positive thinking manager in wanting to set out good footballing attack minded players but sometimes, it just doesn't link up so we end up playing some non pretty hoofball and don't get to demonstrate anyone's actual ability. Despite this, I do think his tactics have actually improved this season (probably quite a controversial statement) and he's starting to mature as a manager so I just hope that progress continues.

I don't think we'd sign Brands and Byrne to be honest. I think it'd be one or the other. We need a striker in the ilk of Haber in as if he got injured we'd be back to relying on Yordi again.

Off topic slightly but a boy from my work was telling me that apart from the St Mirren game in the cup, our next fixture at home on a Saturday 3pm is Hamilton mid April.

Tv fucking everything over again with games being moved to the Friday and Sunday. Few midweek games in there as well.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Off topic slightly but a boy from my work was telling me that apart from the St Mirren game in the cup, our next fixture at home on a Saturday 3pm is Hamilton mid April.

Tv fucking everything over again with games being moved to the Friday and Sunday. Few midweek games in there as well.

Correct. Our last Saturday 3pm kick off was Ross County on 10th December, meaning there will have been 5mths between traditional kick offs at home. Sign of the times I'm afraid.

21 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's a fucking joke. TV ruining the game.

English football is disgusting nowadays.

Thank you. 

Any chance of getting Tommy Craig on the centre circle next Saturday so i can show my appreciation towards him?
Thank you.

Totally agree. He should be guest of honour. What a hero.

Wouldn't fancy sitting next to him though, stinking of pish and his dinner spilt all over his clothes.