All things Dundee FC

Yup just heard this. Quite happy as think we can do better than him. Plus seems to always be carrying an injury of some sort

I haven't really been to enough games this season to judge him but from the games I have seen he has seemed solid. Apart from his madness against St Johnstone at Dens. Edited by Kid Twist

It was widely reported that he'd signed a two year deal at the time. If this is true, hopefully that means that Ferry, Roberts, Tankulic and the rest of the more 'risky' signings are actually only on one year with an option of the second.

Yup just heard this. Quite happy as think we can do better than him. Plus seems to always be carrying an injury of some sort

McPake who is meant to be this injury prone defender who plays two games a season has played in 21/24 league matches. Only two of them were actually missed through injuries (and probably the fact that we were expected to need to rest him at some point so were happy enough to let him sit out a couple) and the other was from a family bereavement.

He's been comfortably our most solid defender and without him, I'm pretty confident we would be a couple of league places below where we are.

I've always felt he's a bit under appreciated and the moment that summed it up for me was when I heard someone behind me say 'Eh we're way better without McPake in the team' only for the whole crowd to watch some good movement from John Sutton completely deceive Davo who didn't seem to have the intelligence to deal with the situation.

Not saying we can't do better but I would rather look at swapping others before picking him. He's superior to Davo (not meaning to say he's been bad this season but he doesn't have anywhere near the mental ability and gets caught out of position pretty easily), Konrad (although we've got a bit of hope in him and belief that he will be kick on and end up back in the first team, he has a couple of weaknesses that defenders just shouldn't have (e.g. aerial ability)) and Gadzilla is pretty unproven for the moment.

Davidson has done ok but apart from Aberdeen he has only played centre half against the weakest sides in league. He is ok to come in now and again but he would struggle with a prolonged run in team especially against stronger sides.

He just isn't good enough for this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Davidson has only played a handful of games this season and has done well. Would need to check but he has maybe won more games than lost.

Back to mcpake I havnt said he has missed games, I did say however he does seem to be on the ground alot holding any sort of injury.

If he goes then I trust Hartley to replace him we a better defender.

Hopefully we get money if he has another year.

Davo's record is probably a lot better than McPake's just because he's been in the team a lot less and the few games he's played at centre half have been when we've played OK. It's not really as simple as that obviously but even in those few games, he has made crucial errors (some that we have got away with) and they are the types of mistakes that Davidson just doesn't make regularly. Unfortunately, he's just not good enough for this level but he's fine for bringing in every so often. It's not that McPake just shades it over him, he's a lot better at what he does.

The mistakes McPake has made have been over the course of a long season and you have to remember that although there are a couple of incidents that stand out (penalty against St Johnstone), our defensive weaknesses mostly come from when we have played a very attacking system and the midfield have received no cover.

Him half fit is better than what we currently have.

People saying "I think we can do better" (theres a couple on thedarkblues forum saying it too) - How and where exactly? I know Mcpake isn't Maldini but where exactly to you suggest we go out and get a better centre half for this level on our budget? The Premiership is hardly littered with great defenders - United are 4th and their defence is brutal. Then we have the defences of the likes of St Mirren, Motherwell, Ross County aswell. The quality of defending in the league is poor.

Decent defenders that are willing to play in our league on modest budgets aint exactly growing on trees. As far as that criteria goes, we'd be hard pushed do to better than Mcpake.

Edited by Mr Gandosaur

Thought McPake was excellent beginning of season but his performances have faded quite badly - hopefully a temporary blip. Davo does make quite a few mistakes but he certainly brings a more attacking threat to the team by being willing, and able, to win the ball in the middle of the park when he is a centre back, particularly from opposition keepers kick outs. Overall his passing is pretty reasonable too. I would keep playing him as a centre half and allow a more attacking midfield - I still haven't seen what Thomson brings to the team above McAlister, McGowan, Stewart, Harkins and Harris (or Wighton) - my current preferred midfield 5.

Thought McPake was excellent beginning of season but his performances have faded quite badly - hopefully a temporary blip. Davo does make quite a few mistakes but he certainly brings a more attacking threat to the team by being willing, and able, to win the ball in the middle of the park when he is a centre back, particularly from opposition keepers kick outs. Overall his passing is pretty reasonable too. I would keep playing him as a centre half and allow a more attacking midfield - I still haven't seen what Thomson brings to the team above McAlister, McGowan, Stewart, Harkins and Harris (or Wighton) - my current preferred midfield 5.

2 weeks ago I would have agreed with you about Thomson - but for me he was outstanding at both St Mirren and Aberdeen. I actually think he is better suited to away games though where we need to try and keep the ball as opposed to at home where he maybe slows the play down a bit.

I like McPake and think he's probably out best CH, although I'll admit that sometimes his positioning can be off which leads to him having to make a last minute lunge to win the ball. The 4th goal in the last Derby is an example of his poor positioning. The gap between him and Dyer was far too big making the through ball to GMS a lot easier.

Still think he's easily one of the better CH's among the bottom 6 sides and Hamilton.

Over the season as a whole, I would say McPake has been up there with GGH and McGowan as our best player. Irvine, Bain and Stewart are on fire and one of them will will POTY if they continue playing as well, but over the course of the season so far McPake has been excellent. Criticism of him is just fucking daft.