All things Dundee FC

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Agreed, just trying to understand McCann's thinking

To be fair to McCann, he's not the only one that'd make that kind of decision. It's admirable how desperate he is to win especially considering the pressure he's under - but it's another damning indictment on his managerial ability. If only he had taken a step back for a second and considered the human being rather than being focused on the game only.

I absolutely hate seeing Dundee fans turn on our heroes. I think the lowest I've ever been was when that p***k had the 'Smith Out' sign away against St Johnstone. I absolutely hate hearing McCann being called a clown or a dick or whatever - but other than Bomber - he seems to be the first Dundee manager that is bringing it all onto himself. He's tried and failed to create a siege mentality. He's clearly a clever guy and not a slavering buffoon like Bomber, but he's ostracising himself rather than cultivating a feeling of inclusiveness.

If there was ever a time to punt him, it's now, a new manager needs a decent period of time to work with the squad and what better period than an international break? I'm all for Duffy but I reckon any change of face could give us at least a short term lift, it's that chronic.

I can handle getting beat. I can handle Dundee getting pumped. I can't handle a team that's not scored in a 3 games, taking until the 60th minute to get a shot on target against Motherwell at home. That's no disrespect against Motherwell, it's just not something I pay £340 every year to witness. It's genuinely the worst football I have witnessed since Chisholm and that's not the usual exaggeration from a fan that's watching his club underperform. It's genuinely awful.

Again being punished for making stupid mistakes. I didn’t think there was a lot in the game until Kasunga decided to fall over and fail to deal with the most basic of crosses. Dundee moved away from taking everything short yesterday and went a lot more direct up to Kallman.

Hamilton - being slated again but pulled off a couple of decent saves and wasn’t “flapping” at crosses. No idea why McGowan ran off the wall as Bigi was running up to take the free kick but Hamilton should still be saving it.

Kerr - it’s unfair on him as he’s never a left back. Looked solid defensively but no left foot.

Curran - I’m starting to think it’s time to get Kerr back into his preferred position if we’re persisting with a 4.

Meekings/Kasunga we’re both a disaster waiting to happen and it happened.

Nabi and Madianga are wasted out wide, IMO. Nabi is more suited to being a 10, with Madianga looking most effective in the middle. Starting with a flat 4 in the middle didn’t help them yesterday but when he changed it to a 4-5-1 I thought Kharl came into it a bit more as he was more central.

McGowan - unlucky after a good save from Carson but thought he had a pretty poor game overall. Mentioned above his choice to come off the wall for the second goal being an odd one.

Kallman - put in a hell of a shift against the well defence. Won a lot of free kicks and looked strong. Took his goal well but had a couple of other decent chances which he could have scored.

K.Miller - I thought in the first half he showed a lot of urgency and looked like he was trying to up the tempo. Still got a bit to offer and think him and Kallman could form a bit of a partnership. However, after 65mins he looked tired, which was Livi fans concern.

Inniss - big lad and looked comfortable on the ball and also put a few big challenges in. Won’t judge yet.

C.Miller - stupid foul for the second goal, really stupid. Aside from that he looked bright and put some brilliant balls into the box. The 3 Kallman chances all came from his crosses.

Another tight game decided by defensive blunders. With a couple of hard games coming up it’s not looking good but I think McCann will be given until the Livi game to sort things out.

Edited to add:
Spence - he’s just not Glenn Kamara and it shows. However, the thing McCann can be blamed most for yesterday was his reaction to Spence’s head knock. Winning isn’t worth a players health and demanding he came back on after the doctor said he had to come off should be investigated by the club. For the third goal Spence didn’t have a clue where he was and the had spent the previous 5 mins floating around clearly concussed.

I was typing my comments yesterday when the site crashed. However no need now as I agree with this summary completely. Although disappointed when leaving yesterday - with a new CH paring and full backs in their normal positions progress can be made.

'Well's physically stronger midfield were always likely to boss this fixture and they did. I suppose NMs failing if anything is not having the personnel to cope.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I absolutely hate seeing Dundee fans turn on our heroes. I think the lowest I've ever been was when that p***k had the 'Smith Out' sign away against St Johnstone. I absolutely hate hearing McCann being called a clown or a dick or whatever - but other than Bomber - he seems to be the first Dundee manager that is bringing it all onto himself. He's tried and failed to create a siege mentality. He's clearly a clever guy and not a slavering buffoon like Bomber, but he's ostracising himself rather than cultivating a feeling of inclusiveness.

If there was ever a time to punt him, it's now, a new manager needs a decent period of time to work with the squad and what better period than an international break? I'm all for Duffy but I reckon any change of face could give us at least a short term lift, it's that chronic.

I can handle getting beat. I can handle Dundee getting pumped. I can't handle a team that's not scored in a 3 games, taking until the 60th minute to get a shot on target against Motherwell at home. That's no disrespect against Motherwell, it's just not something I pay £340 every year to witness. It's genuinely the worst football I have witnessed since Chisholm and that's not the usual exaggeration from a fan that's watching his club underperform. It's genuinely awful.

I'm far from being sold on Duffy but the one thing I think could potentially be interesting about him is that he has experience working in director of football roles. If he were to come in and steady the ship, he could maybe move upstairs and add a bit of footballing oversight to the management team.

Football fans are generally hysterical about anything and will blame absolutely everything and verge into fantasy so I'm pretty sure we'd get all sorts of made up stories about Duffy 'interfering' etc if we did that but I still think it's necessary. If I were suddenly put in charge of a football club, I'd certainly want someone experienced to connect the footballing side of things to the board and I think it's a role which has become very important these days.

I'm sure McCann is a clever enough guy but he seems (like Hartley) stubborn and not learning from his mistakes. Also have to question his man management skills?

Don't claim to have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes but aren't most of our signings coming through the same agency? What's the connection there and why ignore tried and tested players from this country in favour of untested players from elsewhere? Why let Waddell and Jeffries go to bring in another two untested young players from England who could take long enough to settle here if at all before they're away again?

Seems to me he's overcomplicating things which is possibly down to inexperience or he maybe just has bags of confidence in himself......sadly as much as I'd have loved him to do well I just can't see it happening and anyone else coming in has a massive job to turn that around. Don't think the board will sack him (although if it comes out he has gone against a doctor's advice on Spence he's on a sticky wicket) but if they do I'd love to see an experienced guy in there, no more young novices, someone who's been there and done it

The board backed McCann in the transfer window there is no chance he is getting punted soon.

Even if we get a fucking skelping from rangers and hibs it Will be business as usual.

I'll give him the first quarter of the season then if it has not changed I'll go full heads gone

19 minutes ago, ravabelli said:

I'm sure McCann is a clever enough guy but he seems (like Hartley) stubborn and not learning from his mistakes. Also have to question his man management skills?

Don't claim to have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes but aren't most of our signings coming through the same agency? What's the connection there and why ignore tried and tested players from this country in favour of untested players from elsewhere? Why let Waddell and Jeffries go to bring in another two untested young players from England who could take long enough to settle here if at all before they're away again?

Seems to me he's overcomplicating things which is possibly down to inexperience or he maybe just has bags of confidence in himself......sadly as much as I'd have loved him to do well I just can't see it happening and anyone else coming in has a massive job to turn that around. Don't think the board will sack him (although if it comes out he has gone against a doctor's advice on Spence he's on a sticky wicket) but if they do I'd love to see an experienced guy in there, no more young novices, someone who's been there and done it

Criminal what McCann did to him, great young prospect who hardly put a foot wrong, now he's fucking around in the diddy league, while bombscare Kusunga plays every week.

As much as I'm wanting McCann punted and I reckon the fans are turning on Nelms slightly because of McCann's failings there is part of me that loves that Nelms is so loyal because we've been far too trigger happy in the past.

Now is the time though.

Terrible that he forced Spence to play after the doctor said his game was over. Not the first time McCann has done this though. I was shocked that he forced O’Hara to play on for more than 30mins after he got his teeth knocked out.

30 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Criminal what McCann did to him, great young prospect who hardly put a foot wrong, now he's fucking around in the diddy league, while bombscare Kusunga plays every week.

100% agree, he was a bit raw but what did he do wrong other than lack experience, which is, if I recall correctly what he was replaced with?  Him and Hendry looked the best central defence pairing we had last season. Why start fucking around with another unknown and punt him on loan?

Parish

Kerr Innis Boyle Ralph

Curran McGowan Madianga Miller

Kallman Miller

Keep it simple, the defenders are told safety first, Curran provides cover for Kerr, likewise Miller for Ralph. Nae fucking about.

Just seen the highlights so Motherwell’s  2nd from the free kick wasn’t as clear from the Derry but what is Hamilton’s attempt at a save all about?  

Also, who is it that breaks from the wall just as the kick is being taken?  What’s that all about?  It’s called a wall for a reason!

Just seen the highlights so Motherwell’s  2nd from the free kick wasn’t as clear from the Derry but what is Hamilton’s attempt at a save all about?  
Also, who is it that breaks from the wall just as the kick is being taken?  What’s that all about?  It’s called a wall for a reason!

McGowan breaks from the wall, no idea why. Also his shot inside the box in the second half had the usual strength of an under 10s striker on his weaker foot.

Oh dear. Not sure what to say after yesterday.  Lots of differing opinions as to whether McCann should stay or go so early in the season, but I have to say that the results on the park aren't good enough. His recruitment may or may not be decent, but his use of players is terrible. Signing a left back and then playing a right back out of position (I know Ralph was injured yesterday, but he did it before then too) and a right winger at right back AND THEN bringing on what was ostensibly another left back and still leaving the two full backs out of playing out of position is nothing short of criminal. Wighton never got an extended run in the team (admittedly, that wasn't just a McCann thing) and kind of fizzled out, the sense of paying actual cash for a keeper no better, if not worse, than the existing one is non-existent and the tombola selection tactics just aren't helping.

Just had a look at the stats for last season - McCann signings scored 24 league goals last season (just looked at league, due to the fact that we played lower league teams in the cups and didn't want to skew the findings) - 7 for Moussa, 6 for AJ, 3 for Murray and Waddell, 1 each for Hendry, Caulker, Kusunga, Deacon and Henvey. 6 scored by Central Defenders, so 18 for 5 attack-minded players. Wolters, Spence, Jon  and Kamara didn't score and the rest were either goalies or only played a couple of times as subs. That just isn't good enough.

He's had three transfer windows to fix the obvious problems with the squad, and he hasn't. Kallman & K. Miller and the new signings from Friday haven't had time to make an impact yet, am reasonably impressed with Kharl so far, and Elton, C Miller and Nabi have looked decent in flashes. Unless there's a huge improvement once they gel into the squad, we will be going down. I honestly don't think McCann is the man to make it happen, and I'm sticking with my Hopkin/Duffy dream team to rescue the season.

Thank God for international breaks!!!

Edited by Spikethedee

1 hour ago, srw said:

Parish

Kerr Innis Boyle Ralph

Curran McGowan Madianga Miller

Kallman Miller

Keep it simple, the defenders are told safety first, Curran provides cover for Kerr, likewise Miller for Ralph. Nae fucking about.

Curran McGowan Kamara Madianga Miller

Kallman (to 60min) Miller (60-90min)

Really have to play Kamara, McGowan should drop out but we play a lot worse without his leadership. Madianga also well worth a start. Agree we need width which Curran and Miller bring. Better to be creating chances with one striker than, as v Motherwell, create hardly anything.

Just now, DieDee said:

Curran McGowan Kamara Madianga Miller

Kallman (to 60min) Miller (60-90min)

Really have to play Kamara, McGowan should drop out but we play a lot worse without his leadership. Madianga also well worth a start. Agree we need width which Curran and Miller bring. Better to be creating chances with one striker than, as v Motherwell, create hardly anything.

Jesus, cant believe I forgot about Kamara :unsure: he should be 1st name on the teamsheet as well!!!!